[3.17] Chieftain Righteous Fire/Death's Oath help requested.

I don't play SUPER often, but when I find a build that I like, I'll play for hours without thinking about it. This started off as a RF/Incinerate build, but as soon as I found out about Death's Oath I had to give it a shot to see if I could pull it off and make a true Walking Sim build.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good. xD So, I'm asking for help from more experienced players to see if there's anything I can do to improve the build, or maybe point out something idiotic that I'm doing that I should change immediately.

I was following the guide set up by Wrecker_of_Days (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229546) before I went off script.

Talent Tree:
Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/Em4XiAAK
Poe.ninja: https://poe.ninja/pob/1mT
Pob.in: https://pobb.in/OZkU9duUHgeu

Items/Gems/Links

A few things;

-I like being tanky and un-critable with lotsa life, which is why I'm using a shield. Every point from from 89 to whenever I stop playing it is probably going to Life Nodes when I can get them.

-I have 2 gems in the talent tree that have an 8% chance to Phase Run on kill that I love. Helps run through big packs.

-Resistances are all capped.

-I'm to understand that I need Fire/Chaos/Damage-Over-Time/DoT Multipliers for more damage. I have a nice ring that increases Chaos Damage, and that increases the damage done from Death's Oath, yes? Or does any and all damage come from the gems that are supported by Death's Oath?

-Tempest Shield keeps me from being Shocked, and the Spell Block is nice, especially with Glancing Blows. Winterheart stops Chill.

-If the simple solution is to go all out Incinerate/Righteous Fire and drop Death's Oath, then I guess that's what I'd hafta do. I simply wanted to make a full Walking Sim build with no attacks. xD

Feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong and need to change up. I like the build and it does well, but I do get one-shot sometimes and I'd love a way to become more...indestructible? Anything I can do to make it all go smoother, I mean.

Thanks for the help!!
Last edited by RykenPrime on Feb 21, 2022, 3:03:04 PM
Last bumped on Feb 21, 2022, 4:51:34 PM
I hate to be the one breaking your dreams, but I doubt you can scale both Death Aura and Rf simultaneously. Accotding to your PoB, your RF has ~200k dps, and Death Aura... 7500. At this point it's beyond negligible sadly. Just using a well rolled Kaom's Heart chest would give you four times more damage (30k vs 7,5k), as both %increeased fire damage and flat life benefit RF.

On a more general aspect, it is very hard, if even possible, to properly scale two different kinds of damage, here fire DoT and chaos DoT. Damage conversion doesn't work for DoT, and besides the 'Acrimony' nodes (and Growth and Decay, which sits miles away), there is litteraly no way to increase both DoT in the tree. That means you must rely on medium cluster jewels as pretty much your sole way to buff your damage... Note that alternative ways to buff RF, increasing your life pool and getting +1 skill level mods, won't help Death Aura either. Even the Blackflame ring won't work, as RF doesn't count as ignite.

If you want to play pure walking simulator (and I won't blame you on that !), I may have three suggestions:

- Either you use Kaom's Heart and use only RF for damage. I did this in Expedition league, and while bossing takes quite some time, it works, and mapping is fine.

- Or you use a regular chest and slot in a 6L with a DoT skill you'll use on bosses and tough rares, that you have to manually cast, but not channel (not a true walking simulator but better than Incinerate). This is the best option damage-wise and for bossing.

- Last, that I didn't test to tell you the truth: use a regular chest with a 6L DoT skill, probably Flame Wall or Fire Trap, linked with Cast when Damage Taken (lvl 20). This should work even better with a shield with 5% recovery on block and a bit more block chance (for example by pathing towards Sanctuary): this allows you to withstand pretty much everything a regular T16 map cna throw at you while recovering just as fast, but still progressing towards CWDT threshold and throwing a Flame wall/trap every now and then.
This way you have another damaging skill while sticking to the true Walking Sim style !

Any of these should work (way) better than Death Aura splashed in a RF build, I think.
Last edited by PoitelMarto on Feb 21, 2022, 4:28:21 PM
"
PoitelMarto wrote:
I hate to be the one breaking your dreams, but I doubt you can scale both Death Aura and Rf simultaneously. Accotding to your PoB, your RF has ~200k dps, and Death Aura... 7500. At this point it's beyond negligible sadly. Just using a well rolled Kaom's Heart chest would give you four times more damage (30k vs 7,5k), as both %increeased fire damage and flat life benefit RF.

On a more general aspect, it is very hard, if even possible, to properly scale two different kinds of damage, here fire DoT and chaos DoT. Damage conversion doesn't work for DoT, and besides the 'Acrimony' nodes (and Growth and Decay, which sits miles away), there is litteraly no way to increase both DoT in the tree. That means you must rely on medium cluster jewels as pretty much your sole way to buff your damage... Note that alternative ways to buff RF, increasing your life pool and getting +1 skill level mods, won't help Death Aura either. Even the Blackflame ring won't work, as RF doesn't count as ignite.

If you want to play pure walking simulator (and I won't blame you on that !), I may have three suggestions:

- Either you use Kaom's Heart and use only RF for damage. I did this in Expedition league, and while bossing takes quite some time, it works, and mapping is fine.

- Or you use a regular chest and slot in a 6L with a DoT skill you'll use on bosses and tough rares, that you have to manually cast, but not channel (not a true walking simulator but better than Incinerate). This is the best option damage-wise and for bossing.

- Last, that I didn't test to tell you the truth: use a regular chest with a 6L DoT skill, probably Flame Wall or Fire Trap, linked with Cast when Damage Taken (lvl 20). This should work even better with a shield with 5% recovery on block and a bit more block chance (for example by pathing towards Sanctuary): this allows you to withstand pretty much everything a regular T16 map cna throw at you while recovering just as fast, but still progressing towards CWDT threshold and throwing a Flame wall/trap every now and then.
This way you have another damaging skill while sticking to the true Walking Sim style !

Any of these should work (way) better than Death Aura splashed in a RF build, I think.

I kinda had a feeling Death Aura wasn't doing so much. But thank you for telling me and taking the time to help!!

I like the suggestion of Kaom's Heart, so I'll prolly try something like that, if I can get my hands on one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info