[3.12] Project 82 - 82% Block Impale Cyclone Gladiator - Killed by GGG in 3.16

NO LONGER VIABLE
In 3.16 GGG decided to precisely kill this build. So, my fellow block fans, dark days are came. Farewell

Rotting corpse
3.9 patch made some changes to game. Main one - there is more incoming damage. So if you want to play calm, you need to get tough build. And one of the toughest is Max Block Gladiator. With 80%+ block and spell block chance it can withstand almost any threat.
Damagewise I've went meta route and picked Impale Cyclone. For now it shows great solo/AoE damage.
Also this build using The Surrender Ezomyte Tower Shield for this precious lvl30 Reconing

WARNING! There is always current, more "up to date" and overall better version in second post. It will migrate to main section on league end.

League changes

3.10 - Delirium
Passive tree - no changes
Skills - no changes
Items - no changes
New stuff - not much benefits

In delirium summoners was nerfed (no impact on this build), wand attacks revamped (no impact), some mana - related stuff added (no impact) and cluster jewels added (you may want to get yourself chaos res one with Antivenom or QoL stuff, but in terms of damage and general performance regular tree is better).
On other side Delirium encounters was built exactly for this build. So it shines now!

End-league conclusion: for low and mid-tear expenses Delirium didn't give us a lot. Clusters are sometimes useful, but mostly regular tree is better.
For hi-end expenses clusters can provide 15-20% more damage via Deep Cuts.

3.11 - Harvest
Passive tree:
-Forceful Skewering is moved to Scion life wheel, too far to pick now.
-A lot more Keystones appear everywhere. Need time to check them.
Skills - Cyclone stun immunity gone. All hopes in Painforged now.
Items - Some cluster jewels was nerfed, but it's not huge deal.
New stuff - A bit more easy to get decent gear. I'll make crafting guides for some stuff if I manage to get any.
Conclusion: Harvest haven't done much to this build. It's possible to incorporate some warcry into it, but in general - no changes.

3.12 - Heist
League changes:
-Selfcast curses is not applicable here.
-Steel skill reworks is interesting, will look into them later.
-No useful Replica uniques.
-No major differences with alternate quality, but this is worth investigation anyways.
-ALL experimented basetypes is useless here.
Conclusion: Heist is another great opportunity for this build to shine. By adding some alternative quality gems we can improve it even further, but it's still way off-meta build and it's not gaining any huge improvements or changes.

Pros/Cons

Pros:
+A lot of block chance. Can AFK tank bosses
+Good damage
+Some AFK damage
+Fast enough since no manual evading needed
+Have burst damage
+Simple and cheap gearing for red maps (under 3 ex)
+A lot of space for investments
Cons:
-Weak against DoT (Shaper Beam etc)
-Bleeding is rare but painful
-Random very rare one-shot deaths (HC not recommended but possible)
-Top end gears expensive AF
-Not the fastest guy here

Map mods:
All except Phys reflect. No leech is uncomfortable, burning/consecrated ground is a bit painful.

Showcase

Chimera:
Hydra:

Minotaur: Video

Elder:
Sirus Awakening 6:
Shaper:
Simulacrum: 20/20 first try

Uber Elder is still refuses to die. Post screenshot here when i manage to convince him

Links

PoB pastebin: https://pastebin.com/bUp13BXT
Recent character: Heist attempt

Gear

Current Gear

Weapon

For weapon, this build uses one-handed swords, preferably foils.

Luxury here is Paradoxica with high aps

also "Hits can't be evaded" can be added to this build but since accuracy is not a big deal I prefer to skip it.

Shield

Shield with high block chance, defenses and any stats you want is great here.

But I want it to be a bit more than it. So I've got this candy:

A bit of life, life on block and decent passive AoE damage. Costs around 1 ex.

Helmet

Life, defences etc. Can have "Nearby enemies have -9 to phys resistance" mod.

Also, here huge DpS chunk:

It's like 25-30% of our DpS. But also it makes this build weak against bleeding and lab traps.

Body Armour

Look for "Guatelitzi's" temple mod on armour/evasion base.
Belly is good here, but rare is much better.

Gloves

Attack speed, added damage, accuracy, built-in Faster Attacks Support. Spiked gloves is the best.

Oskarm gloves can be cheaper alternative. Also it have Curse on Hit, so you have a lot more crit chance.

For maximum damage you may get corrupted gloves with Vulnerability on hit. Rare ones is not so common, so look for some corrupted uniques. My choice here is Worldcarver.

Boots

Rare one with life and stats/resistances you missing. Onslaught on kill is good.

Amulet

Obvious choice here is Anvil.

Anointments

-Sanctuary (Amber-Teal-Teal) - block, resistances
-Command of Steel (Amber-Crimson-Opalescent) - block, damage, attack speed
-Precise Interception (Verdant-Crimson-Black) - block, damage, attack speed, defences

Rings

Rare rings with life, resistances, int (we need a lot). If you not using Curse on Hit gloves look for Vulnerability on hit here (Warlord's influence). Vulnerability is very important, it provides around 25% of damage.

For some QoL I've picked Unset rings. If you can get decent one with +# to level of socketed gems and socket Blood and Sand there it will be +5% damage at least.

Belt

Generic life/resist/armour belt here.

Ryslatha's Coil is also a great option here, but you need to get resistanses elsewhere for using it.

Flasks

Recommended flask setup:
-Lion's Roar

-Diamond flask

-Sulphur flask

-Life flask for some casualties

-Movement/Silver flask

Across all flasks you may want to use Staunching suffix (NOT on life flask. You want to get full duration of this buff) and Dousing suffix.
Personally I've got Surgeon's Sulfur flask of Staunching. It can get charges without kills, so I can have consistent bleed immunity uptime.

Jewels

Watcher's Eye with +2 impale layers gives us ~20% damage boost. Also, onslaught on kill is great.
Besides of that you can get any missing stats here.

Mandatory one is jewel with Corrupted Blood immunity that allows this build to even drop Staunching flask.

And for cluster jewels all the things is a bit more complicated. We don't have spare skill points, so use it only if it gives some huge boost for character.

Another thing is Hex Breaker node on Chanelling medium cluster. It gives us curse immunity and actually negates all curses dangers.

Also quite moderate but still ok is Heist introduced Steel jewels which gives us impale effect

Gems & links

Main skill: Cyclone
CInfused for 5th link
Close Combat or Rage for 6th. Rage is better for mapping and CC for bossing

Passive damage: Reconing
Skill is granted by shield. Also, links is not required
or

Additional stuff, movement, golem
You may want to put your golem on another CWDT link and forget about summoning it again and again.

Auras/buffs
Precision may be any lvl. You can level it up as far as you feel comfortable

CWDT chain

if you don't have curse on hit ring you can use this:

Skill Tree, ascendancy etc

Target passive tree - lvl 100

Ascendancy:
Painforged => Versalite Combatant => Violent Retaliation => Outmatch and Outlast (Frenzy generation, 10% damage) / Arena Challenger (a bit more damage, if you have another frenzy source)
Bandits:
Kill all or help Alira
Pantheon:
Major god: Solaris or Arkaali
Minor god: Shakari (against chaos/poisons), Abberath (against fire/ignites) or Ralakesh (against bleeding)

Build Options

Cheaper one with Facebreakers (introduce some taunting problems, also lacks damage): poeurl.com/cKDO
Some day I've started as this one, but in end-game changed my mind and went weapon route

Expensive meta one with dual wielding: poeurl.com/cKDQ

F.A.Q.

"Why you pick Iron Reflexes/not pick %evasion/dodge/blind node%"
Obviously, any chance to avoid hit is chance to not block. It lowers my damage.

"Isn't %Gemname% will be more efficent?"
From my calculations I've got pretty minmaxed setup here. But you can try, if it will be better I'll change my mind.

"Is it HC viable?"
Pretty much yes. You may sacrifice some damage for life/defenses. Maybe change Abyssus for Starkonja's.

"Stun/Freeze immunity?"
It can block when stunned/frozen, so nah.

Build in work. Open for suggestions
Last edited by lorrey on Oct 15, 2021, 4:59:43 AM
Last bumped on Jun 1, 2020, 6:23:03 PM
Severed parts
Levelling
Useful Uniques

Levelling course - take any melee skill you like, shield with high block chance and Riposte-Melee Splash setup. Fly to 28th, pick Cyclone there.

Current league progress - Heist

Actual character link.
Now I'm playing around passive tree trying to get as much useful nodes as possible while remaining above 5k life.
Endgame progress incoming.
Last edited by lorrey on Oct 15, 2021, 5:00:23 AM
La verdad no esta nada mal, ya la complete con todos los items que le dan fortaleza a esta raiz.....¿puedes subir un update de esta misma pero con mas daño :D?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info