Whirling Blades

its 40% not 60% damage reduction as it is 60& of the base damage ^^.

imo this attack doesnt hit everything in its path. ive crossed several enemies and not everyone got damaged (accuracy already factored in).
and what would be the purpose of IAS on this gem if it would hit everything on its way regardless?

i really cant see how this gem works from a game mechanic point of view - especially considering dual wield. :(

And i agree - as already has been stated - the end of the animation is too long and should scale with IAS (or somehow) at least.
Last edited by halfdead2 on May 10, 2012, 4:18:47 PM
"
halfdead2 wrote:
its 40% not 60% damage reduction as it is 60& of the base damage ^^.

imo this attack doesnt hit everything in its path. ive crossed several enemies and not everyone got damaged (accuracy already factored in).
and what would be the purpose of IAS on this gem if it would hit everything on its way regardless?

i really cant see how this gem works from a game mechanic point of view - especially considering dual wield. :(

And i agree - as already has been stated - the end of the animation is too long and should scale with IAS (or somehow) at least.

Tbh the hitting things is likely to be a latency issue, I've had a couple of occasions where I've done a pass directly through a mob and not hit anything but it was perfectly aimed.

Not sure about the benefit of increased IAS with this. Guess we'll need to wait for someone from GGG to confirm if it performs a single attack per mob on each pass or if its possible to hit a mob multiple times.
I'm planning a claw build for the weekend and I (like many others) want clarification on the effect of IAS on this skill. Please let the players know!

Edit: Thank you for the quick response Mark
Last edited by Frobertus on May 10, 2012, 11:13:06 PM
You hit each monster you pass through as you move. You can't hit the same monster more than once with the same skill use.

When dual wielding, hits are dealt with either the main or off hand weapon, chosen at random.

Attack speed increases the speed of the entire animation (and your movement), including the 'recovery' part at the end.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on May 10, 2012, 10:52:55 PM
I'm loving this so far, with a few caveats.

If I spam too many dashes, I begin to get desync issues (I have roughly 20 latency, and occasionally the game will seem to "catch up" to my damage, applying it some time after the pass through has happened).

If you hit an obstruction, the recovery animation doesn't play and you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WiZvqG44bM&feature=youtu.be

Note also how it occasionally pops you through some geometry.

Damage seems pretty low, and I use it much less than I was as I get higher level. Even with a 0.42 execution speed it still feels slow.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
You hit each monster you pass through as you move. You can't hit the same monster more than once with the same skill use.

When dual wielding, hits are dealt with either the main or off hand weapon, chosen at random.

Attack speed increases the speed of the entire animation (and your movement), including the 'recovery' part at the end.

thank you very much! :D

I guess accuracy still is a factor in this, same with latency. it seems to have the same problems as flicker strike spam for me when the client and the server have a little desync.

what i dislike is that as dual wielder your damaging weapon is chosen at random. if you have one really good and one bad weapon you are gimping yourself.

so this skill is actually a better choice for some shield wielding character (which isnt bad by any means ^^).
Thx for clarification. Now i just need to know how i am to understand "60% of base damage"
Im pretty sure i grasp how "X % less damage" and "X % reduced damage" is working. But how about this base damage??? how is that calculated. And how does it work if i have for example:
"+x added fire damage" and how does it work if i have "+xx% added as cold damage"

On a side note. i think it is a real shame that almost all the melee skills "excluded; cleave/dualstrike" is gimped with dualwielding weapons. I mean what reason is there to choosing dualwield over a shield... unless you happen to have 2 identical weapons (unlikely) u will always be better off only using the higher dps weapon - In many cases u would be better off just using the 1 weapon because ur offhand doesnt do enough damage to compete with the silly 10% ias... (now i KNOW i am not taking passive skills and "inherent weapon bonuses" into consideration when makin this statement. But i just feel that the benefits of just puttin on the shield is just as great and that there is enough "one handed weapon passives" to go around to not make it affect my descision. In my opinion Dual wield builds are a little bit worse when using ALL melee skills except maybe "cleave/dualstrike"
This is a big big shame...
I dislike having to use either a shield or "cleave/dualstrike" and i see no reason why "whirling blades" or any/most of the other melee skills can't have a "cleave"-like mechanic... atleast then there would be a bit of a point to using 2 weapons insteed of 1!
Seems many skills are now shown as a "base damage %" in the tooltip. I think i understand the mechanic now (multiplicaple in the same way as it used to be "more/less%")
However. my statement about dualwielding still stands..
"
auraforlaura wrote:
Thx for clarification. Now i just need to know how i am to understand "60% of base damage"
Im pretty sure i grasp how "X % less damage" and "X % reduced damage" is working. But how about this base damage??? how is that calculated. And how does it work if i have for example:
"+x added fire damage" and how does it work if i have "+xx% added as cold damage"

On a side note. i think it is a real shame that almost all the melee skills "excluded; cleave/dualstrike" is gimped with dualwielding weapons. I mean what reason is there to choosing dualwield over a shield... unless you happen to have 2 identical weapons (unlikely) u will always be better off only using the higher dps weapon - In many cases u would be better off just using the 1 weapon because ur offhand doesnt do enough damage to compete with the silly 10% ias... (now i KNOW i am not taking passive skills and "inherent weapon bonuses" into consideration when makin this statement. But i just feel that the benefits of just puttin on the shield is just as great and that there is enough "one handed weapon passives" to go around to not make it affect my descision. In my opinion Dual wield builds are a little bit worse when using ALL melee skills except maybe "cleave/dualstrike"
This is a big big shame...
I dislike having to use either a shield or "cleave/dualstrike" and i see no reason why "whirling blades" or any/most of the other melee skills can't have a "cleave"-like mechanic... atleast then there would be a bit of a point to using 2 weapons insteed of 1!

"60% of base damage"

Open your C screen. Click on basic attack. See that DPS? Multiply it by 60%. OK that's what you're doing for damage.

Well assuming you're holding one weapon anyway. Good to know this skill works with dual wielding. Now if only I could play the shadow.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
I would actually like the movement decreased if it would help the not hitting issue. Right now its a cool teleport spell that does some damage.

This spell should get a dual wield bonus. You have twice as much stuff that can hit people when you are spinning.

Combining it with something like chance to flee or ignite seems to be an interesting idea.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info