@Devs PoE and Next-Gen Consoles

I primarily play PoE. When a league grows stale, I venture to Madden or CoD, but otherwise, it's PoE. I specify this because now that we have a release date, price, and pre-order dates for at least one of the consoles, I am planning my funds ahead of time in order to get my new shiny box.

However, due to my limited game play, the upgrade would primarily be for PoE. I know it had been stated that PoE should be available without issue, but it has been some time since that statement was made. Has anything changed? Is there any delay or issues that may be expected? Are there any changes being made to better support the Next-Gen systems?

In short, is it worth it to get a new console for the current state of PoE on consoles, or would it be advised to wait?
PC : SqueakyToyOfTerror
XB : R3SPAWN#7045
Discord : R3SPAWN
Last edited by R3SPAWN7045 on Sep 10, 2020, 3:29:33 PM
Last bumped on Sep 2, 2023, 6:01:19 PM
I want to know, too.

With a good amount of optimism, I'm hoping for crossplay (allowing commerce with PC). And the new consoles should fix the crashes problems, and even play with sound if you want.

Well, dreaming is free...
Your post in the 'X' thread has been removed for breaching the following clauses of the Code of Conduct:

● Needlessly negative
● Antagonistic
Wanted to see if we could get a bump to this topic. With the new PS5 and Xbox Series X/S coming out this Fall, both systems claim they support backwards functionality. Can GGG address whether POE will be playable on the new systems, even at a basic emulation level?
Knowing how well this game plays on my PC vs Xbox 1x, I’m jumping on the new console ASAP. I prefer the controller to mouse and keyboard.
My computer runs this game with very little problems but rightly so it vastly superior to an Xbox 1x.
With that being said and having played this on multiple platforms I’m confident in saying that current generations of consoles just lack the raw horsepower needed for the current version of the game.
And as leagues progress it’s becoming more and more evident.
Path of Exile will be available on next generation consoles, yes. In terms of the changes, initially they will be running in backwards compatibility mode, which will see some benefit of the new hardware (i.e SSD). We intend to support the native implementations of these system at a later time.
I took 3 crashes in less than 1h. Without sound...

People who can play with sound said that this game has even a campaign! Can you believe it?
Your post in the 'X' thread has been removed for breaching the following clauses of the Code of Conduct:

● Needlessly negative
● Antagonistic
Will it benefit from the new cpu/gpu/ram? SSD doesn't add much on ps4. Certainly doesn't reduce the crashes.
"
Lockedown27 wrote:
Will it benefit from the new cpu/gpu/ram? SSD doesn't add much on ps4. Certainly doesn't reduce the crashes.

I run my poe on an Xbox 1x with an SSD. The graphical improvement from an OG Xbox with an ssd was night and day. The SSD, only drastically cut down on load times, and was completely neglible in difference between the two. But the volume of content I can run on a 1x because the monsters load quicker, less graphical errors ect.

My i7-10700k with a 2070super and 64gb of ram and an m.2 nvme runs poe like cake.

I have no doubts that the next gen consoles will run this game much more smoothly once optimized for that hardware setup.
"
Jeff_GGG wrote:
Path of Exile will be available on next generation consoles, yes. In terms of the changes, initially they will be running in backwards compatibility mode, which will see some benefit of the new hardware (i.e SSD). We intend to support the native implementations of these system at a later time.

So I'm reading this as don't buy one or hold your breath for any changes. Wait for someone that owns a PS5 to say it was worth it or you'll likely be frustrated with your purchase if you do it solely for PoE.

I think there's a lot of us in that boat. It's a sink or swim boat for us too, if this doesn't work... Will anything?
"
Jeff_GGG wrote:

Is this to say it will be available from day one of the launch? I've already pre-ordered my Series X as of this morning. I am glad to hear that it will be available, even if only as a backwards compat game. The increase in system RAM and M.2 SSD speeds will be enough of a performance boost to make it worth it for now.

However, being available on the next-gen doesnt specify a "when will it be available on next-gen", are there any expected delays?
PC : SqueakyToyOfTerror
XB : R3SPAWN#7045
Discord : R3SPAWN

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info