[3.18] Wallach's Siege Ballista Hierophant (Enjoy Consistent Character Balance)

"
Wallach wrote:
"
MisterTails wrote:
Currently playing this in the Atlas Invasion event. Been pretty good UNTIL I did the transition from Holy Flame Totem to Siege Ballista. Turns out I did not have all the equipment ready so it was a bit struggle bus.

I'm at maps now (starting tier 3) and the build is pretty good. No 5L since I transitioned out of using a Tabula, but a 4L with all the dex stacking is pretty awesome.

Is there a way to make the totems "active" sooner? I haven't played totems in several leagues, so it felt a bit weird starting out. Are totems supposed to have a short delay from being set to being able to begin attacking?

Yeah, if you try to switch too early it can be rough, especially since it's not exactly easy to "undo" given the relatively large respec involved.

There isn't really any way to change the activation period for any kind of totem. The only thing I can suggest is to try to get more attack speed & Onslaught uptime to try and shorten the windup of their first shot after the activation.

Ah, I see. I just rolled with it and started to "pre-fire" by setting up totems ahead of time and then walking forward to mitigate the activation period lag. Build is feeling a bit better now that I'm into yellow maps. I'm planning to stop at level 80 but debating on 90.

Thanks for the guide, Wallach. Its been awesome so far.
"
Zampano wrote:
Hello! I think I'm done min/maxing my gear and i hit level 99 on this build and wanted to give a little showcase and maybe some ideas to wallach for the "expensive" section.

Without flasks I get around 1.6M sirus dps per totem with the same PoB setup wallach uses. 1.9M per totem however poe.ninja calculates things. Pretty much insta-kills/insta-phases all bosses.

Some notes on my gear to hit 2200dex: both rings are synth 6% dex, this makes it harder to cap resists but it's worth it if you can. Wildwrap instead of hyrri's ire (still with +1 gems for the extra ballista), and to push me over the final hump, +dex krangle on the ammy. Culling strike on the bow is nice to have too.

Modded the tree a little bit to have two split personalities with +dex/+life, my brutal restraint has 2x +20 flat dex, and 1 +5% increased dex. The double modded hatred watchers eye (most expensive piece of gear in the build) adds tons of dmg too.

Overall probably the strongest build I've played, and certainly my highest leveled guy (previous highest was 95). Will definitively playing this next league as long as they leave it alone lol.

Please share a POB?
yo guys, I tried this in the invasion event, am much more of a noob than other people in this thread though!

I played around a bit in POB and was looking for a way to save a bit of stuff, mainly the "random" factors of this build (the gems and cluster jewels)

I hate looking for stuff and having to find perfect rolls for everything, it gets expensive reaally quickly - with uniques atleast I know upfront what I am getting myself into hehe.

I love that this build makes it easy to farm for stuff, so I wanted to go more in that direction, with only 3 gear items that aren't uniques. It has one less totem, because of the slight loss in dexterity, but gains more dps overall and has 69 resistances more than the original build, which greaty helped me getting my stuff. Enlighten 2 seems to do the job pretty well, The 3/4 might be overkill I think.

Onslaught is lost but could be put in with a silver flask maybe. All in all, I feel like this is even more budget friendly - what do you guys think?

https://pastebin.com/EHfbDj92
Update: Found out some new things

Greater Volley (in Frenzy slot) seems much more consistent in getting the Mark on my enemies from afar, I died way more often with multiple projectiles. As many budget oriented players will have 2 armor slots with 6 Sockets but only 5 links, blood rage can go into one of those, making space for an additional way to ensnare more enemies - maybe greater multiple proj, fork, pierce?

I imported my own gear into the build and changed it up again, this time with even more resists from the tree.

This is really easy to gear. Will be even cheaper once hyrris demise will go into the general loot pool when prohpecies are removed

https://pastebin.com/mENiRSSF
Here is an improvement to the build, which gives quite a lot more survivability for a skill point:
1. Allocate the "50% increased totem placement range" from a totem mastery
2. Use the "Ancestral Reach" cluster notable (together with "Sleepless Sentries"

This enables you to put out the ballista way ahead of you, in front or in the middle of the next pack of mobs (which will aggro it due to another totem mastery). And you can also summons totems around corners etc and stay out of the way.

Another trick I use (which is more of a personal preference) is to use an arcanist brand with frostbite, frost bomb, and summon stone golem, and then put a brand on the boss and let the ballista do their job.
Echoing the general sentiment that this build is amazing. Getting past the initial Dex hurdle is a little rough, but once you hit 1K+ everything starts to fall into place. I tried this in Atlas Invasion and it went swimmingly.

Thank you for your hard work, Wallach. I'm definitely taking this into 3.17 if the horizon looks favorable!
"
abakus wrote:

Please share a POB?

PoB with 2.2k dex: https://pastebin.com/jdpQpFFE
excited to try this in delirium voided league. Loving the positive testimonials. Expect to crush everything till red maps, but from what I see this build appears to have a pretty hard glass ceiling and then the real ceiling afterwards that will likely limit it to just running white t16 maps as the most efficient and realistic way to ding 95 or 100

might not be the best choice because of how OP mentions the build doesnt do too well in simulacrums, but it will likely make up for it with the cheap uniques and the ease of getting started
Last edited by onceonce on Dec 31, 2021, 1:44:18 PM
"
onceonce wrote:
excited to try this in delirium voided league. Loving the positive testimonials. Expect to crush everything till red maps, but from what I see this build appears to have a pretty hard glass ceiling and then the real ceiling afterwards that will likely limit it to just running white t16 maps as the most efficient and realistic way to ding 95 or 100

might not be the best choice because of how OP mentions the build doesnt do too well in simulacrums, but it will likely make up for it with the cheap uniques and the ease of getting started

You can run some pretty rippy maps if you're careful and use your totems as a wall. There's quite a few mods I would personally avoid, but the ironic thing is, the more you focus on offense (through Dex and more Ballistas), the tankier you become.

Between maxed out spell suppression, totem taunt, health regen that scales with totem count, a surprisingly decent health pool, armor from Ironwood and permanent endurance charges, you can tank quite a lot more than you'd expect from a setup with no defensive auras.

Can you AFK tank Minotaur? Probably not, though.
Last edited by Corzanth on Dec 31, 2021, 9:49:38 PM
"
Zampano wrote:
"
abakus wrote:

Please share a POB?

PoB with 2.2k dex: https://pastebin.com/jdpQpFFE

Thanks! This looks amazing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info