[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

Thanks for the guide, I did TR in 3.17 and it was a very reliable build.
"
lemonpopplar wrote:
Thanks for the guide, I did TR in 3.17 and it was a very reliable build.

You're welcome ;)
// Information and setup regarding the Atlas skill tree has been updated as well as optimized according to both the 3.18 changes and learnings from 3.17.
Last edited by fezz8386 on May 11, 2022, 5:28:05 AM
"
Thayaric wrote:
I made a few changes to your basic build over the league but I've had a blast this league with the Toxic Rain Champion.

I rather take devouring diadem than any other helm. This improves my auras and enlighten, gives mana reservation efficiency and above all else cures the mana issues without a replica conqueror's efficiency and -x mp cost ring crafts.

I can do all map mods, though I avoid - max resists as I simply don't like that modifier. I don't die very much even on highly juiced maps with a level of HP that would normally make me worry hard over staying alive.

Here's my POB :- https://pastebin.com/5rmest0y

Got my DPS to a shade under 7M.

My biggest issue was saving the first 10 ex or so to create my weapon. Once I had that it was all systems go. I was happily farming t16 maps with a 5L quill rain for a long time.

Thanks for the time you put into making my league a blast.

I did TR for the last several leagues then went to Lightning Strike champ (not raider). May go back to TR 3.18 but LS was a blast for a change if you get bored of TR. Similar overall - no complex mechanics, ez mode and omni makes it so ez to get dmg and res. And still trusty champ :)
// The endgame items & crafts section was strongly revised and now contains detailed information regarding base type, minimum recommended modifiers, additional nice-to-have modifiers, acquisition and crafting for each item slot. On top of that the guides provides tailor-made links to the PoE Trade website for which different budgets are taken into account. This information is rounded off with a visual example item.
I don't know if you would consider this stuff too complex or not, just some thoughts I had when going over your guide, which is very well detailed!

Vendor Search while leveling with Splitting/Shattering Steel (main point is catching a g-g-r, and some r sockets for things like Ancestral Protector and Maim, but will also highlight appropriate 2 links g-r if you can't find a 3 link.

r-r-|-r-r|r-.-r|g-g-r|g-r-g|r-g-g|g-r|r-g|nne

generated via https://poe.re/ by wezed
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/unxkes/poere_a_tool_for_generating_vendor_search_strings/

Tested via the Act 1, 2, 3 vendors and it works as intended.

PoB

Silver flask stood out to me since it doesn't have a Prefix. It also has Freeze immunity on it, which you wouldn't need if you are using the upgraded Soul of the Brine King for Freeze immunity.

Current utility flask tech is to run Flagellant Flasks for charges gained when hit, but that requires ilvl 80 flasks which you won't see until around T13 maps. Next best roll is Masochists' which requires an ivl 63 flask. Craft with x5 Instilling Orbs + 5 Glassblower's Baubles for Used when Charges reach full. It isn't quite as effective on chars with high evasion, but it still works well.

Vaal Molten Shell

Should always be on a Cast When Damage Taken. You want it to proc when you are taking damage, not randomly. Pop Vaal Molten Shell when you know you are about to take damage or run into a dangerous situations (popping open an essence for instance, especially one with multiple essences) or when you see incoming damage such as boss slam that you can't dodge.

Current tech is to have either CWDT (1) + Vaal Molten Shell (10) or CWDT (2) + Vaal Molten Shell (11) so it procs often. You can check Lightee's (Ben's) more recent characters to confirm this.

Map Mods/Map Rolling

I've been doing a fair amount of SSF HC in private leagues and something I've become more cognizant of is map rolling.

For white maps 1-5 you have to run them transmuted for map completion. Try to roll them in such a way that you limit risk to your char. I don't know about you, but I hate dying even when playing SC.

For example

Multifarious (area has increased monster variety) + Of Balance (Players Cannot Inflict Exposure)

Are basically low risk map mods that do not impact a Toxic Rain Champion's defenses or offense.

whereas

Shocking (Monsters deal 50-69% Extra Physical Damage as Lighting) + of Deadliness (monsters have 160-200% increased critical strike chance, 30-35% to monster critical multiplier)

is the kind of thing you want to avoid until/unless you have a way to mitigate shock (Garukhan pantheon + roll on gear) and/or +max lightning res (eater/exarch implicit), and a way to take no extra damage from critical strikes (Viridi's Veil).

For yellow maps you have to run them rare for completion so you Alch + Scour until you get mods that are not likely to kill you.

For red maps you have to run them corrupted for completion you transmute + augment until you get as benign as map mods a possible. You then regal. If still pretty benign you vaal orb and hope it goes corrupt and unID, which means the map mods you had on there stayed on there and no new nasty mods were added. Also you hope it does not change it to a different map that you already completed, but that is a different problem.

Where do a I get scours and regals? Heist Lockpicking contracts can be a good source of currency orbs. You can also sell 4 orbs of chance for 1 scour (but don't do this while you are still buying maps from Kirac). For regals you can also do the regal recipe once you get into T10 maps as you have to turn in sets of unID rare gear (armour, boots, helm, gloves, x2 rings, 1 amulet, 2 weapons) that are i level 77+.

Kirac generally offers maps with some pretty nasty modifiers. You have to be very selective when choosing missions from him to ensure you are not getting overly deadly modifiers. Be liberal in your use of Scouting Reports to re-roll his missions to try to find ones that won't kill you.
"
cirerrek wrote:
I don't know if you would consider this stuff too complex or not, just some thoughts I had when going over your guide, which is very well detailed!

Vendor Search while leveling with Splitting/Shattering Steel (main point is catching a g-g-r, and some r sockets for things like Ancestral Protector and Maim, but will also highlight appropriate 2 links g-r if you can't find a 3 link.

r-r-|-r-r|r-.-r|g-g-r|g-r-g|r-g-g|g-r|r-g|nne

generated via https://poe.re/ by wezed
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/unxkes/poere_a_tool_for_generating_vendor_search_strings/

Tested via the Act 1, 2, 3 vendors and it works as intended.

PoB

Silver flask stood out to me since it doesn't have a Prefix. It also has Freeze immunity on it, which you wouldn't need if you are using the upgraded Soul of the Brine King for Freeze immunity.

Current utility flask tech is to run Flagellant Flasks for charges gained when hit, but that requires ilvl 80 flasks which you won't see until around T13 maps. Next best roll is Masochists' which requires an ivl 63 flask. Craft with x5 Instilling Orbs + 5 Glassblower's Baubles for Used when Charges reach full. It isn't quite as effective on chars with high evasion, but it still works well.

Vaal Molten Shell

Should always be on a Cast When Damage Taken. You want it to proc when you are taking damage, not randomly. Pop Vaal Molten Shell when you know you are about to take damage or run into a dangerous situations (popping open an essence for instance, especially one with multiple essences) or when you see incoming damage such as boss slam that you can't dodge.

Current tech is to have either CWDT (1) + Vaal Molten Shell (10) or CWDT (2) + Vaal Molten Shell (11) so it procs often. You can check Lightee's (Ben's) more recent characters to confirm this.

Map Mods/Map Rolling

I've been doing a fair amount of SSF HC in private leagues and something I've become more cognizant of is map rolling.

For white maps 1-5 you have to run them transmuted for map completion. Try to roll them in such a way that you limit risk to your char. I don't know about you, but I hate dying even when playing SC.

For example

Multifarious (area has increased monster variety) + Of Balance (Players Cannot Inflict Exposure)

Are basically low risk map mods that do not impact a Toxic Rain Champion's defenses or offense.

whereas

Shocking (Monsters deal 50-69% Extra Physical Damage as Lighting) + of Deadliness (monsters have 160-200% increased critical strike chance, 30-35% to monster critical multiplier)

is the kind of thing you want to avoid until/unless you have a way to mitigate shock (Garukhan pantheon + roll on gear) and/or +max lightning res (eater/exarch implicit), and a way to take no extra damage from critical strikes (Viridi's Veil).

For yellow maps you have to run them rare for completion so you Alch + Scour until you get mods that are not likely to kill you.

For red maps you have to run them corrupted for completion you transmute + augment until you get as benign as map mods a possible. You then regal. If still pretty benign you vaal orb and hope it goes corrupt and unID, which means the map mods you had on there stayed on there and no new nasty mods were added. Also you hope it does not change it to a different map that you already completed, but that is a different problem.

Where do a I get scours and regals? Heist Lockpicking contracts can be a good source of currency orbs. You can also sell 4 orbs of chance for 1 scour (but don't do this while you are still buying maps from Kirac). For regals you can also do the regal recipe once you get into T10 maps as you have to turn in sets of unID rare gear (armour, boots, helm, gloves, x2 rings, 1 amulet, 2 weapons) that are i level 77+.

Kirac generally offers maps with some pretty nasty modifiers. You have to be very selective when choosing missions from him to ensure you are not getting overly deadly modifiers. Be liberal in your use of Scouting Reports to re-roll his missions to try to find ones that won't kill you.

Thanks for the input/feedback (some of this is actually beneficial and I've put it on my todo-list, some of it is too much information imo). It's always a challenge to decide which information a beginner guide should contait and which not. And there's not a correct answer most of the time, unfortunately :D.
"
fezz8386 wrote:

Thanks for the input/feedback (some of this is actually beneficial and I've put it on my todo-list, some of it is too much information imo). It's always a challenge to decide which information a beginner guide should contait and which not. And there's not a correct answer most of the time, unfortunately :D.

Glad to hear some of it was useful. Completely understand on the difficulty of knowing your audience. Best of luck on your leaguestart if you are playing!

I will be league starting this in 3.18. As someone who has only ever done maybe 1 or 2 yellow maps ever I am excited to see if my progress this league will be better. Will provide feedback and what I am able to accomplish this league using this guide for leveling/endgame! Thanks for all the hard work put into this guide!
"
cirerrek wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:

Glad to hear some of it was useful. Completely understand on the difficulty of knowing your audience. Best of luck on your leaguestart if you are playing!

I will, thank you! If you do so too, have fun as well!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info