Wolcen, the game that will dethrone PoE...

... is a game that should have, as required viewing, this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRPtDsk7AmU

(No hate. I hope, as another more-or-less Indie developer, they have all the longterm success. But seriously, this video ;p)
#1 rule of official forum boards of every video game ever: use the forums to relay info, gather suggestions, or the rare narrow-focused Poll; but NEVER as "feedback".

#2 rule: Never say the #1 rule in an official capacity. Let some guy on the forums say it, leaving yourself plausible deniability.
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2020, 10:45:01 AM
It happens.

Let's not pretend duping and exploiting never happened in other games. (Let alone such a small team)

Hell soj duping and uber Diablo was honestly a joke!

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
just. play. offline.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
just. play. offline.

If you watched the video, he does play offline. But offline doesn't magically make all the bugs and exploits go away, it's just that you won't be ruining other people's session when they do (of course, they might have their own bugs to deal with...).

Though as an upshot, the Wolcen subreddit is a lot of fun to read these days. :p
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
just. play. offline.

If you watched the video, he does play offline. But offline doesn't magically make all the bugs and exploits go away, it's just that you won't be ruining other people's session when they do (of course, they might have their own bugs to deal with...).

Though as an upshot, the Wolcen subreddit is a lot of fun to read these days. :p

My point is that when you play offline, you don't have to care about what other people do, and you can decide for yourself if you want to use exploits or not. Which means if you don't use them, they literally don't matter. Bugs are a different issue of course.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
just. play. offline.

My point is that when you play offline, you don't have to care about what other people do, and you can decide for yourself if you want to use exploits or not. Which means if you don't use them, they literally don't matter. Bugs are a different issue of course.

This.

I seriously don't get a lot of the rage surrounding the game, mostly due to how it addresses the multiplayer woes. Yes, I get it, it's frustrating, but multiplayer is only one part of the game. And furthermore; it's co-op multiplayer, NOT AN MMO. Who you play with is 100% your choice. You do not rely on an ongoing economy nearly the same way that you do in POE or an outright MMO.

Also, on the subject of the multiplayer issues; the game has become far more stable as of this week. Not perfect yet, but by the next few weeks if this keeps up, it should be better. Which yeah, that sounds rough, but it's hardly any worse than any online functionality game takes to address these specific issues. Is that an excuse for launching with these issues? No, but it is me saying that people really ought to just take a damn breath instead of crucifying the indie team as the big example before the whole industry.

(And before anyone whines at me, no, I am in no way insinuating that "Wolcen is better than POE". I like them both, as anyone is capable of doing).
"
Also, on the subject of the multiplayer issues; the game has become far more stable as of this week. Not perfect yet, but by the next few weeks if this keeps up, it should be better. Which yeah, that sounds rough, but it's hardly any worse than any online functionality game takes to address these specific issues. Is that an excuse for launching with these issues? No, but it is me saying that people really ought to just take a damn breath instead of crucifying the indie team as the big example before the whole industry.

Hype and anger are two sides of the same coin. If games didn't sell themselves on hype and pre-purchase/day 1 purchases to begin with, they wouldn't face as much premature anger either. If game sales were a more slow and steady curve from release to a few months to years after release, then you wouldn't have so many people piling onto them for good or ill.

But they aren't. And Wolcen in specific isn't innocent in this regard either. It did try to aggressively encourage early buy-ins. It had a lot of sponsored marketing and streaming. But even more egregiously, it forced you to choose between buying in early for an uncertain product or be penalized for being more patient by having to pay 50% more. If their servers couldn't handle all the traffic, they have only themselves to blame - not simply for not buying more server capacity, but also for seeking out those kind of Day 1 numbers to begin with.

They could have done this differently - let reviews and streams come out on their own, let players come to the game on their own terms. But no. They CHOSE to embrace some of the shittiest business practices the industry has today. And so if they're going to try to benefit from those practices, they should not be immune to the backlash such practices generate when things go wrong.
"
Exile009 wrote:
But even more egregiously, it forced you to choose between buying in early for an uncertain product or be penalized for being more patient by having to pay 50% more

Huh?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
But even more egregiously, it forced you to choose between buying in early for an uncertain product or be penalized for being more patient by having to pay 50% more

Huh?

They bumped up the price on launch, encouraging people to buy it before they had any idea what the final product was like (even the early reviews - based on similarly limited review copies - have had to issue disclaimers after all the issues came to light). You haven't been following it well if you never heard that. That's why people accuse the game of being a cash-grab, not just cos it launched in an unfinished / unpolished state.
Last edited by Exile009 on Feb 20, 2020, 10:43:16 AM
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:

Huh?

They bumped up the price on launch, encouraging people to buy it before they had any idea what the final product was like (even the early reviews - based on similarly limited review copies - have had to issue disclaimers after all the issues came to light). You haven't been following it well if you never heard that. That's why people accuse the game of being a cash-grab, not just cos it launched in an unfinished / unpolished state.

1. No one is forced to do anything at all, ever. That's absurd. Purchase or dont. If your patience and judgement is swayed by $10, then I'd say it wasnt worth much to begin with.

2. $30 going to $40 isnt a 50% increase. (Price for many months)

3. Many, many games, incentivize early access, beta keys, cosmetics and collectibles, and all kinds of other shit to get people to come and try, and help fund development.
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info