[3.24] Holy Flame Totem Scion -- League Starter -- HC / SSF viable

"
SoulSlashen wrote:
I can't seem to find the Skill Gems used in the POB. Can you point me in the right direction?

Hm, I won't be able to look at it today, but I had some issues with last POB update, maybe it broke this as well.

In any case, try this one I had saved here: https://pastebin.com/pYEAmxB3

Note that damage may be showing "uber bosses" after last POB updates, you may want to change it to see the usual shaper/sirus values which is usually used to compare.
That one is doing the trick! Much appreciated Gui_Orioli!!! Excited to switch over to this and see it set the world on fire.
Hi Gui_orioli,

Based on the new information, is there anything that needs to update to suit 3.19? Something like mana reserve etc.

Thanks
"
FlappyRex wrote:
Hi Gui_orioli,

Based on the new information, is there anything that needs to update to suit 3.19? Something like mana reserve etc.

Thanks

Yeah, unfortunately this is a direct nerf to us. Will have to wait to see which auras we will be able to use.
Hey, guys. I’m looking at this build as a possible league starter. I want a build to start and switch to aurabot in the late game.

Is this a build that can get me going on a budget to reach maybe level 80-85 without much investment?
"
Krazy_X wrote:
Hey, guys. I’m looking at this build as a possible league starter. I want a build to start and switch to aurabot in the late game.

Is this a build that can get me going on a budget to reach maybe level 80-85 without much investment?

Yes, this build can do that.
This build do not do uber dps.
But its alot more safer. You can cast totem from and mines from a distance. It's considered to be one of the safest range build I have ever play.
You just need minimum 4 slots gears to get to yellow maps. Red maps and bosses are tougher tho. Need better gears tho.
Anyway, thanks for the build guide.
Hi - thanks for putting this build together! I started playing it last week, and I am having a blast (quite literally so, as I'm using the version with mines ;) ). I actually started it just to finally get a Scion past Dominus for the achievement, and to perhaps go into the labyrinth and fool around with the ascendancy. But it was so much fun that I just kept playing, I'm lvl 82 now and starting to go into red maps.

There are many things about this build that I like a lot:

- Definitely SSF viable, not dependent on gear that I might never get

- Much easier to keep alive than my last two characters (an ED/Contagion Trickster in Legion league, and an SRS Necromancer during Bestiary). While it's hard to compare builds over a span of 5 years due to lots of changes to mechanics, those two characters kind of ran into brick walls around the (former) center of the Atlas. This Ascendant may become my first character to ever beat the Shaper.

- Ability to tackle (so far) content from all previous leagues, as well as all map mods. (That said, I haven't found a good way yet to "tag" huge amounts of mobs in a Legion encounter, any suggestions?)

- Favors tactical gameplay over quick reflexes. I'm not a great player - my reflexes certainly aren't as good as they were 40 years ago, and I was never good at processing lots of things on the screen simultaneously. In most games, I therefore gravitate to a ranged combat style that focuses on keeping control of the battlefield. I always found this hard to pull off in PoE, but here it seems to work. I can often use the auto-taunting totems to give me just the split-second that I need to assess the situation and adapt my tactics, and if I do get hit, I'm at least not automatically dead. ;)

So, thanks again for creating a build that made my recent return to PoE a very satisfying one!

Quick question though - do you think that the upcoming 3.19 changes will affect this build a lot? And if so, what would be good alternative nodes to go for? From a cursory glance at the development manifesto, it seems that:

1. We'll lose some mana reservation efficiency, so maintaining all 5 auras will be harder.
2. Defiance Banner's protection is basically cut in half (though it will protect better against crits)
3. Sniper's Mark loses its flask charge generation effect. Not sure if it's actually still worth the investment in Dex passives after that?

What are your ideas on how to adjust the build? Or is it too early to ask that question?
Last edited by Psyringe on Aug 11, 2022, 8:48:40 PM
Hi, I love this skill so I very might do this build or a variation next league.

I have some questions:

- What do you think about the reworked Infernal Mantle ?

"
+3 to Level of Socketed Fire Gems
100% increased Global Critical Strike Chance
(120-160)% increased Energy Shield
15% of Fire Damage Converted to Chaos Damage
100% increased Spell Damage taken when on Low Mana

I think it can be quite nice, if we don't take Avatar of fire, and instead take the fire mastery to convert 40% of our physical damage to fire + some conversion on our gloves optionally.

- I thought also about the reworked Nycta's Lantern
Before the rework, I used it to get to early yellow maps I think, by socketing HFT inside.
Now if I understand correctly, the damage added by Nycta's lantern is similar, but completely independant of where you put your skill.
So maybe we can have 2 Nycta's Lanterns and socket our HFT in our body armour ?
Of course a good shield with +1 totem may be more desirable in the end.
"
Psyringe wrote:
Hi - thanks for putting this build together! I started playing it last week, and I am having a blast (quite literally so, as I'm using the version with mines ;) ). I actually started it just to finally get a Scion past Dominus for the achievement, and to perhaps go into the labyrinth and fool around with the ascendancy. But it was so much fun that I just kept playing, I'm lvl 82 now and starting to go into red maps.

Thanks for the big feedback, much appreciated!

"
Psyringe wrote:

Quick question though - do you think that the upcoming 3.19 changes will affect this build a lot? And if so, what would be good alternative nodes to go for? From a cursory glance at the development manifesto, it seems that:

1. We'll lose some mana reservation efficiency, so maintaining all 5 auras will be harder.
2. Defiance Banner's protection is basically cut in half (though it will protect better against crits)
3. Sniper's Mark loses its flask charge generation effect. Not sure if it's actually still worth the investment in Dex passives after that?

What are your ideas on how to adjust the build? Or is it too early to ask that question?

1 and 2) Cutting defiance banner to make up for the reservation efficiency we lost will certainly be one thing. I'll wait for POB to come out with the uptades to think about what else will be needed, but yes, this is a nerf, but on the other hand, we already have some skills that gives %armor and the bulk of our armor comes from wearing an armor based Body armor and Shield along with Determination.
This probably won't be enough, but I still didn't tinker with what will be possible.

3) Sniper's mark is still BIS for damage. During leveling or early maps, flammability is good enough, but the extra dmg for bosses later on is better. I believe we can keep it.

Some other stuff I have in mind is using spell suppression near Scion to have suppression, and get magebane and these life nodes near it as well.

On uniques, @Popochka, I think Infernal mantle can be good, still didn't check all the changes, but I usually don't go very far on tweaking the build for SC endgame, I've been trying to improve the SC POB a bit every league, but it's far from minmax'd or ubers viable. Now, maybe I'm wrong in this, but Nycta's Lantern damage modifiers are local and will only affect the weapon, so I don't think this is usable for us.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info