arctic armor + reduced mana

hi,

these 2 skills dont seem to work together.
if i link them, i still get the supported icon but the drained mana is still the same.
is this a bug or is this intentionally ( its drained mana after all )

IGN: griefbringer, im_pa, shiek_ah
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I hope the fact Arctic Armor does not work with Reduced Mana support gem is just oversight and will be fixed quickly in small patch. I cant imagine a skill that drains so much mana that even the effect of Reduced Mana gem would barely make it bearable be the intended design.

I did not have luck to find the skill in those few minutes so I havent had a chance to play it. It seems this skill provides a minor flat damage reduction to melee and fire damage but the costs seems like it should grant % damage instead of flat damage reduction.

I would love to use this skill on my Blood Magic 2H melee duelist even if I'm already overloaded by required skills to the point I have to manually reassign skills to skill slots. I would hope my HP regen can cope with the life drain but the benefit is rather miniscule for melee characters, who in most cases can already deal just fine with small but frequent hits. Flat damage reduction would do jack all to big hits that are actually the problem.

I still would love to use it for farming low-end content but the life drain coupled with Blood Rage chaos damage will put heavy strain on my regen.

The skill is completely useless for mana users due to its extremely high mana costs while moving. I assume that degen effect can not be clicked off, similar to Bloodrage, which means you either pay crazy mana to move or wait on the spot for it to run off. Either option is bad.
Mind you my lvl82 range has 260 mana left after auras, all fine and dandy. I could use Arctic Armor but the costs are just draconic....
"
Baron01 wrote:
The skill is completely useless for mana users due to its extremely high mana costs while moving. I assume that degen effect can not be clicked off, similar to Bloodrage, which means you either pay crazy mana to move or wait on the spot for it to run off. Either option is bad.

You can turn it off by casting it again.
It has a 0.5 base cast time. It's very easy to turn it on to stop incoming damage (and make yourself _immune_ to voidbearers) then turn it off when you're done.

It's an awesome skill, but is completely against the meta. It rewards people that aren't using BM or as many auras as they can possibly pack onto their mana bulb, which is a disturbingly small number of players.
it for sure WONT work with blood magic ( its already been discussed in other threats )

thats why its "drains mana"
since you dont have any mana it will instantly turn off again
( would be a too strong skill since you get life regen easier than mana regen )

I'm not sure they are suppose to work together. RMC lowers the mana multiplier, i.e. the mana cost. Arctic armor is a mana burn, the skill itself costs 0 mana to activate.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
thx moosifer
that sound pretty logic
but maybe they should remove the supported skill icon then :D
There is no logic in Arctic Armor not working with Reduced Mana gem and/or Blood Magic.

Reduced mana applies coefficient lower than 1, therefore, lowering total costs of skill--you can argue this is only for the initial cost of skill but than you run into auras where it works with the reserved amount, which is clearly not the initial cost of the skill.

Now Bloodmagic is more controversial but again, the support gem description says the following:
"Spend Life instead of Mana for Supported Skills". Bloodmagic keystone is even more specific because it states in addition to the above that it "Removes all mana".

The game currently do not have "channeling" costs for skill but there are degen effects already implemented so the mechanic can not be completely out of the picture.

All in all, if it is supposed to be working with INT/mana users, the intention and design is very poor. % based auras are good example because they can be used with Bloodmagic but the drawback is just too big for anyone using Bloodmagic to cope with it. Arctic Armor is a skill that excludes Bloodmagic users completely and without remedy--no consideration of drawback vs benefit, the skill is just not usable.

I also wonder who is the targeted mana user because rangers can be right away removed from the options due to extremely low mana pool and extensive usage of auras. INT based spellcasters are an option but the selection is rather limited if you consider that there will be summoners and totem users that have literally no use for this skill. There are STR and STR/DEX based characters that will be struggling with mana most of the time, hence most charactes from this group pick Bloodmagic. What is left are end-game characters who often spec out of Bloodmagic, replace it by Bloodmagic support gem and load themselves with auras fuelled from mana pool. So who should be the user of this new skill?
**double post**
Last edited by Baron01 on Mar 20, 2013, 8:44:59 AM
this skill basicly fits into my build perfectly ;)

problem is i have 130 mana regen per sec and its not effected by reduced mana :(
and unlike aura,s i need 2 recast it every time i zone in . out ( pain in the ass )
@dragnar <<< ingame or pm me
Last edited by dragnar on Mar 20, 2013, 10:09:01 AM
I hope that Arctic Armour is intended to work with the Reduced Mana gem, I completely expected them to.

Any chance of (what I assume is) a fix and/or clarification?

*Pending impressive statement of some variety*
Last edited by copaceticus on Nov 27, 2013, 8:00:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info