3.9 - The Walking Dead Forbidden Build - Fast Fun

Based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoqRdlySoto
Permission to use as base granted by original author

I've tried to make the build practical instead of impractical fun.

Blurb
Spoiler

Step 1. Cut a hole in a box (Level up to being able to use the staff)

Step 2. Put poison in your boxing shoes (Walk around Poison igniting everything as you walk through laughing your way to the boss.)

Context:
Spoiler

After leveling 8 characters to over 70 this league, I found one that feels good for Legion. I didn't play legion so I didn't have any context.

Pro's & Con's
+ 100k walking shaper dps, 1.2mil attacking shaper dps
+ Super clear speed (Rares sometimes can be stubborn though)
+ 201% movement speed
+ 5k+ Life (194% increased)
+ Relatively cheap (5-6ex for staff and body armor)
+ Nearly full time flask up-time
+ Enemies are hindered (reduced movement speed) thanks to Withering Step
+ Lots of viable variations possible
+ Plenty of damage avoided since you still do decent dps just running around (great clearing dps, decent boss dps)
+ Running around near the boss, stacks poisons, making your hits harder (Vile Toxins)

- Not a league starter (Staff is from very high content, and rare)
- Cheap Version: 30% evade, 30% atk dodge, 14% block (Not a ton of defenses)
- Expensive Version: 50% evade, 30% atk dodge, 14% block, 5% phys, over capped Chaos resist (decent defense)
- Pretty tight gear slotting (resists, strength needs)
- Build doesn't really work decently until level 64 for staff.

Path of Building (PoB)
"

Just noticed these PoBs may have the main attack only 4L instead of 6L, damage boosts a lot by fixing it.
https://pastebin.com/f6WpznyC
Alternate: (More defense, more movement speed, more damage, lower life, capped chaos resists, more expensive)
https://pastebin.com/3ZnF7SXm

PoB Notes
Spoiler
3.9 Mine in PoB is my customized tree, 3.9 is the original from the video.
A few items are left in unused for dps comparisons and gearing ideas
There are 2 item sets (1 original, and 2 my customizations)

Mechanics
Spoiler

Only the Boots and Staff are required items. everything else is flavor/preference/recommendation. Although it will be tough without the fertile mind jewel.

As you walk the boots fire off little fire explosion spells. We scale the area of effect with Carcass Jack and some passive nodes. We scale the damage as physical with the Disintegrator staff. Please note, your damage jumps a bunch when you have Siphoning charges. These are created by using skills (which we do very little of normally). In most cases it feels nice to have, but if you want to buff up before hitting a boss, metamorph, or legion encounter, fire off a few attacks to get a charge (Default gear choices limit the charges to 1). You can either hold the shift key to attack in place or click the skill and make sure the box for Always Attack Without Moving is set.

The more monsters around a boss, the more poisons that will be stacked on them when the trash dies thanks to the Nature's Reprisal ascendancy from first lab. The fine print: you must have a flask effect going for this to take effect.

Before a boss and before I run into a pack, I pop Coralito's, Witchfire, Atziri's flasks. Then I hit withering step and run through them. Paying attention to my withering duration I keep running through packs. Circling back for any rares that may need more attention (Rarely happens, but rares will be rares I suppose).

Scaling mods (not exhaustive):
Chaos Damage Over Time Multiplier
Damage Over Time Multiplier
Physical Damage
Attack & Cast Speed (together is better as fury is a spell, and your attack is not)
Added Physical damage (Jewels)
Area Damage
Spell Damage (Fury damage and cwdt spells)
Attack Damage (Earthquake or whatever attack)

Pantheon
Spoiler

Soul of the Brine King (Getting stopped moving in a crowd can be deadly)
Yugul until Uber Lab is done, then switch to Ralakesh or Aberrath

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Head for Master Toxicist first, then to Master Alchemist. (Keep a freeze flask until you have Master Alchemist)

Leveling - Needs input
Spoiler

Nice to have leveling items (I go crazy for movement speed while leveling as much as possible)

Start with Caustic Arrow (and/or toxic rain) until you can get blade vortex. Then Run blade vortex up until 64.

Gem link possibilities (try different combinations and see what feels good, or link them in this order, as you are able)

Other leveling gems (if you can't fit them in links or mana reserve-wise, try to put them in something to level)

If this section is poor, I'm sorry. I leveled as Dark Pact Poison Mines and I failed to make it work. I switched over to this at level 70 and was so very happy.

Bandits
Spoiler

Alira to ease the resists burden and allow cheaper gear
Kill All if you are rich or don't need the resist help.

Jewels
Spoiler

You kinda need to have a Fertile Mind as this gives us around 90 needed intelligence.
Resists and life are most important
Phasing is VERY nice to have (less getting stuck in a pack if withering step wears off)

Chaos Mult is very good for dps. (jewel to show the one mod, the rest is coincidental)

Gear & Links
Spoiler

Crucial

This makes the build work. The staff is adding tons of damage to Aberrath's Fury

Since we're boosting spells and attacks with a ton of flat Physical Damage from the staff, we can make use of lots of CWDT to boost the number of poisons and clear more. (Optionally replace one of the spells with Steelskin, I'll be trying it soon)
20c
25-40c for special mods, not needed.
For Gloves you want (above is nice but not necessary)
Resists + Life
and if you can get it
+X% to Chaos Damage Over Time Multiplier (Can be pricy)
PoB claims this raises the Fury's Damage but I can't confirm:
x% Increased Attack and Cast Speed While Focussed

Helmet Recommendation
Life gained from damage taken (get the %of Damage taken gained stat as high as you can afford)

Good Amulet/Ring options to be aware of

You can get Spell Damage on the ring slot in some cases.

Bossing Boots (not tried yet, but good in theory) : CWDT steelskin on some nice life/defense boots. I'm going to try with these

Enchant
Spoiler

Amulet Anointment
Spoiler

Corruption is the cheapest and easiest option (granted you don't need a resists corrupted amulet)

Disciple of the Slaughter is a really good dps option if you don't have another source of frenzy charges. Frenzy Charges are not required but helpful. If you anoint it in PoB you have to manual turn on the Do you use Frenzy Charges option in Configuration

I have too much money and want to tank better option
Soul of Steel Very expensive, and very defensive.

Current Character

Variants
Spoiler

This build, in theory should also work well as an Assassin.
Blade Vortex scales very well as a swap in replacement for our attack(and helps us keep siphoning charges up)
You could, in theory, cwdt desecrate and use Bubonic Trail boots

Last edited by DevelopersDevelopersDevelopers on Feb 2, 2020, 11:33:50 AM
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2020, 2:18:06 PM
reserved
reserved
Hey this seems a nice build to play with, what about guardians, uber elder, bosses in general?... And what about die?... it´s a nice build to don´t die so much doing maps for example?...

You only reach level 79 on league... is this probably a fail?...
Last edited by Vyr75 on Feb 5, 2020, 12:53:48 PM
Failed? I decided to hop back on it and see how I felt about it. If you didn't see, I have a ton of characters. So it hasn't failed to be fun, it is doing lots of damage but could stand to do a little work on defenses. I just ran a couple of Delve nodes at level 79 with monsters at level 80 (depth ~139) and it was quite fun sprinting through things. I suppose if your goal is all content, then maybe it won't make it.
It's a build with a specific goal, and I think it's good for this doing goal: High density content like Legion.

It require a lot of combinations to work, but it does work to an extent. Not starter build, and not all around build, but something to farm legion for example? because farming legion this league was very rewarding!

I don't look forward to replicate it, but I'm keep an eye on it.

I do love that POE can have so many out of the box builds like this one..

Might revisit it in 3.10 because some of the new 280 nodes will surely help scale this build better!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info