FPS cap, do you use it?

What title says, I have a humble 59hz pc monitor, so my limited knowledge says that all other fps are wasted(130ish). I'm right? Do you guys cap your fps to match your monitor or let it run freely?
Last bumped on May 28, 2020, 6:00:30 PM
higher fps lower frame time so you still perceive the game as being smoother even if your monitor is only 60hz
Last edited by CAPSLOCK_ON on May 7, 2020, 7:56:58 PM
"
CAPSLOCK_ON wrote:
higher fps lower frame time so you still perceive the game as being smoother even if your monitor is only 60hz

Does this mean if I have a CRT monitor paired with a 2080ti, I can achieve the smoothest experience ever?
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020
"
girng wrote:
"
CAPSLOCK_ON wrote:

Does this mean if I have a CRT monitor paired with a 2080ti, I can achieve the smoothest experience ever?

no idea
As others have said, higher FPS can give you a smoother experience because of frame times, even if it's noticeably higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. That said, it can also result in screen tearing and ghosting.

So, it's all about your experience. If you can run 130 fps on your 60hz monitor without any graphical issues (or temperature issues), I don't see any reason to cap it at 60 fps.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I cap mine at 60 because if I don't my GPU begin a nuclear meltdown and it goes anywhere from 110 to 144 FPS, never settling on one frame rate no matter how hard it tries. 60 solves all my problems, still can't believe it took them so long to add a cap to the game
I'm usually well over frame cap, but capping at 60 fps feels smoother to me. I think it's because it then feels less disruptive when my fps occasionally takes dives below 60.
I'd rather my system only has to work hard when it needs to, rather than 100% of the time all the time.
The server literally only computes 30 ticks per second anyway so anything you perceive in between those frames is quite genuinely misleading (and frankly I don't believe 90% of the people who say that they can tell the difference between 60 and 180fps unless they're like trained military snipers. These same people aren't complaining about live video feeds feeling choppy! I mean, except the remaining 10% of them. *some* are telling the truth).

With that said, I leave it at 60fps, not 30, because I've at least convinced myself that I can tell that much of a difference :P
"
codetaku wrote:
The server literally only computes 30 ticks per second anyway so anything you perceive in between those frames is quite genuinely misleading (and frankly I don't believe 90% of the people who say that they can tell the difference between 60 and 180fps unless they're like trained military snipers. These same people aren't complaining about live video feeds feeling choppy! I mean, except the remaining 10% of them. *some* are telling the truth).

With that said, I leave it at 60fps, not 30, because I've at least convinced myself that I can tell that much of a difference :P

the difference in frame time from 30 to 60 is immense but from 60 up the difference isn't as big although i can definitely feel a difference in movement and using skills at 200 fps compared to capped 60

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info