[3.14] Odif's Old Obsolete Skel Mage Guide, New one is in a new thread

I think imma go arcane guarding route for 12%(24%)spell block chance while holding a shield, which will put me at 75% 74% block chance
any good shield I could buy?
If anyone's on the fence about this build,just go and look at my character.
This build is an absolute breeze,going thru yellow maps and some reds with abyssmal gear,my resists are not even capped only cause im lazy...

Last edited by kewmew on Jan 18, 2021, 1:27:09 PM
Whats the deal with Triad grips? I would have thought that they dont do anything for skeleton mages. Are the mages doing physical damage?
"
eliahmello wrote:
"
exilekami wrote:
spell echo doesn't work because it doesn't support vaal skills T_T
Should i remove vaal skeletons hmm?

One could argue the benefit of having the extra skellies on bosses outweight the damage bonus of spell echo (considering we have enough damage to easily kill packs).

I would think the vaal skellies is worth more than the extra cast. My questions still remain, because i'm unable to properly test this right now:
do we get at least the "more cast speed" portion of the spell echo gem?
and if so, is it more worth than any other pure "more damage" gems? (about this, i could argue the spell echo would only work [if it does] on spellcasts, not benefitting any other vaal skelletons we summon, while any elemental %more damage would help every summon)

Vaal Summon Skel does not benefit from Spell Echo,
So in effect, you get a 6l skeleton, and a 5l vaal skeleton.

Still very good.

And yes, skeleton DOES get the cast speed from spell echo.
"
GERWARIC wrote:
"
Odif wrote:
It will take you past red maps.

Yup. I just waltzed through a T15 corrupted unidentified zana mission. None of the maven fights have been even remotely challenging yet. I've never had a build move so smoothly into red maps before.

The only nasty thing I've run into so far is Sirus map mobs. However, if you check reddit, those mobs are one-shotting tanky max block builds with phys reduction, boosted max resists, fortify effect, and full endurance charges. They feel a little over-tuned :)

I'm using basically the same gear I was using at T7, and aside from a level 21 vaal summon skeletons, most of my gems are only level 17-18 because I've recently flipped them for quality. Otherwise I'm running the basic skeleton mages build. No changes aside from adding a Primordial Harmony for 5 chaos that makes the defensive golem buffs more effective.

Thank you for the feedback.
I added this to the Testimonial section.

P.S.
I think its Primordial Eminence that increased golem buffs.
"
Harmless88 wrote:
Whats the deal with Triad grips? I would have thought that they dont do anything for skeleton mages. Are the mages doing physical damage?

Triad grips do nothing for mages.

They are for the zombies.

The zombies do a LOT of damage.

Also, if one goes melee skeleton, a slower clearing option, then the gloves help.
"
kewmew wrote:
If anyone's on the fence about this build,just go and look at my character.
This build is an absolute breeze,going thru yellow maps and some reds with abyssmal gear,my resists are not even capped only cause im lazy...

Thank you for your feedback.
I added this to the Testimonial section.
Been using this build, up to Act 9 atm and going very well.

Breezed through all content so far, basically afk mode.

However one thing you should probably add as a comment is levelling your dex gems up too high early on can mess up your build.

After getting a new piece of gear, i suddenly lost the requirement for my Pierce and Greater Multiple Projecticles. Since the build doesn't touch on any Dex nodes early on, best to add a warning
Yo.
"
Pruney wrote:
Been using this build, up to Act 9 atm and going very well.

Breezed through all content so far, basically afk mode.

However one thing you should probably add as a comment is levelling your dex gems up too high early on can mess up your build.

After getting a new piece of gear, i suddenly lost the requirement for my Pierce and Greater Multiple Projecticles. Since the build doesn't touch on any Dex nodes early on, best to add a warning

Good idea.
I have a VERY brief "you need dex on some gear", that in hindsight is TOO brief.

I will add a paragraph about dex.

Thanks
Thank you for inspiration and sharing the build. I'm on the maps and I don't know if I've ever melted content like this with my first character. I decided to go the other way, if it's not a problem I will post a link to PoB of what I plan to do. This is basically a reworked version of the build I once played by the owner of the Patch of Build channel on YT and yours.

https://pastebin.com/uDCuHSsu

To proc EE I decided to use cold spell, the magician's cold has by far the least damage so and the loss is the least, the choice is Winter Orb due to the fact that there is Channeling. Thanks to this, cast when channeling fires us all the time Offering and the orb itself puts Chill, thanks to which we can exchange GMP for Hypothermia for bosses.

Femurs of the Saints is the weapon I chose and I will play under 2x6 link, Zombies in Chest and Skeletons in Staf. It gives us 6% regen HP thanks to Zombie, over 30% Block (with Vaal Skeleton running it will be 75% block!) And additional mana regen for 3 Specter, of course +2 to Skeletons and 60-80% increase damage on all of ours minions.

We use 3 Scepters, Carnage and Host Chieftains give us and all minions a Power and Frenzy charge (locate: "The Old Fields" in Act 2 and "The Ashen Fields" in Act 7). As the third is Defiler who cast Elemental Weakness (locate: The "Crypt level 2")

Currently my gear looks like this (Zombie is in the staf because the currency to roll 2 green 4 blue but I already bought a second staff to do it):

Last edited by loczek123 on Jan 18, 2021, 4:18:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info