Shockwave Totem

It's a spell that doesn't deal spell damage, like detonate dead and bear trap. Mechanically it's a spell (due to not using a weapon) but thematically it's not.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
totems have half your hp
This is not true. Each totem has it's own stats, based on the gem which created it and that gem's level.
when did this change? we have been going under the impression of what i said based on
1) thier stats are based off of ours
2) a patch halved hp of totems

i posted some other information collected from players on some other post i can't find fast atm, but what are the factors of totems. it's extremely exciting for me to just learn that shockwave is untyped damage, similar to minion explosions "fire" damage (except fire is listed there for res reasons right?). sorry if i'm bridging multiple topics.
Totems don't technically have your stats, and never have. They have always had their own life/armour/etc.

What totems do is they use your skills, which are based on your own stats. Whenever a totem casts a spell, it's casting exactly as you would if you cast that spell at that point, including all your stats which would affect the spell. This is because it's actually your spell, just being cast "through" the totem. They are effectively using your stats for the purposes of casting, because the skills they cast are yours, and thus are based on your stats.

The totem has it's own stats, and since taking damage is not actively using your skills, they are used for this. A totem has life, armour, evasion, etc calculated based on the type of totem gem and the level of said gem, just like minions do.
But also when using a physical spell(like ethereal knives) the damage is affected by spell damage, isnt it?
Then?How to improve the damage of shockwave?
Hatred and casting speed alone?
:\
thank you very much for the correction. they are fully thier own thing except when they are linked to skills. in case of shockwave totem, player is creating a full ally of its own mods with some boosts from player's mods relevant to totems or skill.

"
kadrek91 wrote:
But also when using a physical spell(like ethereal knives) the damage is affected by spell damage, isnt it?
well the skill is physical damage, you can increase it with a belt and from uniques equipment that has similar mods. or stuff that depends on physical dmaage (hatred and added fire).
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
thank you very much for the correction. they are fully thier own thing except when they are linked to skills. in case of shockwave totem, player is creating a full ally of its own mods with some boosts from player's mods relevant to totems or skill.

"
kadrek91 wrote:
well the skill is physical damage, you can increase it with a belt and from uniques equipment that has similar mods. or stuff that depends on physical dmaage (hatred and added fire).

Oh well Being a marauder it shouldnt be difficult, but what about the casting speed of the waves?How can I improve them?
get the passive node to have two totems out at a time and place 2 of this skill totem next to each other. that fixed shockwaves' speed issue if you don't have access to cast speed (or if cast speed doesn't do anything). iron will doesn't work for damage boost as just mentioned last page.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Whenever a totem casts a spell, it's casting exactly as you would if you cast that spell at that point, including all your stats which would affect the spell.

So, just to make sure I understand things correctly, is this spell affected at all by things like the Knockback Distance cluster of passives over by the marauder side of the tree, increased area of effect/area damage passives, or even flat spell damage passives? Does Iron Will simply not work with it because Iron Will is supporting the spell that creates the totem, which deals no damage, while the totem casts its own spell?
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
Last edited by Milchut on Aug 19, 2012, 4:09:46 PM
edit: removed due to my next post.
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Aug 22, 2012, 4:38:29 PM
"
Milchut wrote:
So, just to make sure I understand things correctly, is this spell affected at all by things like the Knockback Distance cluster of passives over by the marauder side of the tree, increased area of effect/area damage passives, or even flat spell damage passives?
Yes
"
Milchut wrote:
Does Iron Will simply not work with it because Iron Will is supporting the spell that creates the totem, which deals no damage, while the totem casts its own spell?
No. As I explained on the previous page, Iron will doesn't apply because the shockwave, while cast as a spell so the totem can use it, does not deal spell damage, and does not benefit from any spell-specific stat increases.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info