Xbox unplayable frame rate while firing 91 explosive arrows per a second

I'm relatively new to this game (playing a few months now). I finally created a build that is awesome and can wipe out end game content very quickly. Unfortunately this build makes the game unplayable. I'm playing on a Xbox One S. I continued to scale up the attack speed on my character because each additional explosive arrow provides 3% more ignite damage. I finally got to the point where I'm firing 91 explosive arrows per a second and the frame rate drops significantly when firing my arrows with only a few enemies around. When there are many enemies around and I unleash my machine gun of arrows the frame rate drops to less than 1 frame per a second and I die. Many times the game flat out crashes to the point that I don't even get an error message, instead I just get sent back to the xbox home screen.

It took me a while to get my attack rate as high as it is, and the more I increased it, the worse the frame rate issue became. My characters name is _Power_Ranger_ (linked to this account, which is also my xbox account). I'm using a quill rain, barrage support, greater multiple projectiles, and a huge amount of attack speed increases from many sources (I could easily go over 100 arrows per a second if I wanted to sacrifice some health).

I've read from many sources that the game has lag and frame rate issues on the xbox. To confirm that the extreme frame rate issues I'm seeing are not just from end-game content (this is my first time going this far), I added an alternate weapon that is using ice shot and is only putting out 20 arrows per a second (10 attacks per a second with 2 projectiles). When I switch to my alternate weapon I still have some frame rate issues when there are a ton of enemies around (Cassia causes huge frame rate issues), but the game is still playable. When I use my primary (91 arrows per second explosive arrow) the game is completely unplayable anytime I start firing my arrows around a large group of enemies. I'm very disappointed with this. I created an awesome build and its useless because the game can't handle it on xbox.

One thing I'm not certain of yet is weather the 91 arrows per a second AND explosive arrow are causing the problem, or if 91 arrows per a second that are not explosive would still have the same problem. Either way this issue has me very upset and wondering if this game is still worth playing. I don't know if building out some other awesome character will also result in an unplayable frame rate. I would play on PC but it doesn't support controllers and I'm not down with carpel tunnel (yes I tried the controller to keyboard/mouse emulation on PC and it sucks, so I'm stuck with playing on a console).

The game should be optimized for the xbox hardware so that its frame rate never drops below a certain point, and there could even be an option to reduce the quality of the graphics to ensure a playable frame rate. This is reminding me of Diablo II LOD way back in 2005 when I had a high end gaming PC and the frame rate would still go to crap in many circumstances despite the fact that my PC had faster hardware than any existing computer when the game was released. That is just poor programming. Blizzard got the frame rate issues right with Diablo III but they ruined every other part of the game for me by making it an arcade game with minimal strategy. Please make PoE playable on xbox (or add controller support on PC).
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2020, 8:48:47 AM
Just confirmed the 91 arrows per a second is the problem, regardless if they are explosive arrows or some other skill. The problem is firing 91 arrows per a second with explosive arrow is amazingly powerful, but it makes the game unplayable....👿
I did more testing. I tried using plain old barrage as the main skill because it doesn't have any fancy animations tied to the arrows. First I tried it with about 90 arrows per a second, and it caused major frame rate issues the same as explosive arrow. I then stepped it up to an entirely different level: ~135 arrows per a second. I accomplished this by using barrage + barrage support + greater multiple projectiles + lesser multiple projectiles + volley support + faster attacks. This made the game drop to about 5 frames per a second when firing at a single rare enemy. Basically the game is unplayable on xbox when firing a ton of projectiles, even if they don't have any extra animations (explosive arrow, ice shot, etc..). This is super lame because the game encourages you to fire a ton of projectiles with explosive arrow because you get 3% more ignite damage per arrow. Basically, the game encourages you to break it, and then get really angry that you keep dying because the game is broken.
I tried changing my xbox to put out 720p to my TV. Thinking maybe a lower resolution would let the game run smoother. It didn't make any difference, in fact the first map I went in made the game crash to the xbox home screen as soon as I started firing at a pack. I did some research and it looks like the xbox is going to render the game at what ever resolution is specified by the game, it will then upscale or downscale to the resolution I tell the xbox to use, therefore a lower resolution does not improve performance (https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5jg6ik/does_running_at_720p_improve_frame_rate_on_some/dbfwvyi?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x). There really needs to be an option to turn down the graphics in order to improve the frame rate on xbox. This game is unplayable!
I took drastic measures to try and fix this: I bought a xbox one x. I have the game set to favor performance (BTW I don't recall this being an option with xbox one s). The game is now playable with my 91 arrows per a second, but it still drops to terribly low frame rates (1-5 FPS) under certain circumstances (when there's a ton of enemies on the screen). There still needs to be a lot of work done to prevent these terrible dips in frame rate both on the xbox one s and xbox one x (its far worse on the xbox one s). The xbox one s would also crash very frequently when there were too many enemies and arrows on the screen, I have not had this issue with the xbox one x yet but I've only been playing on it for a couple hours (It would happen mutliple times per hour with the xbox one s)
I'm assuming you can destroy everything in the game with a lot less arrows than that. You should just drop some arrows and scale your damage with something else. You could probably get a lot more damage out of a good Thicket Bow with some + gem levels.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
Kudos to you for putting so much thought, work, and even money towards fixing your issue! The problem isn’t just projectiles though. Truth be told - any kind of mass ANYTHING breaks the game. Whether it’s minions, arrows, or even too much loot on the ground. The end boss fight with Sirus is pretty much unplayable as a summoner and GGG has barely acknowledged there is even a problem. Almost an entire season of the last boss being broken doesn’t bode well for people hoping for quick fixes. I hate that this game is in such a poor state, but honestly that’s the norm since launch (on pc too from what I gather).
I really believe the problem lies with GGG releasing a new league every three months. With a small team, that realistically doesn’t leave much time proper QA and testing. Unfortunately, this seems to be a trend and while it’s cool to see new content, it’s beyond frustrating to deal with so many bugs in a game that punishes you for dying.
I agree. We should not be penalized for playing the builds they allow us to make. I’ve always mained Flicker Strike and when the game first released it wasn’t this bad. I’m not even running crazy auras or stuff with massive particle effects. Literally my game is tuned to a bare minimum to run efficiently on Xbox One X and still these simplest of setups are proving to be troublesome with Desync and FPS drops and all that. I’m disappointed as a long time player. Has anyone else noticed they haven’t even attempted to respond unless you crash or it’s related to a new update or cosmetic pack? Kinda makes you wonder if they care at all. The excuse that POE2 is taking up their time is irrelevant. These patches are supposed to go through certification before released and yet the game is still in a state that is close to unplayable for mid to late game.
After playing on the xbox one x for a while now I have to say the game still crashes very frequently. Often 3-4 times per a hour. The frame rate remains mostly playable most of the time (but certainly far from ideal or good looking), but the crashes are ruining this game.
I think I'm done with this game. The more I play on Xbox One X with end game content (especially delves at level 200 and deeper), the more it crashes. I get fed up real quick when I'm delving to an awesome place and I'm almost done clearing all the bad guys and the game crashes to the xbox home screen for the 5th time in less than an hour, or when I run out of portals in a really expensive map because the game keeps crashing. This is unplayable. It really sucks because PoE is an amazing game, aside from the fact that it constantly crashes and the frame rate is terrible, which makes it a terrible game that is not worth playing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info