[3.16] Davydavidsson's Doryani's Prototype Aura Champion | 90% ele Res | >1M armour | >10M DPS

IMPORTANT: This build lends a lot of its strength to Scourge modifiers, as Scourge is NOT going core in 3.17, this build will be much weaker from 3.17 onwards.

1. Introduction

I've had a bunch of people checking me out on poe.ninja and asking me about this build. I personally also feel very content with this build, and it arguably might just be the greatest build I've come up with so far, so I've decided to make this little write-up.

Summary:
This build aims to maximize armour through aura stacking to scale damage with Replica Dreamfeather and to offset the downside of Doryani's Prototype for a versatile build that is both tanky and aggressive in both map clearing and boss fights.

Inspiration:
I always like to invent my own builds that are off-meta and explore new avenues. Normally speaking I'd wind up playing some mediocre build with poor defensive layers. This time I wanted to play something more tanky, so I took the newly buffed defensive auras, mixed in some synergistic uniques, and the rest is history.

Pros:
- Fast clear speed
- Very few map mods you can't run
- Easily go over 200 Scourge stacks in T16's
- Respectable bossing dps
- Very resilient to most damage
- Great for party play
- Playable on a middle-sized budget (2ex~5ex) with much room for investment
- Smooth levelling

Cons:
- Weak to damage over time
- Relies heavily on build-enabling uniques
- Difficult to optimize without refined understanding of damage calculation

HC viable: yes
SSF viable: no

Stats (lvl 96, ~20 exalts):
- 4.9K life
- 465K armour (idle)
- 90% fire and cold res
- 90% physical and lightning hit reduction
- 15M peak Sirus dps (27M if you double dip Smite)
- All endgame content viable (comprehensive list in FAQ's)

Stats (lvl 98, post Mageblood):
- 4.9K life
- 1.2M armour
- 80M Sirus dps (144M if you double dip Smite)

Top dps champions week 2

Top dps champions week 7

Me, hitting #2 on Scourge dps ladder with 6.4B dps (don't try this at home):
https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds?time-machine=week-13&sort=dps

3. Path of Building

My build as of the time of writing (09-11-2021):
https://pastebin.com/hcy4bEN8

My build before Mageblood (16-11-2021):
https://pastebin.com/60S86C8e

Final version of my build for now (22-12-2021):
https://pastebin.com/MUyZxbF1

Baseline lvl 70 entry level version (no Aul's Uprising):
https://pastebin.com/QZPwe2Mr

4. Breakdown

Ascendancy:
I picked Champion because it has great synergy with armour and auras. You could alternatively run this exact build with Scion (Champion/Berserker), but I think it would just be less tanky.

Smite:
We use Smite because it gives you an aura, which synergizes well with the increased aura effect. It also has a very respectable added damage effectiveness, which is the main way this build scales damage.

Molten Shell:
Eventhough Molten Shell won't do any damage in this build; it is still the premier defensive layer. Because we have more than 50K armour, Molten Shell will always shield you for 10K damage, effectively tripling your lifepool when activated.

Body Armour:
Doryani's Prototype is the namesake of this build. To get the most damage out of this item, you need to minimize your lightning resistance so that you and, most importantly, nearby enemies will have -200% lightning resistance. You'll also want to maximize your armour to mitigate incoming lightning damage. Note that, unlike with resistances, armour only reduces damage from hits and does not reduce damage from Damage over Time effects; this means that you can easily tank Shaper Slam, but not Shaper Beam.

Weapons:
Because we're stacking armour, Replica Dearmfeathers will be our obvious weapons of choice. The attack speed roll is the most important one to maximize, because this build does not scale off of physical damage that much.

Helmet:
Alpha's Howl will help out a bunch with mana reservation, additionally it will also boost a couple of your auras. The best enchantments to get are aura effect for Smite, Defiance Banner effect, and attack speed with Ancestral Protector.

Amulet:
Aul's Uprising allows you to reserve one of your auras for free, preferably Determination or Grace, but Purity of Ice or Purity of Fire are also fine. If you do reserve Determination or Grace for free, you can support it with Arrogance and even Empower. You'll want to annoint your amulet with Influence.

Boots:
The boots are pretty much a flex slot in this build. Doryani's Delusions (with Purity of Ice/Fire) are the most cost efficient option, as you then no longer have to slot both purities into the Alpha's Howl.

Gloves:
These gloves took me about 10 exalts to craft, but there are cheaper alternatives. If you don't have gloves with the additional strike targets mod, you can spec into Tribal Fury for the same effect. You could also use the Abhorrent Interrogation gloves, which can provide a nice chunk of damage. Worldcarver is also a nice budget option that offers a lot for this build.

Rings:
Death Rush gives a lot of useful stats and onslaught. Vivinsect will nullify all your mana costs which lets you reserve more of your mana. You should mainly use your rings to fill in your resistances and attributes.

Belt:
The belt is another flex slot in this build; the main aim is just to get some life, resistances, and maybe some armour. Alternatively you could use a String of Servitude with increased Determination/Grace effect, but only if you don't need any other stats. It goes without saying that Mageblood is best in slot, more so even than for most other builds.

Jewels:
This build uses quite a lot of Cluster jewels, these are the passive mods you'll need:
- Introspection (x6)
- Fuel the Fight (x1), unless you have Vivinsect
- Feed the Fury (at least one)
- Combat Rhythm is a nice QoL, but not crucial

If you want to use a Watcher's Eye, you should look for these mods:
- Attack Speed with Precision
- Life gain on hit with Vitality
- Movement Speed with Grace
- Physical conversion with Wrath

Flasks:
Because the damage scales with Evasion and Armour, flasks greatly scale your damage. Use these flasks with these mods to maximize your damage, or with whichever ailment prevention you prefer:
- Anti-bleed life flask
- Rumi's Concoction
- Stibnite Flask with increased effect
- Jade Flask with increased effect
- Basalt Flask with increased effect
- Attack speed during effect
- Increased Evasion during effect
- Increased Armour during effect

Auras:
These auras are of core value to this build, it should not be difficult to reserve them:
- Defiance Banner (free reservation)
- Grace
- Determination
- Purity of Fire
- Purity of Ice

These auras (in descending order of impact) mostly just increase dps and QoL, but require some planning to fit into your build. Keep in mind that Precision and Vitality can easily be reserved using Arrogance Support:
- Precision (unless you can cap accuracy without it)
- Wrath
- Haste
- Vitality (mostly just for Watcher's Eye)

Stat priority:
These are the stats which scale your dps the most (in descending order of impact):
- Aura effect
- Negative lightning resistance (down to -200%)
- Attack speed
- Flat evasion
- Flat armour
- Flat lightning damage
- Increased armour
- Increased evasion
Keep in mind that this build does not scale well on increased damage of any source, due to Replica Dreamfeather. Also, resistance penetration does nothing while you're at -200% lightning resistance.

These are the stats which you want to fill out for your defenses (in descending order of importance):
- Capped cold and fire resistances
- Life (aim for about 5K or more)
- 300K armour (should not be hard for this build)
- >50% chaos resistance (only relevant for applicable content)

5. Playing tips

Molten Shell:
To maximize your Molten Shell uptime, you can bind it to whichever mouse button you use to move around with; this way it gets cast pretty much off cooldown. For specific bosses with telegraphed burst damage abilities you can bind it to something else; for example when you want to want to facetank the Phoenix Boom or Sirus Maze. If the map feels rippy, you should keep a couple flasks up during the Molten Shell downtime.

Double dipping Smite:
Every time you smite, there is a strike component and an AoE component; when a target gets hit by the strike component, they won't also get hit by the AoE component of that smite. If your smite targets additional nearby enemies (for example with Ancestral Call Support), you can smite the ground near your target, so that they get hit by both the AoE component of the original smite as well as the strike component of the smite copy; you'll deal effectively 80% more single-target damage this way.

Lightning Damage over Time:
As mentioned before, armour only reduces damage from hits, and not damage over time. This means that Doryani's Prototype will make you take lightning damage over time as though you had 0% lightning resistance. Fortunately there are not many sources of lightning damage over time in the game, but you should still know and beware of them, these are most notably:
- Shaper Beam
- Baran Tiles
- Boss in Mineral Pools Map (just don't run that map, you'll die every time)

Map mods:
Because this build is very resilient to many damage types, it can run pretty much any map mod/combination of map mods except for elemental damage reflect (unless you have reflect immunity). Besides that, you'll also want to avoid the anti-leech mod if you don't have Vivinsect; it's not impossible to run, but it's going to take you about twice as long.

Party play:
This build is great for party play, especially with other lightning damage builds; you provide a lots of defensive auras, you take the targets' lightning resistance down to -200%, you can shock, intimidate, and taunt targets. Keep in mind that your damage will be reduced if someone runs Purity of Lightning and/or Purity of Elements.

Gem Swaps:
When mapping you can swap out Ruthless Support for Behead Support, which massively boosts your clearspeed by extending your range and also gives you a nice Headhunter effect. When you want to run a map with anti-leech, you can also swap it out for Lifetap Support.

Adrenaline:
When you're about to face a boss, you can swap to a secondary weaponset with an Arrogance Support setup that gets you just below 50% life to proc your Adrenaline and swap back before the fight starts. Keep in mind not to socket any auras into your main weapon set for this.

6. Leveling

- Pick up Smite, Ancestral Call Support, and Added Fire Damage Support
- Pick up Herald of Ash and Herald of Purity
- Kill all bandits
- Path your way towards Tribal Fury, drop Ancestral Call Support
- Pick up Unstoppable Hero ascendancy and Fortify Support
- Path your way into Feed the Fury and Fuel the Fight
- Pick up Multistrike Support and Faster Attacks Support
- Path your way to elemental Overload
- Pick up Foritude ascendancy, drop Fortify Support
- Path your way to Iron Reflexes
- Once you transition to Replica Dreamfeathers, swap over to Determination and Grace
- Pick up Inspirational ascendancy
- Do Uberlab whenever you want and pick up First to Strike, Last to Fall ascendancy

7. My Gear

09-11-2021:

22-12-2021:

8. Budgeting

Important note: plug your setup into PoB before you buy stuff to see if everything fits.

<1 exalt:
That's barely going to get you a Doryani's Prototype, you should probably look for another build :(

2~5 exalts:
- Cheapest Replica Dreamfeathers and 6L Doryani's Prototype you can find without detrimental scourge mods that wreck the build
- Aul's Uprising for Purity of Fire/Ice and Doryani's Delusions with the opposite Purity
- Vivinsect (socket the Aul's Uprising aura)
- Alpha's Howl
- Medium ring Thread of Hope
- Fill the remaining slots with affordable rares
- Buy/craft as many Introspection cluster jewels as you can afford
With this budget you're unlinkely to hit -200% lightning resistance.

5~20 exalts:
- Replica Dreamfeathers with 10% increased attack speed
- Buy/craft 6 Introspection cluster jewels
- Cheap gloves with additional strike skill targets mod
- Enlighten Support
- Try to fill 5 gear slots with -X lightning resistance to hit -200%

20~50 exalts:
- Doryani's Prototype with increased aura effect scourge mod
- Alpha's Howl with +2 level of socketed aura/AoE gems
- Awakened Increased Added Lightning Damage and Elemental Damage with Attacks Support
- Anomalous Defiance Banner
- Aul's Uprising for Grace/Wrath/Haste
- Level 3 Enlighten
- Watcher's Eye; attack speed with Precision, conversion with Wrath, Movement speed with Grace, damage with Precision, damage with Wrath, block with Determination, etc.

50~200 exalts:
- Awakened Multistrike Support
- Level 4 Enlighten
- Aul's Uprising for Determination
- Dreamfeathers with Triple damage mod
- Boots with (elevated) Tailwind mod
- Gloves with 2 additional strike targets mod and culling strike

Jeff Bezos:
- Mageblood with increased Determination and Grace effect Vaal implicits, -#% lightning resistance and increased elemental damage with attack skills, and armour while Fortified enchantment

9. Things I've tried (last update: 16-11-2021)

Note: these are all adjustments I've tweaked into the main build seperately, they are not cumulative nor sequential.

- Squeezed in Aspect of the Spider
- Supported Determination and Defiance Banner with Arrogance and Empower, because they reserve nothing
- Supported Precision with Arrogance and implemented Vivinsect to remove ability costs, to squeeze in Haste and Vitality
- Added in Ancestral Warchief - Ancestral Protector - Multiple Totems setup

10. FAQ's [WIP]

How did you craft those gloves with 'Strike skills target 2 additional nearby enemies'?

- Get a Hunter influenced base
- Roll it until you get the additional strike skill target mod along with T1 Maximum Life and any one other Influenced mod
- Use a Maven Orb to elevate the additional strike skill target mod (this is a 50/50, start over if it fails)
- Craft prefixes can't be changed and scour it, leaving only the prefixes
- Craft a suffix on it which you do not want (I went with Lightning res) and slam an Exalted Orb, if you don't get a good suffix, craft prefixes can't be changed, scour it again and repeat this step
- I crafted Aspect of the Spider and Attack Speed, but you can fill the suffixes however you want.
- Added in Awakened Elemental Damage with Attacks Support to negate reflect damge

Alternatively you can use a Warlord-Hunter hybrid influence base and aim for Culling Strike or Melee Strike Range.

Whats the optimal crit chance we should aim for to maintain Elemental Overload?

To have a 100% Elemental Overload uptime on average you need to make sure that:
Hit% / Crit% - 1 < 8 * ApS / 3
Which basically means that the average number of rolls you need for a crit is smaller than the number of rolls you can make before Elemental Overload runs out.
If you have 10% crit chance (or 9.5% in my case), you'll need about 3.4 attacks per second to maintain Elemental Overload.
This is just an average however and in practice you won't have a 100% uptime, because binomial distribution and environmental factors.
Also keep in mind that we want to keep crit chance to a minimum, because there's no crit multiplier and the lightning damage mastery only makes non-crits lucky.
To answer your question: you should aim for as little crit as possible depending on your attack speed.
Additionally, if you feel like your Elemental Overload uptime is lacking, you could opt for the boot enchantment that increases crit chance if you haven't crit recently.

Are there sources of negative lightning resistance other than scourge mods?

Other viable options for this build would include Thread of Hope, Immortal Flesh, and Ventor's Gamble. However, keep in mind that these might hinder you from capping your other resistances.

Can this build do X?

Sirus A9: yes
Maven: yes
Simulacrum 30/30: yes
Uber Atziri: yes
Uber Elder: yes
Uber Izaro of Fortune: yes
The Formed: yes
The Twisted: yes
The Hidden: yes
The Forgotten: yes
The Feared: yes
5-way Legion: yes
Aul at D500+: yes
Mineral Pools: no
Ur Mom:

Last edited by davydavidsson on Jan 22, 2022, 8:57:12 PM
Last bumped on Jan 22, 2022, 8:57:51 PM
Will try out this build :) what ascendies in order?
"
Will try out this build :) what ascendies in order?

Unstoppable Hero - Fortitude - Inspirational - First to Strike, Last to Fall

I've also updated the levelling section accordingly.
I'm just starting out with your build and was just wondering, what method did you use to craft your gloves?
"
Lundi wrote:
I'm just starting out with your build and was just wondering, what method did you use to craft your gloves?

- Get a Hunter influenced base
- Roll it until you get the additional strike skill target mod along with T1 Maximum Life and any one other Influenced mod
- Use a Maven Orb to elevate the additional strike skill target mod (this is a 50/50, start over if it fails)
- Craft prefixes can't be changed and scour it, leaving only the prefixes
- Craft a suffix on it which you do not want (I went with Lightning res) and slam an Exalted Orb, if you don't get a good suffix, craft prefixes can't be changed, scour it again and repeat this step
- I crafted Aspect of the Spider and Attack Speed, but you can fill the suffixes however you want.

Alternatively you can use a Warlord-Hunter hybrid influence base and aim for Culling Strike or Melee Strike Range.
Last edited by davydavidsson on Nov 13, 2021, 2:32:25 AM
Did you consider Divine Flesh to mitigate lightning dot or it wouldn't matter that much?
"
smarjancic wrote:
Did you consider Divine Flesh to mitigate lightning dot or it wouldn't matter that much?

You could do that, but then you'd take 50% more damage from other elemental damage types (including lightning hits), because Chaos resistance would be 80% whereas you have 90% elemental damage mitigation. I think there are few enough sources of lightning damage over time, that you can just play around it.
I'm playing this build for a few days already and I'm having a blast. Got 2 questions related to smite:

1. When im trying to smite near the boss to get both strike and aoe dmg, it seems that strike usually targets the boss anyway, even if im not targeting the boss - is this double dip really working ?

2. I have around 10% crit, but seems that my elemental overload doesn't proc that often, whats the optimal crit we should aim for ?
"
greenrasp wrote:
I'm playing this build for a few days already and I'm having a blast. Got 2 questions related to smite:

1. When im trying to smite near the boss to get both strike and aoe dmg, it seems that strike usually targets the boss anyway, even if im not targeting the boss - is this double dip really working ?

2. I have around 10% crit, but seems that my elemental overload doesn't proc that often, whats the optimal crit we should aim for ?

1. As far as I know, it should work; on the wiki it also says it works, but that might be outdated. In my Sirus fight clip around 1:07 you can see him being hit by 'two' smites, unfortunately that is also right when he hits the 50% threshold.

2. To have a 100% Elemental Overload uptime on average you need to make sure that:
Hit% / Crit% - 1 < 8 * ApS / 3
Which basically means that the average number of rolls you need for a crit is smaller than the number of rolls you can make before Elemental Overload runs out.
If you have 10% crit chance (or 9.5% in my case), you'll need about 3.4 attacks per second to maintain Elemental Overload.
This is just an average however and in practice you won't have a 100% uptime, because binomial distribution and environmental factors.
Also keep in mind that we want to keep crit chance to a minimum, because there's no crit multiplier and the lightning damage mastery only makes non-crits lucky.
To answer your question: you should aim for as little crit as possible depending on your attack speed.
Additionally, if you feel like your Elemental Overload uptime is lacking, you could opt for the boot enchantment that increases crit chance if you haven't crit recently.
So, quick question about this build.

Smite converts 50% of phys to lightning. The chest deals no non lightning damage. Does the fact that we are losing the other 50% of phys dmg not mean anything? Or, I guess, why aren't we taking phys to lightning support?

Sorry if this is a noob question.

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info