Wolcen Hype Release!

Interesting. I couldn't write such a scathing, zero-positive-points review with a Not Recommended conclusion for a game and then keep playing it. Seems disingenuous somehow, but then again, I used to write professional reviews for various sites back when that meant something other than 'shill' or 'clickbait' so I guess I'm more inclined to a balanced approach. A gamer's review is likely to be more...emotive and momentary, focusing on the negative aspects the way a hammer finds the jutting nail.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Looks like the next 4 months will be mainly "polish" and smaller QoL features.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/424370/discussions/0/1744520688774147146/
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
The cash shop is the key part of the announcement. They rushed the game so hard so they can implement it and milk as much money as possible. I bet finishing the cash shop will be their priority numero uno. Get the money from the poor schmucks who still believe in them before even they leave.
Number of players keep dropping, from the most hardcore "YOU JUST HATE THE GAME BECAUSE IT'S BETTER THAN POE" to " I WANT A REFUND".

The potential is there, but the game itself is even after the latest patches,still an alpha release.

In a year or so, who knows? Maybe this will turn out to be a really good game, but the devs really need to work on it. D4 is in the works, not that I expect blizz to actually deliver,given that they sold themselves as whores to activision. But then again there is POE2, and wolcen will really have to keep the pace up,if it wants to attract people to play.
it's a fun mess. you encounter so many bugs during a single session that it's almost cute/funny.

the complexity comes from dodging bugs basically.

then you get disconnected 3 levels deep into an expedition and get no rewards :)
it's hilarious

*having fun but it definitely isnt competition for poe.
Last edited by teksuoPOE on Mar 3, 2020, 2:14:57 PM
Unfortunately it's not even close to be a competitor for POE,and that in my opinion is a bad thing. I truly hoped this would rise to it's true potential,but who knows....maybe in a year or so.

POE needs competition, it's not GGG as by this time they are as small as blizzard is in activision. This should be a message to Tencent,the actual giant making the rules,dictating what should happen next.

With no serious competition,this company will become the next blizzard,as it sold itself for money,and just like blizzard it will become an empty shell. If there is competition,that means that Tencent has to steer the ship in a better direction for us all,regardless if they like it or not,the market wants what the market wants.

Without it,expect some half assed bugfixes,but a ton of hideouts,sword effects,wings,portals,tons of mtx,but nothing more. As that is the thing that they will focus on,that they will make GGG focus on.
Last edited by Nosferat on Mar 3, 2020, 4:36:37 PM
"

I read your signature and laughed. What story is there after act 4? We become mutes ha
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
The cash shop is the key part of the announcement. They rushed the game so hard so they can implement it and milk as much money as possible. I bet finishing the cash shop will be their priority numero uno. Get the money from the poor schmucks who still believe in them before even they leave.

Either you didn't read the entire article/listen to the interview. That or you just interrupted what you wanted from it, which that's what we do as humans too so I can't really fault you on that. Anyways, they said they will have to put all of that on the back burner to get everything caught up. Of course if they do release the $$$ things first or much sooner than what they discussed that would end any trust that's left with the company.
"
ZACHWILDCAT wrote:
"

I read your signature and laughed. What story is there after act 4? We become mutes ha

I was chatting about it with a good friend Exile who finally farmed my sword, played acts 1 to 10 with it. I was reminded that, even now, it's the only fully voiced 'story arc'. A guest character, written by someone who wouldn't Wraeclast from Westeros for the most part. That's...yeah, sad!

Keep in mind that there is *plot* after act 4. Plot is 'things happening'. There's a lot of that. Story, however, is how characters react to things happening. There is absolutely none of that beyond the npcs, and even then they remain largely static or simply 'shifted around' in Part 2: Nessa's gone, Clarissa's off her rocker, Dialla's gone, etc.

I suggested to Chris they just do green text for Exile reactions for acts 5-10 (as they did for acts 1-2 before the voice acting); at least that way people would get some sense that their characters are reacting to these incredible world-changing events. That suggestion was years ago now. Years.

The only reason I got to do the full 10 act gig was because I was willing to go with a new voice actress. Logistics are a bitch. I absolutely preferred the first VA but the new one does the job (I think it's more down to voice direction than quality of acting when she does miss the mark).

Anyway, it's easy to take these things for granted, but any review that says Wolcen's voice acting is 'bad' is just piling on all the other problems. Wolcen's voice acting is at worst average, and frequently good. Edric and Val, in particular, have very accomplished voice actors. I do not imagine they came cheap.

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 3, 2020, 7:54:48 PM
^I think larian will easily tople on both graphics and voice acting.

And they will probably deliver without any of the more basic errors like fundamental code issues.

Not sure why you wouldn't take the hype of BG3 over wolcen hype considering what they have in store, my notion of you is that it will probably deliver a far better gameplay experience that you desire but maybe im off the mark.

I'm out on wolcen, gave me a good couple of hours but being unable to actually use the mechanics the game offers because of looping errors and what have you is a fundamental dealbreaker for me, i play these types of games to fiddle with interactions of passive trees, items and character creation.

So far for the flaws of PoE it still delivers extremely well on the character customization and mechanical interactions front compared to competitors.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info