Petrified Blood

"
devon752 wrote:
"
Noble_Seiken wrote:
Does Petrified Blood's mitigation only affect hits that come WHILE on low life? or
can I be hit with a large hit at full life, enough to 1-shot me, and the mitigation not come into effect because I wasn't on low life when it happened?

Does that make sense?

I know what you're asking. Let's say you have 1000 life. You have Petrified blood. You get hit by a hit that will deal you 1000 damage and usually kill you. What happens now is that you take 600 damage instantly and 400 delayed over 4s which is really managable, so you survive instead. It's a good skill if you are using your whole life pool.

From reading the gem, I was under the assumption that in those conditions (1000 life [full life] taking a 1000 hit), from a 20/20 petrified blood,
it would see that 500 damage would be taken normally to reach half life, and instantaneously 60% of the remaining 500 is also taken (so you take 800 damage instantly), and the remaining 200 damage is multiplied by 0.76 = 152 damage is taken over 4 seconds.

If this is how it works, it is still a decent amount of raw instantaneous mitigation, getting 1shot is one of the worst case scenarios and this still pretty effectively increases your life pool (you'd still survive a 1200 damage hit for example, though without regen or reaction you might die pretty fast to the dot that follows)
Last edited by biyte on May 8, 2021, 2:52:42 PM
"
biyte wrote:
From reading the gem, I was under the assumption that in those conditions (1000 life [full life] taking a 1000 hit), from a 20/20 petrified blood,
it would see that 500 damage would be taken normally to reach half life, and instantaneously 60% of the remaining 500 is also taken (so you take 800 damage instantly), and the remaining 200 damage is multiplied by 0.76 = 152 damage is taken over 4 seconds.

If this is how it works, it is still a decent amount of raw instantaneous mitigation, getting 1shot is one of the worst case scenarios and this still pretty effectively increases your life pool (you'd still survive a 1200 damage hit for example, though without regen or reaction you might die pretty fast to the dot that follows)

Ah yeah you're right, you're right my mistake. Still it's great for full life builds.
"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile." -unknown
"The Emperor beckons and the world attends." -Izaro
"Shine boldly so that all may find you when the night falls." -Izaro
Last edited by devon752 on May 8, 2021, 4:44:00 PM
Current Build: lvl 90 Berserker - Cyclone (pure physical - stacking impales & crit) with pretty decent life leech (however very poor regeneration).

Still in the process of gearing up so my health is a bit low @ 5k

I'm using petrified blood in conjunction with Bloodthirst support as on initial inspection - they seem to synergize.

Leveling / progressing these gems were terrific - having a straightforward / fast playthru with minimal deaths.

The most difficult was actually ascending - the labyrinth traps would instantly kill me. So I had to constantly turn off and enable PBlood to complete the labyrinth.

Like everyone else - bleeds / corrupted blood / poison / degenerating ground effects would kill me too quickly to respond to. This made many maps very frustrating.

I feel for actual low-life builds the 40% should be all damage (not just hits). Perhaps when in low life mode - damage over time is reduced by 40% when there is no energy shield.

On the other hand, it might be more in spirit of the intent - when in low life, damage over time applied to life is applied 60% more slowly. So there is no damage mitigation - but instead DoT is applied slower overall due to PBlood (giving us enough time to react).

--------------------
I've lvled a bit and reordered my gear - pushing 5.8k life now with positive Chaos resist and immune to Corrupted Blood - but this build is still by far the most squishy in maps. I feel as though my character is a blood filled balloon. Ran T14 Plaza Map and the Goddess just annihilated me with her degen beam. Then I attempted Drox's citadel (Awakening 6) and a single hit from his default attack would knock me down to within 5% health - despite this skill, fortify and 6 endurance charges in effect. On top of that - there was no display of staggered damage - it almost seemed as if his hits were bypassing the damage mitigation altogether.

The only way I can see making this viable would be to support your typical LL-Energy Shield builds ... which seems to me, opposite of the intent of this skill.
Last edited by ManinBlaq on Jun 25, 2021, 5:37:55 PM
Hello. I wanted to test this out before the league ended - so I did.

Build is an Earthshatter slam Berserker, further utilizing the following:
* Aspect of Carnage, War Bringer, Defy Pain & Crave the Slaughter
* 3 War cries with Escalation, Admonisher & Measured Fury
* Fortify & fortify effect from Lethal Pride & Crusader helmet
* Berserk
* Blood Magic/Mortal Conviction (mainly for access to 20% max life - but the synergy is ok with free reservation of Pride+Arrogance/Empower)
* Petrified Blood (PB) along with Pride/Dread Banner (I also used Blood and Sand after investing into Enlighten & some RMR)

With enough RMR (reduced reservation) I was able to reserve Pride/Blood and Sand/Dread Banner without dropping below 50% life reservation. This was to ensure my life leech effects would not expire when reaching max life. (This was also one of my experiments - getting overleech without Immortal Ambition / being a Slayer so as to enable wearing a good belt & keep using Lethal Pride instead of Glorious Vanity.)

Since my skills cost life I would also not require to invest in reduced cost of skills/elreon crafted mods. This would enable some more useful affixes on jewellery.

I quickly realized as others have pointed out in this thread that, DoTs are extremely deadly for this setup. They are basically 100% more effective at all times because our life pool for DoTs is halved. Labyrinth traps were my first reality check while setting up the build on an old leveled character I have in standard. I had to deactivate Petrified Blood because the traps were killing me so quickly.

The fact that the life globe is barely visible also enhances the difficulty of knowing when you're taking damage. Despite being 50% of life the actual life globe visually appears as though its roughly 40% full. Normally I can see how much current life I have via my peripheral vision - but no longer if I play like this. I need to pay an extra eye to my life globe to see how much damage I'm currently taking.

Another drawback is the reduced light radius - mostly annoying for areas that are already dark. Not sure if this is fair considering the other drawbacks.

Finally after comparing some numbers in PoB I did not find the setup to be stronger than a regular setup reserving mana & not using PB. Perhaps it has a potential higher ceiling with a really good belt and alternate quality PB - but you are still very weak to DoT.

I may revisit this in the future, because it is a really cool interaction - and getting overleech on the fly is also nice. I did not try it without Blood Magic and using life flasks to temporarily get out of low life.

Positives(+) and negatives(-):
+ Alternative way to get overleech
+ Generally tankier to big hits
- DoTs are very lethal
- Bad visibility of current life status
- Light radius

Suggestion:
* Make it so that PB also reduces the damage taken from all sources of actual DoTs - or makes them apply 50% as slowly as someone else did suggest in this thread. This probably also needs to only conditionally apply while being on low life.
* Improve visibility of life status in GUI while using PB / while being on low life.
* Reduce the light radius penalty while using PB (sounds fair to adjust it in relation to 50% of max life - and dropping from there)
any chance to made some defensive layer against ailment's?
Please fix the light radius for petrified blood, make it scale up to 50% of your life, or add a tool to fix that.
please add interaction with lethe shade

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info