(3.12) Flame Wall + Fireball Trickster: 5mm+ sDPS from DoTs (1 button clears)

TLDR

Streaming this build: Offline

@ https://www.twitch.tv/mstrk

My current PoB tree
PoB
https://pastebin.com/6Ux7b93p

Introduction

IMPORTANT: DoT builds with lower dps than hit builds play with MUCH higher effective dps. Don't be fooled by only 5mm - 6mm on a DoT.

Pro:
- Fast 1 button clear
- High EVA (60%+ to evade) and 60/60 dodge w/ quartz flask
- Low gear requirements (my gear is scuffed)
- All map mods

Con:
- If you hate DoTs, this is a DoT build
- If you hate EVA/Dodge, that's what I went for. You can go ES/HP hybrid instead.

Played ED/C so many times I wanted to try something else. Flame Wall took a fairly mediocre build (fireball ignite) and made it into something more viable. On base damage alone FW has a higher damage than ED which we already know to be viable (if somewhat lack lustre) for clearing all content.

ED lvl 20 base dmg: 1503.2
FW lvl 20 base dmg: 1825.2 + 456.3 (if standing in wall) = 2281.5

Add in that ED is a 2 button skill with contagion which really does no damage and we can supplement FW with a 1mm dps ignite, it ends up being good damage that easily has me farming A8/UE/UA/Pure Chayula/Aul in less than a week.

I also run EVA + dodge as I found that I'd rather not get hit 2/3 of the time rather than work off a 7800 total ES/HP pool that gets hit by everything. This makes mapping extremely smooth as you just can't die to trash and my theory is that anything big enough to kill me would do so at 5k life or 8k life (shaper slam/die beam etc.). That is to say, git gud!

Passive Tree
Level 95 Tree
https://pastebin.com/6Ux7b93p

There are a lot of ways to build this. You can go 2 jewel sockets, more ES and solve for mana, or more eva/dodge + EB. This is just what I've done but trickster is extremely flexible. Play what is comfortable for you!

Gem and Gear Philosophy

So you can either maximize ignite, maximize FW, or both. I prefer both. For this reason you might see some odd things pop up but having messed around in PoB I'm fairly sure I've got it sorted.

In general the best mod is +fire damage over time modifier. Then things like %fire, %elemental, %damage over time etc will benefit BOTH ignite and FW. Note that things like "ignites deal damage faster" are typically the highest dmg mod you can get EXCEPT it won't work with FW. Similarly, spell damage boosts firewall but NOT fireball ignite.

Damage Gems + Links

Flame Wall

We use a staff so we get access to 2 different 6 links. The main links are:

Anomalous Flame Wall - +10% Fire Damage over Time Multipler (FDoT)

(Awakened) Controlled Destruction - Spell damage benefits the DoT of FW. Dots cannot crit. This is a no brainer.

Efficacy - It's a DoT, duh

(Awakened) Burning Damage - FW does its DoT via the burning tag, easy pick

(Awakened) Elemental Focus - Ok, this is a burn and NOT an ignite. All ignites are burns but not all burns are ignites! Got it?

(Awakened) Swift Affliction - Damage

Note: Empower 4 is actually less damage than even just regular gems. It's also more expensive. Pass.

Fireball

Fireball - More damage with ignite!

(Awakened) Deadly Ailments - Ignite is a burn and an ailment. Ignite does not benefit from spell damage.

Ignite Proliferation - This allows us to clear and provides damage

(Awakened) Burning Damage - Fireball is a vehicle for ignite. Ignite is a burn.

Anomalous Combustion - Everything you want in a gem.

(Awakened) GMP/Swift Affliction - GMP for clear, swift affliction for single target super bosses.

Gear

Spoiler

The Searing Touch - Easy and cheap, don't overthink it. It's heist so you could go for the "fire modifiers are 8% more effective" enchant. I don't have it.

Helm - Ideally you get a rare with -9% to nearby enemy fire res. I don't have one, don't need it either. Go cheap, get a 2c helm with 200+ ES, 70+ life.

Chest - Tabula w/ +2 duration or AoE gems or a Skin of the Loyal. Mine is a double corrupted Skin of the Loyal.

Gloves - Hunter influenced with FDoT or just random rare gloves.

Boots - I like Atziri's Step but you can go for rares w/ the "ignites damage more quickly" mod. You can also just go for random rares.

Amulet - This is the one expensive piece of gear I strongly recommend. This is a +1 fire skills, +1 int gem ammy. Just alt spam the two mods and use an awakener orb. Make sure that each alt spammed ammy only has a single influenced mod to ensure that only the +1 mods get picked.

Rings - Resists + life. Fire damage is nice, but not necessary. Malachai's with a lightning golem is a thing too. That was too annoying for me, so I just went with rares.

Belt - Ideally a big life/resist roll stygian w/ hunter +% life and fire damage from Warlord. Total overkill, I have a rare belt with life and res that is not a stygian.

Cluster Jewels + Regular Jewels

Large (8 passives) - Burning Bright + anything NOT cremator
Medium x2 (<=5 passives) - Burning Bright + Cooked Alive (it stacks)
Small - I don't run smalls, just get some generic +%life and %FDoT

Poacher's Aim - Yup, exactly 1 pierce really helps w/ clear.
Watcher's Eye - Damaging Ailments you inflict deal damage 15% faster while affected by Malevolence. Not required.

Flasks

Stibnite - Evasion + smoke cloud

Quicksilver - Go faster

Jade - Evasion

Cinderswallow - Damage (veiled mod doesn't matter)

Bandits - 2 passives

Last edited by Calexisana on Oct 9, 2020, 9:01:17 PM
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2021, 2:02:12 PM
Reserved
Looks interesting, any chance of a video?
"
moggy006 wrote:
Looks interesting, any chance of a video?

Yes! Just as soon as I figure out the best way to do so. I can probably get OBS to do it...
Would this build work for a start on SSF?
What auras do you run becuase grace, malevolence, and skitterbots reserves over 100%
I was playing around with your POB seeing about trying this myself and if I could make a CI version of it (just 'cause. I'm not sure how I'd handle mana sustain as CI though, anything you'd suggest?) and noticed a pathing inefficiency in your tree. On the top Witch Area where Cruel Preparation (life node) and Breath of Flames is, if you go around the top instead of the bottom you save 1 point by taking 1 less Intelligence node.

https://i.imgur.com/o5HNdpH.png
Hi..

First, I love the build, feels really really good to play.

Only one thing, what's the point of skitterbots? From what I can tell, you can't use Malevolence, Grace and skitterbots at the same time, it's too much mana reserved? Or am I missing something?
"
Movement0 wrote:
What auras do you run becuase grace, malevolence, and skitterbots reserves over 100%

Malevolence 100% of the time
Grace - mapping
Skitter - only when doing ubers/A8. Also... they're bugged atm, movement is messed up.
"
Bzorek wrote:
Hi..

First, I love the build, feels really really good to play.

Only one thing, what's the point of skitterbots? From what I can tell, you can't use Malevolence, Grace and skitterbots at the same time, it's too much mana reserved? Or am I missing something?

Malevolence 100% of the time
Grace - mapping
Skitter - only when doing ubers/A8. Also... they're bugged atm, movement is messed up.

Skitters shock (in theory)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info