Game crashes at login screen - Kernelbase.dll related

This has just started happening to me as well which is wierd as I was playing fine a few hours ago...
I have tried about 25 things. I have installed the game on my SSD, Steam, and my regular hard drive.

I have verified all the files.

I have updated all drivers.

I have deleted things suggested to delete.

The game is unplayable. I hit login screen, try to load into the game and it crashes.

1 out of 20 crashes or so I get an error message (not always the same Art error):

"Art/Models/MONSTERS/VaalMonsters/SkitteringConstruct/SkitteringConstruct_armour_5ee303a1.smd": Expected version 1 but found 92

The game was unplayable Friday because of whatever reasons GGG had. I am glad 98% of the people can play the game.

There is a much smaller % that still CANNOT.

Same issue. Went to bed last night, game was fine, woke up wanted to play... Nope, crash to desktop every damn time.

Tried a dozen different things from different forum threads, none of them worked. I am seriously pissed off. No replies from GGG staff in any of these threads.

Glad I spent hundreds of dollars on supporter packs...
Same here but not at login screen.

Had the game in act 5 town minimized while i was doing something else on my PC, alt tabbed back to the game and the game client was just a black screen -> waited a few seconds until the game client crashed.

W10
nvidia GTX 1070 running the 465.89 drivers
Using Vulkan render and windowed mode.
Ryzen 5 1600
Ram: 16gb 3200MHz

Here is the windows report

Spoiler
Description
Faulting Application Path: F:\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PathOfExile_x64.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 60799b45
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.906
Fault Module Timestamp: 2f2f77bf
Exception Code: e0000001
Exception Offset: 0000000000034b59
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ad08
Additional Information 2: ad08301fc72a1a6ebf0ebc7365ac241d
Additional Information 3: 26b7
Additional Information 4: 26b77f998cca51b305d7a19e3e2d423a

Finally found a fix for the startup crash after 3.14b released.

Go into %appdata% path of exile folder and delete ShopImages and MOTDCache folders and it should work, atleast it did for me.
Thanks korvfett this ended up fixing it for me. After deleing both appdata folders, I got an error on the login screen stating that an image in MOTDCache could not be decoded. I checked the image specified in the error and it looked like it was corrupted by something. Deleting that image seems to have cleared the crashes.
So another update from me.
After trying everything that i mentioned in this thread and tested everything that you guys mentioned nothing worked for me.

So i reinstalled Windows 10 completly and now it is working.
I hope the crashes won't happen again in the future...
Reinstalling the whole OS should never be the solution.

Привет всем! Мне помогло смена языка на другой, русский на английский. Может кому-то да поможет! Но это не есть решение проблемы с игрой, так как я русскоговорящий игрок, мне не удобно играть на английской версии. Но выхода пока нет - приходится играть как играется.
Update: Nothing works to fix and I have tried everything.

Patch didn’t do anything.
For me, the this is even weirder.
I get thoses Kernelbase crashes every 15 minutes (feels like).
Sometimes when my rampage cause explosions or when I just stand in town.

Now I have a clean install of Windows 10 and still get thoses crashes.
I'm out of ideas why this is happening.

The only thing i can provide u is that in my Event Viewer i can see that at first PathOfExileSteam.exe crashes with the module KERNELBASE.dll and at the same time RuntimeBroker.exe crashes with the module ntdll.dll - on a fresh system! When im watching twitch on my second monitor I can see that the stream crashes too - Error 3000.

EDIT: Legacy and Steam client - same problem
Last edited by Saikami on Jan 14, 2023, 5:39:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info