Console - Patch Deployment Processes and Communication

Earlier this week, we deployed Patch 3.9.2b which happened to introduce a significant crash for Xbox One console users. We made a post to acknowledge the issue and let people know what to expect in terms of a fix. We received a lot of feedback in response to this and we are keen to talk about it.

Communication

We agree that we can improve our communication with the console community. While most of our news schedule is designed to apply to the Path of Exile community as a whole, we think it would help to have more posts regarding console updates. In addition to posting console-specific patch notes, we plan to let you know once we have submitted an update to Microsoft/Sony for review so that you'll have a better idea of when to expect them.

We have a team of developers who are passionate and dedicated to all things console and we all find it frustrating when things aren't working as well as they should. Our console producers and community team will be working more closely going forward to ensure that we are communicating as much as possible when an issue has been identified and on any other information that would be prudent to tell the community.

We'll be making a thread in the console announcement forum that will be dedicated to keeping you updated about console patch deployment. We'll use this to let you know when we've submitted a patch for review, when we expect it to be live and to confirm when a patch has been deployed. This enables us to keep you updated quickly and easily while ensuring that you'll always know where to find this information.

As a side note, we are keen to hear your thoughts on where we communicate. We have focused most of our communication attention on our news forums but we would like to hear from you whether there are other more convenient places that we could share this news as well.

Patch Deployment Processes

The process of deploying a patch on console is slightly different than deploying it on PC. It requires a separate, additional round of quality assurance testing and we are also required to give Microsoft/Sony enough time to review the update and either approve it or request changes. On PC we rely entirely on our internal team for checking and deploying patches so we can get them out quite quickly when needed. This means that console patches, by their nature, are generally slower to deploy than the PC ones. This also means that if a significant crash is introduced, like the one earlier this week, then we aren't able to easily revert the patch until it's fixed like we would for a PC update.
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
Nice to hear
"
Patrolek87 wrote:
Nice to hear

True words spoken by the last and only player to play on console.

Spoiler
I’m kidding!!! Just kidding!! ;)
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
This is a good start, but let’s be honest console isn’t in the best of shape lately. But if you’re serious about reaching out to more of your community outside of the forums,Reddit, and discord. There’s two different console path groups with 3000 members you’re missing out on entirely
While it is great to see a direct post for the console community about a concern for the console community, lack of knowledge on patch deployment is an annoyance, but not where things fail.

The most important failures with the console community exists in the area of performance and features. With the former being the obvious priority.

Path of Exile originated as a PC game. I get that. I was there. But with being there at the beginning also comes the memory of a console launch being in the plans long before many realize. I remember discussing the potential and probability of this back in beta days.

Not only did PoE launch for XBox, but later for a second console. And now we will also be ushering in a mobile client. I think it is time that platforms outside of PC start to get the same attention the PC community receives.

With each year it is becoming blatantly obvious that the internal idea is to spread to as many platforms as possible, but what is the point if those mediums become tired of seeing trade tools, guild structure, chat, tab pricing, etc... Only available to a single platform, and leave?

I do not mean to be a "whiner" in a post that should be good news for us, but what good is knowing exactly when a patch will hit, if we still struggle with performance to even play the game as intended?

A very large amount of builds on the PC platform go ignored on console simply because the machines can not handle it.

These are consoles. We do not have the option of just cutting new hardware to keep pace. If the game is going to be available on a specific platform, then the performance should be tested with that platform in mind.

Furthermore, GGG fails at communicating on their own forums as a whole. Most relevant and pointful information hits other spectrums before it does here, which is ridiculous. That amounts to the same as having my own custom car, but walking down to the neighbor's to bum a ride instead.

If GGG fails to utilize their own forums as most anyone would expect, why would expectations for a platform specific subforum be any different?

Communication is great. Accessibility, stability, enjoyment, and options are even better.

I am glad to see somebody at GGG finally say, "we can do better by them", but honestly, you (GGG) are missing the first few rungs of the ladder.
PC : SqueakyToyOfTerror
XB : R3SPAWN#7045
Discord : R3SPAWN
Last edited by R3SPAWN7045 on Jan 22, 2020, 8:20:55 PM
First get the main discord groups with bots, Avic(LogicalFuzz) and Exis from the anarchy server to set the bots up to follow this announcement channel. Ideally place it up to by the GGG(stalkier)
Get in those Facebook groups and start promoting your game on a staff account. I repost things from discord so the community knows what’s going on, that’s something an employee should do.

A lot of people I know recently quit over this last debacle, let’s win them back.
Come on, the team hopes that console players can enjoy better game quality.
I will 2nd everything Lame Lock said.

It was nice to see Bex post about the console issue when it happened, that was the first time I remember, in a long time, that A community manager contacted the console community.

As for reaching absolutely everyone, the best place is the Console Login screen in game. Put your detailed message there (if possible) and everyone will be notified. Otherwise you are going to be chasing several different Facebook and discord groups to post things.

About performance and features. Aside from the major crash issue, this last update has left the game feeling the best I can remember. Maybe because it was really bad for a long time, but it is noticeable improvement.

Going forward we all know there are new, powerful consoles coming at the end of the year. I know for me that is going to be the final test on whether or not PoE Console is a serious release, or an afterthought. In my opinion you HAVE to make that perform flawlessly. (As good as PC) Serious hardware limitations should be lifted. When you start working with the new tech, please inform the community and let us know how its going. If you can market your game as working very well with those new consoles, it might keep people around and/or bring people back.
I feel that a possible way to help promote the news posts etc. would be converting the event board to also have the news posts and other updates. Itd make the event board much more useful and could be made more noticable in towns.
All we need is lower graphics all the effects just make the game lag really hard

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info