Wolcen - Lords of Mayonnaise

Very clean telegraphed bossfights that are entertaining. A somewhat solid active dodge roll mechanic which makes u feel like a proper pleb if you got 1-shot since it was clearly visible what was going to happen. Player skill, positioning and correct timing of your abilities gives it a wired mobaesque feel wich may result in euphoria or rage. No 1x1 px boss arenas. No visual clutter. No offscreen 1-shots. No death penalty that affects character progession itself but punishes progession outside of it.

Then again you have: getting obliterated by a boss slam cus the hitbox lands before the animation. Some passives either work in the false way or not at all. A matchmaking that is not working (i played for approx. 80h public and no1 ever joined) which is esp. bad since group play is where the game shines - on paper at least since the obviously intended synergies between archetypes are briked due to latter point. And the list goes on.

Wish PoE had Wolcen's combat: clean telegraphed fights, no clutter and more emphasis on player skill (well to some extend....im aware it's an ARPG), slower paced and fairer fights. Altough i would miss the good laugh dying to some bs on death effect while im in a Cassia dialogue.

Compared to PoE Wolcen's endgame content is ofc laughable but what really concerns me the most is that it's kinda reminiscent to D3 - which had the excitement comparable to licking a freshly used toilett brush.

Oh and btw you have to fight Kitava. But in Wolcen you just press E and turn into something uberthingy and blast him away with all your mayonnaise.
Last edited by ScoutAT on Feb 20, 2020, 7:17:50 AM
Last bumped on Jun 29, 2020, 3:24:43 PM
Because too many Wolcen threads, this one's subject has been truncated to simply Lords of Mayonnaise.

That said: https://youtu.be/A5jnftBQw2U
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 20, 2020, 10:11:40 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Because too many Wolcen threads, this one's subject has been truncated to simply Lords of Mayonnaise.

That said: https://youtu.be/A5jnftBQw2U

The video an exceptionaly perfect truncation of a tl,dr post and also made me learn a new word: trrrrruncation. rolling the rrrrr tickles my tongue

And here's a truncation of my emotions thinking of trying to get watchstones within the next league:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
By far the best take I've seen on Wolcen so far. Short, sweet, vivid and relatable - https://youtu.be/_1OpbL04jII xD
"
Exile009 wrote:
By far the best take I've seen on Wolcen so far. Short, sweet, vivid and relatable - https://youtu.be/_1OpbL04jII xD

Yes that's also what i did: respeccing over and over untill i had passives that wheren't bricked.

Seeing him playing melee i have just 1 thing to say: Ephermal edge (skill) used on sword and board where u become an unkillable god dealing quadrillions tons of damage whilst self taking zero.

But wait a minute: One skill and one archetype everybody plays....haven't i seen that in an other game....

To be fair: Matchmaking now works and is stable for the most part.
So yeah they are actually fixing shit.
If they were truly fixing shit the negative reviews wouldn't outweigh the positive ones. Today, when people have more time to play, there were more negative reviews again. Eventually they'll run out of time or something new (PoE's next league) will show up.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
If they were truly fixing shit the negative reviews wouldn't outweigh the positive ones.
I'm not sure about that.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
If they were truly fixing shit the negative reviews wouldn't outweigh the positive ones.
I'm not sure about that.

Agreed. People are always more willing to take the time to complain about something they don't like than praise something they do.
Combat is relatively smooth, but some of the mechanics behind it are lame. Can only cast spells with a staff or catalyst? Can't melee with a staff? Can't use a clearly 1-h catalyst with a shield? No other 1-hand caster weapons? There are a few exceptions that open up some normally unavailable options, but it still just boils down to arbitrary pigeonholing in some half-baked attempt to make the combat different.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
I'm not sure about that.

Agreed. People are always more willing to take the time to complain about something they don't like than praise something they do.

Most reviews on steam are in the green (positive). Why? Because people paid for those games and presumably knew what they walked into. It is quite rare to get 50%+ negative reviews for a game unless said game is that big of a disappointment.

Do note that the negative reviews still outpace the positive ones more than a week after launch. Two types of people review at this point: 1. The guys who bought it later and still don't like it and 2. The guys who wanted to play a bit more, to give the game a chance, but ultimately didn't like it.

So all the fixing going on doesn't accomplish anything. Not unless there is an actual shift in the playerbase towards positive experiences.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info