Is path of exile good for beginners?

Hi! i'm trying to get into gaming as of late, to expand social connections and to try and have more fun, and path of exile came up as a first suggestion in google when searching "MMORPG's", so i downloaded it.

Is it good? My school year's about to end in a few weeks or so, so i have some time to dedicate learning a new game :)) I just want to be able to have similar interests with new gaming-inclined people i meet irl, and meet interesting people on the internet as well.

thank you! •w•
Last bumped on May 1, 2021, 6:55:13 PM
You can achieve almost anything if you follow a guide.

~ OR ~

You don't follow any guides. Discover at your own pace. As long as you don't set high expectations, it's fine.
You do realize that everyone's a beginner when they start a game, right?
The game is great. It has a deep learning curve which makes the guides out there worth reading.
"
adamadam10 wrote:
Hi! i'm trying to get into gaming as of late, to expand social connections and to try and have more fun, and path of exile came up as a first suggestion in google when searching "MMORPG's", so i downloaded it.

Is it good? My school year's about to end in a few weeks or so, so i have some time to dedicate learning a new game :)) I just want to be able to have similar interests with new gaming-inclined people i meet irl, and meet interesting people on the internet as well.

thank you! •w•

Well, Path of Exile isn't really an MMORPG, it has some MMO elements to it, but really, it's an ARPG.

Similar games include: Diablo, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest ... and various other to a somewhat lesser degree (Diablo 3, Torchlight 3, the Borderlands Series, Destiny 2, Wolcen, Last Epoch).

The beginning part of PoE is meant to be easy enough to get into, but the game does continually ramp up the difficulty, and does have a fairly complex building system.

Following a guide can be helpful if you don't like to plan things out yourself.

Personally, I tend to suggest Enki's Arc Witch to beginners: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951

You can also just do it yourself, but do be prepared to make mistakes.

I think it's a fun game, but I like the games I listed as being similar.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
The social aspects of PoE are pretty weak. You can socialize. But the game doesn't revolve around it. There are lots of more social games available if that's what you're looking for.
Its good.
But its not friendly at all.

If you feel like you lacking another one PhD in yr life - definitely try to understand poe..
"
Fapmobile wrote:
You do realize that everyone's a beginner when they start a game, right?
The game is great. It has a deep learning curve which makes the guides out there worth reading.

It is not even a steep learning curve anymore, its builds based on some esoteric item combination that somehow makes your build do 50x the damage it otherwise would. You got people making builds doing a respectable 15-30k dps entering maps, and then you got some build using three uniques that in combination does 350MILLION dps entering maps. It is broken ass game design. It’s not fun. It’s not clever. And it gets worse every patch.
It's an amazing game, but not beginner friendly at all. It's pretty challenging without a guide and even following a guide can be confusing unless it's written in a beginner friendly manner where everything is explained step by step.

For example, I've played for 2 years, and when following another guide this League I still had to look up what some abbreviations meant.

If you are just getting into gaming and want to get into ARPG Diablo 3 or Torchlight are much easier and lighthearted places to start.
"
adamadam10 wrote:

thank you! •w•

Going by your criterion, I'd recommend you try the MMORPG Guild Wars 2. Genuinely nice community (outside of high end events/raids, because the stakes there are somewhat higher and by then folks are expected to know their job), very good for pick up and play, encourages group play without forcing partying up, unique levelling system that involves completing tasks around the game world that are almost never anything as dull as 'kill 10 rabbits', free to play core game (which is truly massive in itself) before committing to a more fleshed-out version with expansions/more storage/etc, and basically it's a great MMO for people who don't like MMOs. Frankly you'll have more 'social connections' in an hour on that game than you'd get in weeks on PoE, unless you really go out of your way to chat in Global and honestly no one needs their faith in humanity tested that way.

But if you want a hardcore, does-your-head-in ARPG tailor-made for galaxy-brain Diablo 2 veterans, with a completely awful trading system that the devs all but expect you to use and a storage system that is basically your paid entry into anything more than *extremely* casual play, you've found the right place.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on May 1, 2021, 8:20:58 AM
Hi Friend and welcome. I strongly recommend following a guide to give learning other mechanics such as monsters, leagues and other systems a chance. because if your build is weak you won't get to far to learn. Then with this "learn by doing method" you'll learn about gems, uniques, and builds along the way. There are so many things..833 uniques, 760 helm echantments, over 1000 stats on jewels...so no way you can put together a successful build w/o serious time invested.

For builds see what is popular go to poe ninja where they rank what people are playing and people mirgate to meta or successful builds...

for every mechanic of game two sites
poedb or fandome poe wiki are the digital enclyopedia to the game

To keeo up on latest events like how to make money, best places to farm and such there are streamer with youtube channels such as
Grimro
Pathofmathh
and such

GL HF
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 1, 2021, 1:33:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info