[3.10] ED/Contagion Trickster | 3M+ Shaper DPS | 8.5k+ EHP MoM/EB | +50% quant | League starter

Straight-forward, easy-to-level ED/Contagion build with a surprising amount of survivability on a budget.

Notable images

PoB EHP

Complete(d) Deadly Encounters

All end-game content completed (using quant gear, no shenanigans).

Pros/Cons
Pros
3M+ Shaper DPS
Instant trash clear
Evasion, MoM, and a ton of damage reduction
Doesn't care about map mods
50% inc quantity without self-gimping
Gear overlap with other popular builds
Best Monolith clear in the game

Cons
No regen maps require a more careful playstyle
Sparsely populated maps can be tedious
2-/3-skill playstyle isn't for everyone

Gems/Links
Essence Drain - Efficacy - Controlled Destruction - Empower - Void Manipulation - Swift Afflication
Just drop gems off the end for a 5 or even 4 slot.

Vaal Blight - Infused Channeling - Efficacy - Controlled Destruction - Void Manipulation - Swift Affliction/Increased Duration/Empower
Just drop gems off the end for a 5 or even 4 slot. If you can channel Blight a lot, Swift Affliction is your best outright DPS gem. Alternatively, Increased Duration keeps the effects of Blight/Vaal Blight around longer, which tends to be more generally useful in my opinion. Empower kinda straddles the two, but poorly.

Contagion - Intensity - Increased Area of Effect - Faster Casting
You don't strictly need Faster Casting, but you'll definitely notice its absence. Plus we've actually got slots to spare overall.

Malevolence - Flesh and Stone/Arctic Armour
The defensive skill doesn't matter too much, although I personally find Flesh and Stone to be more generally useful.

CWDT - Steelskin
You'll want these both at level 20. This lets us absorb fairly colossal amounts of damage (provided it's not a one-shot), and is especially good at nullifying porcupines.

CWDT - Temporal Chains
Simple, dumb method of applying Temp Chains. Provides both offensive and defensive utility. Keep CWDT at level 1 and Temporal Chains at level 5.

Flame Dash
No need for Faster Casting after the blink changes.

Portal
Fuck scrolls. Honestly, you can replace this with about anything - add another link to a CWDT setup if you like, whatever, but I use it for Portal

Gear
This contains all of my personal current gear. There might be other options but I wanted to ensure what I posted here matched the PoB.

Key concepts
Given that this build targets 50%+ increased quantity, a lot of item choices could be subbed out for alternatives for increases in durability and damage, so instead of going down that rabbit hole I'm just going to link what I use and explain why I use it (and offer alternatives on a few).

Weapons

AFAIK, this is (at least damn near) the best gear you can get for ED/Contagion in the < 10ex range. Eagerly awaiting someone to prove me wrong. While levelling/otherwise poor, get yourself one of these:

Helmet

It's really hard to beat the Crown. I'm sure there are rares that might, but even without the enchantment it's an incredible bit of gear due to how the Transfigurations work.

Body Armour

Cloak of Defiance is my personally favorite, but you can start with a MoM Skin of the Lords on the (fairly) cheap.

Alternatively, you can drop the Thick Skin life wheel and path to MoM/Quick Recovery and run any of:
Tabula Rasa
Skin of the Loyal
The Perfect Form (you'll need to free up a gem slot for Arctic Armour)
Inpulsa's Broken Heart (for big shocksplosions)
Carcass Jack
Hyrri's Ire

Gloves

Storm's Gift gloves are incredible with the right implicits, but there's almost countless alternatives. These are only mandatory if you're wanting to run an Inpulsa's chest.

Boots

Goldwyrms are a big chunk of our quant, but just about any boots will work if you don't care about that.

Amulet

More quant, bunch of attributes, some other nice-to-haves. Prioritize filling stats and quant over anything else. Whatever you end up using, make sure to anoint Corruption unless you've got a good reason to go with a different notable.

Rings

These two rings comprise a large portion of our quant and a bit of res, so it's generally ideal to get these in place ASAP. Prioritize the white-socket Pariah as it's easier to get and you can use the other slot as a res-filler until you can afford a nice Ventor's.

Belt

Attributes, life, and res - nothing else needed here.

Jewels
The only hard-requirement for jewels is a minimum of 1 Spreading Rot (preferably with a cannot be maimed or silenced implicit). For your other slots, just cap res, hit your attribute requirements, and fill life as much as possible. Chaos DoT Multi is nice to have but absolutely not necessary. A Watcher's Eye with the DoT Multi is a good chase unique, but it's still only a marginal improvement.

Misc

Leveling
Use Blight and Contagion. Get MoM + EB as soon as you have Patient Reaper.

Ascendancy Order
1. Patient Reaper
2. Ghost Dance
3. Escape Artist
4. Prolonged Pain

Bandits
Kill All

Pantheon
Major: Bring King
Minor: Abberath

Bring King makes getting smacked around a lot less traumatic, and Abberath makes dealing with Burning Ground way easier. Feel free to mix up the minor option as much as you like.

Keystones
Mind Over Matter
This keystone forms the bulk of our defense in combination with...

Eldritch Battery
Besides providing more EHP per point of energy shield when combined with MoM, EB also allows us to reserve most of our mana pool without much concern.

Wicked Ward
This keystone almost certainly isn't necessary, but it acts as a "panic button" of sorts. Dodge for 4 seconds and you'll get back enough ES to keep fighting no matter how badly you fuck up.

Arrow Dancing
Criminally underrated keystone. When combined with Flesh and Stone, both melee and ranged enemies are effectively blinded. Super noticeable when jumping into an incursion portal with a heavy infestation of Vaal Constructs.

Bow crafting
There's probably a better guide for this out there, but here's the quick and dirty:

1. Start with your bow of choice (strongly recommend one with a movespeed implicit)
2. Scour
3. Spam alts for T1 DoT Multi
4. Regal
5. Annul any prefixes, restart at (2) if you hit the DoT Multi
5.a. If you hit the DoT Multi, start back at step (2)
6. Craft multi-mod and Cannot roll attack modifiers
6.a. Fill the remaining suffix if needed
7. Slam for a guaranteed +1 to Socketed Gems
8. Remove crafted mods
9. Craft multi-mod, +2 to Support Gems, and Chaos DoT Multi

Influence
Ideally you want an uninfluenced base and to have a single suffix when you begin multi-crafting. Using a Redeemer's Exalted Orb, this will allow you to have a 33% chance of slamming movespeed and a 33% chance of slamming onslaught on kill. You'll want to do this after you've completed the steps above. (If you're using a pre-influenced base, it's not worth trying to annul down to just the DoT Multi.)
Last edited by GovernorJebBush on Mar 13, 2020, 11:43:35 AM
Last bumped on Mar 31, 2020, 11:44:48 AM
Reserved.
Tell me about quiver pls
How can i use Essence drain?

Spoiler
how do you get 3 Mil Shaper DPS?

When I import your PoB ED is at 586k DPS against Shaper.
"
TheBugurtov wrote:
Tell me about quiver pls

What would you like to know?

"
TheBugurtov wrote:
How can i use Essence drain?

Spoiler

EB lets you use Energy Shield as Mana.

"
Areasy wrote:
how do you get 3 Mil Shaper DPS?

When I import your PoB ED is at 586k DPS against Shaper.

You may need to check some boxes as far as activating Vaal Blight and potentially setting Wither stacks and various things like that. As long as you can channel Blight for a second or two at a time, you can keep up a significant amount of stacks of that as well (which is where we get our Wither from - and it should add about 2m to our overall DPS as well). I think technically speaking during any phase where a boss can be simply be channeled at, the actual DPS is over 3.5m.

That said, if you're just using ED for damage, the highest you're going to get with this build is ~1m. But that's just actively choosing to limit yourself.
Edit: nevermind, found it!

Thanks for the guide!
Last edited by Alkyen on Feb 23, 2020, 10:36:54 AM
Interesting spin with the quant integration. I'd rather have 75% dodge than 50% quant in the absolute endgame (completely different gear/tree), but this is cleverly made for sure.

Also, you have a pathing error on your tree ner EB, wasting 1 point.

Edit: btw, with our current cast speed it takes 5-6 seconds of pure chanelling to apply 15 wither stacks. Spreading rot's wither stacks only last 2 seconds, 3.8 with your current skill effect duration. You're only reaching 11 withered stacks if you're ONLY chanelling, which is already unrealistic. 9 stacks would be a good estimate imo, not 15.
Last edited by Darkxellmc on Feb 24, 2020, 5:37:24 AM
"
Darkxellmc wrote:
Interesting spin with the quant integration. I'd rather have 75% dodge than 50% quant in the absolute endgame (completely different gear/tree), but this is cleverly made for sure.

Also, you have a pathing error on your tree ner EB, wasting 1 point.

Edit: btw, with our current cast speed it takes 5-6 seconds of pure chanelling to apply 15 wither stacks. Spreading rot's wither stacks only last 2 seconds, 3.8 with your current skill effect duration. You're only reaching 11 withered stacks if you're ONLY chanelling, which is already unrealistic. 9 stacks would be a good estimate imo, not 15.

Thanks! Dodge is definitely missed a little bit. Arrow Dancing + Flesh & Stone makes up for it in some ways, but it's still a bit more glassy in some situations. Once you get above the 8k EHP mark I can't say I noticed much of an issue, but before that it can be a bit shifty.

Thanks for pointing out the pathing error! I'll update the PoB to reflect that. Can't believe how much time I've spent tweaking this tree over the past league or two and I never noticed that.

I was under the impression I was getting a cast speed of ~5.3, which should translate directly to ~5.3 Wither stacks per second - could you elaborate on how you got to the values you did? With Increased Duration (which I'll post the updated tree with), I'm also getting a Wither duration of 4.7s, which means hitting max stacks and keeping it there should be fairly reasonable in most boss fights. (With Swift Affliction instead of Inc Dur, which is what I had in the original PoB and therefore probably what you're looking at, there's definitely much less of a grace period.)
Last edited by GovernorJebBush on Feb 25, 2020, 8:37:24 PM
Hi, I was wondering why you don't opt to use totems or have it as an option for Blight/Wither. What is your reason for this?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info