Build idea: Reap Mines

Or traps or totems, plus a self-cast Reap with Less Duration and Swift Affliction.

Reap grants a blood charge (more damage) if it hits without killing anything, but loses a charge when an enemy dies while affected by its 1 second DoT. Skills used by proxies benefit from your charges. However, just like skills used by proxies can't grant you charges, neither can they lose your charges. So you use the self-cast Reap to build up charges, and your mines keep the damage bonus even if they kill things. Obviously we can't know exactly how the skill works before it's officially released, but does anyone see any flaws in my logic?
Last bumped on Apr 13, 2021, 5:50:49 PM
Reap is melee, or not?
"Glattes Eis, ein Paradeis, für den, der gut zu tanzen weiß" - F. Nietzsche
"
Clownkrieger wrote:
Reap is melee, or not?
nah, reap is a
phys spell, might be mine-able, but we don't know how it functions, some spell can only be selfcast/only cast on the player. I hope this can be mined tho.
"
"
Clownkrieger wrote:
Reap is melee, or not?
nah, reap is a
phys spell, might be mine-able, but we don't know how it functions, some spell can only be selfcast/only cast on the player. I hope this can be mined tho.
Typically skills that can't be used by totems, traps, or mines say so in the description, unless they're inherently incompatible due to e.g. being channeling or reservation skills. Reap doesn't seem to fit those categories. Of course, the skill could always change before release.
all depends on the numbers
its hard to say with these new skills what would be their best focus, the hit or the DoT. if the DoT obviously mines will suck because it won't stack, but given they state that the hit is hard and its 180% damage effect and 6% crit, seems like a seriously good candidate for some hard hitting action

and that aoe. jeeeesus.

except it uses life. this is the one thing which could screw around with mines.
i imagine it will just reserve your life instead of mana? or maybe it just negates it from working at all and thus won't be able to be used with mines

traps and totems though seem like they're fully on the table here.

personally im more interested in the DoT aspect of the new skills as i prefer DoT skills/gameplay. im hoping they are quite potent, considering it will be extremely difficult to scale their DoT with the short duration and lack of passives etc. guess we'll see.
if my exsanguinate + corrupting fever thing kind of falls through, then i'll probably be doing reap totems.
"
xMustard wrote:
all depends on the numbers
its hard to say with these new skills what would be their best focus, the hit or the DoT. if the DoT obviously mines will suck because it won't stack, but given they state that the hit is hard and its 180% damage effect and 6% crit, seems like a seriously good candidate for some hard hitting action

and that aoe. jeeeesus.

except it uses life. this is the one thing which could screw around with mines.
i imagine it will just reserve your life instead of mana? or maybe it just negates it from working at all and thus won't be able to be used with mines

traps and totems though seem like they're fully on the table here.

personally im more interested in the DoT aspect of the new skills as i prefer DoT skills/gameplay. im hoping they are quite potent, considering it will be extremely difficult to scale their DoT with the short duration and lack of passives etc. guess we'll see.
if my exsanguinate + corrupting fever thing kind of falls through, then i'll probably be doing reap totems.
The skill has a 0.8s cast time and 180% damage effectiveness, so it's a slow, hard-hitting skill, which I think will make it a better candidate for mines than totems. I'm planning on converting the damage to lightning and using Arcane Cloak on top of it, to take advantage of the huge damage effectiveness. Maybe also that new shield that adds fire damage for mana builds.

The character in the demo almost certainly has AoE mods; that area would be ridiculous as a base value.
Last edited by ekaye on Apr 10, 2021, 12:11:50 AM
assuming that you can use it with mines, right. sounds good

ya didn't notice the large cast time.

its been a hot minute since i've played mines - is sabo like a requirement or can you play mines with any other ascendancy?
Very interesting, but I don't quite get it. >_<

How do you keep the blood charges?
Once you self-cast reap, assuming the self-cast didn't kill any monster, the said monster(s) will get the DOT debuff for 1 sec.

The gem says "lose a blood charge when an enemy dies while affected by this skill's debuff". It doesn't say "when you kill" or "on kill".

So, when the reap mines kills the enemy that has the debuff, you still lose the blood charges, no?

Same goes for the blood charges generation - perhaps we don't even need to self-cast? Because it doesn't say "on hit" or "when you hit"

If my assumption above is correct, it still works for bosses I guess.

Youtube link of the reap gem: https://youtu.be/aGHGIGAr7gw?t=2662
"
suxerz wrote:

Once you self-cast reap, assuming the self-cast didn't kill any monster, the said monster(s) will get the DOT debuff for 1 sec.

The gem says "lose a blood charge when an enemy dies while affected by this skill's debuff". It doesn't say "when you kill" or "on kill".

So, when the reap mines kills the enemy that has the debuff, you still lose the blood charges, no?

Same goes for the blood charges generation - perhaps we don't even need to self-cast? Because it doesn't say "on hit" or "when you hit"

My understanding is that although skills used by proxies benefit from your modifiers, including bonuses from charges, they can't actually gain you charges. So for example, Frenzy used by a Mirage Archer doesn't grant you frenzy charges on hit, and a mine skill supported by Power Charge on Crit gets the damage bonus but doesn't actually give you a power charge -- the charge would go to the mine, which can't have charges even if it still exists. By that logic, it's the mine that would lose a blood charge, not you.

If you're referring to losing the charge due to the self-cast Reap, that's going to last less than half a second, so it should hopefully be over before the mines kill anything. And even if not, I should only really need the Blood Charge bonus on bosses.

It's possible the build won't work the way I imagine, if Reap actually counts the number of charges the user has rather than gaining bonuses from them, or if the devs figured out this loophole and mines do lose you blood charges. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
"
ekaye wrote:
Spoiler
"
suxerz wrote:

My understanding is that although skills used by proxies benefit from your modifiers, including bonuses from charges, they can't actually gain you charges. So for example, Frenzy used by a Mirage Archer doesn't grant you frenzy charges on hit, and a mine skill supported by Power Charge on Crit gets the damage bonus but doesn't actually give you a power charge -- the charge would go to the mine, which can't have charges even if it still exists. By that logic, it's the mine that would lose a blood charge, not you.

If you're referring to losing the charge due to the self-cast Reap, that's going to last less than half a second, so it should hopefully be over before the mines kill anything. And even if not, I should only really need the Blood Charge bonus on bosses.

It's possible the build won't work the way I imagine, if Reap actually counts the number of charges the user has rather than gaining bonuses from them, or if the devs figured out this loophole and mines do lose you blood charges. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Ahh.. ok that make sense.

Although it's not the same, but I see reap kinda similar to the effect of cold snap - the character can gain frenzy charges even though the mines are killing the enemies in the chill area.

I might be wrong anyway - this is just my assumption. >_<
So yeah, let's wait and see.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info