Possible unintended extra damage with Replica Infractem and Shrapnel Ballista?

I'm getting an interesting interaction with Replica Infractem and Shrapnel Ballista.

Using Shrapnel Ballista (linked with GMP and Culling Strike supports), I've found that it appears to be taking the 7 arrows I have, forking, and 2nd forking onto the same target, causing the target to take 49 arrows worth of damage.

Assuming the tooltip DPS of 1,640.5/arrow is accurate, and using 3 totems, this yields 241k dps... on a 3 link skill with zero investment outside my normal build for ice shot. This is pretty much instantly killing map bosses (not that I'm complaining). It's far outclassing barrage, which is what I was trying to use for single target damage.

Is this how the fork is supposed to work with this skill?

Thanks!
Last edited by csmith1991 on Sep 22, 2020, 7:19:41 AM
Last bumped on Oct 11, 2020, 4:00:06 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I can Second this bug, its a massive damage millions of damage on like a 4 link, can 1 shot players and t10 maps alike, single target or aoe, the math is wrong somewhere!
"
csmith1991 wrote:
I'm getting an interesting interaction with Replica Infractem and Shrapnel Ballista.

Using Shrapnel Ballista (linked with GMP and Culling Strike supports), I've found that it appears to be taking the 7 arrows I have, forking, and 2nd forking onto the same target, causing the target to take 49 arrows worth of damage.

Assuming the tooltip DPS of 1,640.5/arrow is accurate, and using 3 totems, this yields 241k dps... on a 3 link skill with zero investment outside my normal build for ice shot. This is pretty much instantly killing map bosses (not that I'm complaining). It's far outclassing barrage, which is what I was trying to use for single target damage.

Thanks!

Thanks for your report, we'll look into this.
"
Jatin_GGG wrote:

Hi, I'm one of the 2 or 3 other people doing this build this league. I did some pixel measurements on health bars and other calculations to see what the limits of this could be.

Since shrapnel ballista has the unique trait that all of its arrows can hit the same enemy, and because it looks like fork spawns the projectile at the same position as the previous one, it leads to this interaction. Doing the calculations on a build I made in PoB I was able to reach a throretical damage of upwards of 3 million damage per attack per ballista with replica infractum and awakened fork support assuming the enemy was standing still.
If fork is changed to not have this interaction, then the same build would have 63k damage per shot against a stationary enemy.
Additionally, enemies that move around alot are much less likely to take the full damage, only around 10-20% of what they would have taken had they been stationary. Which on that same build would be or two hits from shrapnel ballista, which intentionally has pitiful scaling to make up for it's unique property.

It does seem pretty crazy with the addition of replica infractum, but outright removing shrapnel shot's unique aspect from forked projectiles might be too harsh. Hopefully there is a middle ground that can be found that still allows this interaction to some degree.

I would recommend adding a minimum distance traveled before allowing a forked projectile to hit the same target. Assuming a character and humanoid enemy hotboxes are around 5 units in radius, a minimum travel distance of 4-6 units would be best. This would prevent players and small enemies from getting hit by more than one fork, but would still allow for large enemies like act and map bosses to be hit by both forks.

I hope GGG doesn't haphazardly slap a hard nerf on this niche build. I only play one build a league and this is that build. Also I'm new to forums, I'm not sure if quoting will ping Jatin, but hopefully someone at GGG sees my post.
"
Jatin_GGG wrote:
"
csmith1991 wrote:

Thanks!

any update on this? several builds in forum and on reddit now: example:

https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/j8zx67/shotgun_forking_roulette_shattered/

and

https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/j8kjui/600hp_a8_sirus_kill_by_deadeye_shrapnel_ballista/

example charachter:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/link1313/characters?characterName=RomanAlberons
Last edited by IceslayerVixxun on Oct 11, 2020, 3:46:09 AM
600 millions dps is great, the price of awakened fork is now 10 times what it was a week ago !
good bye build, nerf incomming.
Hopefully not mid-league. It's not as broken as that video makes it out to be... the gear is by no means cheap, all fixing the "bug" portion of this does is force people to use replica iron commander and strength stacking instead.
What do you mean not mid league, its a bug and gives you the ability to oneshot endgame content.
"
HanSoloDK wrote:
good bye build, nerf incomming.

nerf? i think you mean FIX

it was the same thing with old shattering steel, how fork worked with it. they fixed that, they will fix this too

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info