Looking for some advice.... :D

Hey guys,

I know PoE's skill tree and builds can be as complex as quantum physics, but hoping i can get some input on if an idea for a character is doable, and tips on how to go about picking skill-tree paths to do it.

Planning to go Sword + bow (figured the 2nd weapon slot is there, may as well use it.)

Wanting to use both Dex + Magic skills with a few Mele ones. Totems + Elementals for pets, and sticking with medium? armor.

Fairly sure what im wanting to do is not going to be one of those "solo 600000 mobs in 1 second' type meta-builds, but thats fine :D i just wanna enjoy the game, not murderate 5 billion citters in 1 click :)

Im just currious if anyone can point me towards skill-tree paths to use that'll come close to the type of character im wanting to make. One that mixes Sward skills with Bow skills, but also can make use of spells. And have a little elemental tagging along for the fun of it ;)

Debating also trying to make use of Aurora's, but that may be asking for much with what i already want to do :D

Any tips?
Last bumped on Jan 13, 2020, 12:38:24 PM
As much as I hate to say it, it's practically impossible to spec into bow + sword in the current state of the game.

Anyway, people spec into skills more than certain weapons. You could try an Elemental hit build, it's the only (i think?) skill that works with both a bow and melee and it even is a little bit magical.

Auras by the way are an essential part of every build but are pretty unexciting.

I'd follow this guide:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2183938
and then add in a sword in weapon swap.
What the person above said, you should find 1 skill you really like for visuals and playstyle and make a build around it, it might use other complimentary skills but mostly of similar type.

"I wanna be everything" (melee and bow and spell and pet and totem) will probably end up with a build that doesn't do anything remotely well.

Weapon swaps are mostly utilized to swap between aoe and single target (boss) setup, not 2 completely different playstyles.

I'd say the order of picking stuff is mostly:
- which skill I like?
- what does this skill require to be effective? (weapon type, damage type: elemental / physical / chaos, secondary stats like crit, ailments, attack or cast speed, area damage, is the skill a channeling one or not)
- which class / ascendancy provides benefit to that skill / playstyle?
- what kind of defenses I can utilize on that build? (leech, damage reduction, evasion, dodge, block, etc.)

"Jack of all trades" doesn't really work well. Yes, Scion as a class can a potential to be anything, but not everything, and many more specialized ascendancies will perform better on builds synergizing with them, than that same build on a Scion.
Thanks for the info's :D

Like i said.. was just an idea in my head and didnt want to start up a charcter, then have skills all over the place, and end up stuck :D

Wonder if it'd be possible to just mix magic with swords/totems? (ie: have the totems manage the spells and such when able, and then focus on weapon skills?)
I am also new to the game and am having a lot of fun with this build:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077932

It uses a bow to inflict an area of effect chaos damage poison over time (Caustic Arrow), and totems to cast a curse on enemies. You might like it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info