[Trade] 'Whisper' message includes unique name for unidentified uniques.

Description:
The whisper message provided by the official trade site includes the name of unique items even if those items are unidentified. In-game, items do not display their item name while unidentified. Thus, when performing a stash search for the item by item name the unidentified item will not be highlighted.

This behavior is inconsistent with other rarities of unidentified items.

Examples (emphasis mine):
An unidentified unique (https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ritual/eyVeGLrsL):
"
@Yugriser Hi, I would like to buy your The Princess Sabre listed for 10 chaos in Ritual (stash tab "Testing"; position: left 1, top 1)

An unidentified rare Body Armour (https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Ritual/ryqDwX7UQ):
"
@Yugriser Hi, I would like to buy your Loricated Ringmail listed for 10 chaos in Ritual (stash tab "Testing"; position: left 2, top 1)
Last bumped on Nov 1, 2021, 12:26:35 PM
This is intended.
Web DeveloperView our Developer Docs
"
Novynn wrote:
This is intended.
I figured I should better illustrate this situation for the off chance we're misunderstanding each other. I understand each step might be individually intended but they don't appear to interact well when put together:

either

1. Identify all items going into your sale tabs so the name is searchable, wisdoms are very common and it only takes a fraction of a second

or

2. Search for Coral Ring
3. Beginning counting from Left to Right, then Top to Bottom
"
dorkdude2 wrote:
either

1. Identify all items going into your sale tabs so the name is searchable, wisdoms are very common and it only takes a fraction of a second

or

2. Search for Coral Ring
3. Beginning counting from Left to Right, then Top to Bottom
Hi. I'm aware of these workarounds to this issue. Unfortunately they do not address the underlying problem where the requested item cannot be found by the given name via a stash tab search (indicating that the requested item is *not* in the stash; ie: has been sold already) (or they require modifying the item to use trade).

#1. Identifying uniques sometimes vastly changes (reduces) their value (and when that's not a risk it's usually not worth the time it takes to ID). Not to mention: the trade API/site should handle all item listings consistently. Players shouldn't be required to modify their item to have it properly handled via the trade api/site.
#2&3: Sometimes I don't even get to this point. After a stash search indicates 0 items I would msg the buyer that the item has already been sold (not recently) and suggest that maybe the API is slow today.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2: I would definitely do this if the trade message said something like "Hi, I would like to buy your *Unidentified* Sibyl's Lament Coral Ring ..." to indicate I should ignore the item name and search the base. Otherwise I expect to find the item by the name provided in the message.

Another thing I forgot to mention (and I'm not sure how relevant or abusable this is, though it was slightly useful to me when I got an unidentified Atziri's Reflection from a Vaal Reliquary Key) this allows players to identify what unique they have without actually identifying the item. If someone wants to purchase this item there's no (in-game) way for them to verify if it's the item they want or some other version that shares the same base + art (no real difference from normal trade except the seller knows what they have).
"
Novynn wrote:
This is intended.

if it's intended to confuse the seller, then why can't we get a coordinate input so we could locate the item faster. the trade site should work the same way the game does. unidentified items should be exactly that and display the same as the trade site. the trade whisper has it's location, so we should be able to input that same set of numbers. it's happened to me and i missed the sale because i was looking for an identified item.

so, by your comment, why is it intended? to look like it's a mistake in the coding? or to just make it harder to trade/sell for the seller? i mean it's hard enough for the buyer to even get someone to answer a whisper let alone find out the seller can't find it because they are looking for the item name when it doesn't exist in their stash page.
poe is going down fast. Diablo 4 and Baldur's Gate 3 have no performance issues. play them instead
Personally, I've never had this problem, because if I search for the item and it doesn't show up in my stash, I'll always then try searching just the basetype before assuming it's a slow API.

"
spaceace7373 wrote:
why is it intended?

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's because certain Uniques have extremely high variability in their rolls (Watcher's Eye is the classical example), and as a result the developers want to enable players to be able to search for those and specify that that is the Unique they're looking for without forcing the seller to identify the item. Imagine being unable to sell a box containing 1-6 exalted orbs for 2.5 exalted orbs because you're forced to open the box before you can sell it. Now imagine you can sell that box. The devs likely prefer the latter.

That said, I'm in support of SirGuySW's implied Feedback and Suggestions:
"
SirGuySW wrote:
I would definitely do this if the trade message said something like "Hi, I would like to buy your *Unidentified* Sibyl's Lament Coral Ring ..." to indicate I should ignore the item name and search the base.

Yet another one of SirGuySW's bug reports forced to be reclassified as Feedback and Suggestions.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Jul 13, 2021, 7:48:57 PM
"
adghar wrote:
If I were a betting man, I'd say it's because certain Uniques have extremely high variability in their rolls (Watcher's Eye is the classical example), and as a result the developers want to enable players to be able to search for those and specify that that is the Unique they're looking for without forcing the seller to identify the item. Imagine being unable to sell a box containing 1-6 exalted orbs for 2.5 exalted orbs because you're forced to open the box before you can sell it. Now imagine you can sell that box. The devs likely prefer the latter.

then why drop unidentified items in the game? if you sell it unidentified, then it should be just that if you are buying it, it's a gamble as to what you get. if you are looking for a specific mod on an item, don't buy unidentified.

or, is it that GGG simply don't know why items display like that and just use the "this is intended" statement when the game itself actually knows every single mod on an item as soon as it drops and they can't figure out how to program around it. trade sites just display the item in it's identified state because it's only the game itself that hides the stats. it's almost like a ingame built exploit to identify items.

how many other games do this with unidentified items?
poe is going down fast. Diablo 4 and Baldur's Gate 3 have no performance issues. play them instead
"
adghar wrote:
Wouldn't that leave buyers with no way to verify the item they're buying? My Unidentified Atziri's Reflection example is a good ... well, example of this. Someone could msg to buy that from me for 1ex and I trade them a 1c Atziri's Mirror instead...they have no way at all to verify what the item in the trade window is due to it being unidentified. *I* know, and the trade site knows, that it's a Reflection but we can't determine that in-game.

"
adghar wrote:
Yet another one of SirGuySW's bug reports forced to be reclassified as Feedback and Suggestions.
At least this one hasn't been moved yet. lol Though I admit this one being intended hit me quite hard. Had to take an early break from league as trying to figure out *why* it was intended was occupying all of my precious showerthought moments... not healthy.
Last edited by SirGuySW on Jul 13, 2021, 10:12:23 PM
"
SirGuySW wrote:
Wouldn't that leave buyers with no way to verify the item they're buying? My Unidentified Atziri's Reflection example is a good ... well, example of this. Someone could msg to buy that from me for 1ex and I trade them a 1c Atziri's Mirror instead...they have no way at all to verify what the item in the trade window is due to it being unidentified. *I* know, and the trade site knows, that it's a Reflection but we can't determine that in-game.

and they get scammed due to a trade system flaw that was intended LMAO

nice example as to why this needs to be fixed

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info