3.9| DEADITOR |Elemental Hit w/ Ballista Totem Support| Use Any Gear! (Need a Big Investment Though)

Ah, got it now. I didn't understand how you could make EC from a LW :)
Mana and general lethality is ensured when mapping, thank to the combination of both Marks on mobs, but it do indeed is a problem when facing solo bosses (Barian or Ambrius, for example).

I can see why you use Grace now, and indeed it is paramount you get as much Evasion as possible. No use taking it down, and little use is to get reduction on mana reservation (little pool = little reservation = little mana "regained" from reserve reduction = little extra uses). Could Inspiration actually be of help? Based on Path of Building it is slightly better than Increased Critical Strikes or Increased Critical Damage but, then again, it could be my build is not so much crit-oriented. If colors are not a problem, I suggest to give it a try.

"
Saevan wrote:

Regarding the bow, I'm using a Quill Rain and I haven't found anything yet that beats it, based on the tool tip.

I actually found myself a Quill Rain and gave it a try instead of Death's Harp.
Good News: it actually raises DPS (14k to 17k) and, despite the -50% lessAtkSpd, it still manage to make ballistas fire like (stunted) machineguns. Also, the lost extra projectile(s) are not much of a problems, the skill is still keeping its clearspeed with little/medium groups even with only 2 arrows.
Bad News: singular hits deals almost no damage, thus making more difficult deliver effective elemental ailments (I used to freeze bosses on t10, with Quill Rain is almost impossible to do it now).

Overall: Quill Rain might be better against bosses/metamorph, but I feel like Death Harp gives a more smooth grinding experience when dealing with map's usual riff raff.

"
SamothD wrote:
In any case, thank you very much for all your suggestions - I really appreciate your input. :-)

No problem, it's good to talk again :)
Last edited by Maxtrux on Jan 3, 2020, 11:51:30 AM
"
Katalaeia wrote:
Spoiler
"
Ya, this build doesn't hit bosses very hard. Survivability is good but bosses are tough. This build is dependant on a good weapon to kill bosses quickly. I'll be updating that info in the guide in time now that I've hit maps and am seeing what the build is like.

I wound up rolling another character to try building something that doesn't feel so weak against bosses. This entire league is essentially a bossing league with the Metamorphs being such a heavy focus, and with how relatively weak Ballistas feel it might be the wrong league to try this build out.

If the weapon is such a major focus, maybe I just need a better explanation of what makes a good bow with regards to the EH skill? The build guide says "whatever bow you like" and that's obviously a way to [unintentionally!] severely restrict what your character can do, so it might be helpful to expand this section a bit.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on progression as you work your way into maps and face more Metamorphs. It's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious in how I play the character, so I'm not writing it off quite yet.
Cool Katalaeia!

Thanks for your honesty. I'm just getting into Yellow maps as my normal drops now so I'll post a global post once I'm in T12 or 13.
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
Spoiler
I was using lmp through majority of my playthrough, swapping to faster attacks only for conquerors, at tier 11 maps i swapped permamently to faster attacks to get a little more dmg, I've reached tier ~12 maps (2/3 watchstones for area) when I hit 24 challenges.
Was thinking about getting 6l thicket elder (or simply 6l thicket ilvl 86+ or harbinger bow) and fossil craft serrated+prismatic (or just prismatic) to get +1 to arrow on bow (or quiver, so lmp would be pointless) or +2 to bow gems/+1 to gems. Which made me wondering - why not using lv 4 empower as 6th link?
Also - ele reflects maps are possible, its just that ballistas die after 1 hit, but we put lots of them anyway.
I dont understand how you can run blood rage on that build. I cant imagine spamming life flasks just to sustain that skill.
Hey Devaryth!

Ya! Nothing wrong with a level 4 Empower at all. I write my guides so that people are able to get the suggested gems and such as they play SSF. But it doesn't mean that there aren't better gems out there. If you have it, go for it!

Blood Rage doesn't eat as much life as people think...but obviously it does eat life in a build that doesn't leech or have life regen. You could always switch the Golem in the build to the Stone Golem to make up for it. I'm currently playing without it. But I'm thinking of adding it in for my next decent long session and giving it one last chance. But like it's mentioned, it's optional, so I hope people have seen that part.

Thanks for the post. Good luck with your crafting.

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
Last edited by Wrecker_of_Days on Jan 3, 2020, 1:38:16 PM
"
Aeris85 wrote:
"
Katalaeia wrote:
If the weapon is such a major focus, maybe I just need a better explanation of what makes a good bow with regards to the EH skill? The build guide says "whatever bow you like" and that's obviously a way to [unintentionally!] severely restrict what your character can do, so it might be helpful to expand this section a bit.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on progression as you work your way into maps and face more Metamorphs. It's entirely possible I'm missing something obvious in how I play the character, so I'm not writing it off quite yet.

On Page 8 or so, Wrecker of Days wrote that crit chance, attack speed + general damage is most important on the bow.
I think I did the mistake for example that I looked for + purchased a bow that has +x damage to fire + lightning + cold damage. While the flat damage is nice so the percentages yield more, it only boosts every 3rd attack. While general +damage, crit chance + attack speed would yield better results!
Thanks Aeris85!

Good points.

To Everyone:

The guide states in the gear section that:

"EH benefits from:
- Increased Elemental Damage
- Increased Crit Chance
- Increased Crit Damage
- Increases to Damage
- Increases to Area Damage
- Increases to Attack Speed
- Penetrating Elemental Resists"

So if people's bows don't have any of those mods, they'll be hitting pretty weak. For those that are used to Minion or Spell builds, the value of a weapon will be a surprise when playing an Attack build. So with that being said, and of course the comments of this thread, I'll likely be changing the gear sections of my Attack guides (Trigger Happy, Deaditor, and Dodging Cyclone) to better-set expectations of those used to other builds.

"Use any bow you want" doesn't mean you can clear the atlas with a white bow. It just means you can you any good bow you find/craft. It doesn't need a specific unique or fancy mod to be successful.

This isn't the hardest build though. I get that. I build for defence first. I'm making good progress in the game now and will be able to see how harsh 3.9's changes to this build have been.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Annnnnd

"
Aeris85 wrote:
Spoiler
Oh yes, I'm totally on your side, the section about what gear to use could be much more precise!!

Different topic:
Shouldn't Ancestral Call Support work with Elemental Hit - instead of Ballista Totem Support?
I just tested it, it does NOT seem to attack +2 nearby enemies... though AC does require a melee strike skill, and Elemental Hit has melee + strike in its tags... ?? And the tooltip also says it should work.

My build before was a Frostblades Ranger, with a Claw. And with that, it was specifically very visible that you could even hit enemies behind you, because the +2 nearby enemies chosen by Ancestral Call could just stand behind you. And I don't see that with Elemental Hit when testing a few mob groups.

UPDATE:
I have changed the build now a little, or better: added sth else to it. I kept the Elemental Hit Totem the same.
But on top, I now have a 4L:

Elemental Hit - Mirage Archer Support - Ancestral Call Support - EDWAS

And this I shoot manually on my own. I thought I need more damage output, but why not the same just manually? And then I thought the Mirage Archer is nice anyway, because it also shoots on its own. And trying out the Ancestral Call as mentioned above...

I just don't use Arctic Armour anymore, because that would be too much Mana reserved. Placing the Totems + shooting the EH on my own costs that much Mana.

=> That all sounded super nice. But I don't feel that much of an improvement... I mean, I don't have the new gems leveled that high, okay. But still, I thought it would be 2x better right off the bat.
I am still dying pretty quickly, and I have only reached T3-4 Maps...
Did you see the posted example video? Was it helpful in terms of playstyle? Once my guides slow down a bit with posts, I'll make sure to add a section on gameplay expectations in regards to movement and totem life.

Annnnnd

"
kumere wrote:
Spoiler
my League starter trying this build reached T5 maps in SSF viable manner
playing since late 3.7 and came across your guide in 3.8

I am not complaining, but offering my take/ ideas for people having troubles

I had some Issues and still have..
Balistas are slow and have narrow range and my char is still squishy ( almost 4k now)
I changed EH - Ballista to a 3 link EDwEA to clean up the trash/ for safely progressing, the damage is sufficient to kill leftovers.

but my main damage source is my 6L bow EH- EDwEA- Lesser Multi Proj.- CritDmg - CritChance- Mirage Archer.

The attack speed and range are better clearing and bossing seem faster, even surface abyss and delve seem easier to me, there is some kind of control what goes down first and the totems and mirage grant some extra damage and safety

while coloring/ crafting i also tried to get MORE (Damage on Full Life support did not work well, but Inspiration felt pretty nice)

so I think its not wrong to say it is your 3.8 build with a 2nd button

I do know that my gear is a mess (why else would i craft 10 lightning res on my bow that already rolled +2 to bow skills 3 times in ~ 40 chaos and i had to ditch it..) and I Do know that I skipped Life nodes.
Still working on last trial too

Thanks for the update kumere!

I agree Ballistas are really weak. The narrow range improves a lot when you get your Deadeye ascendancy. It improves even more with a quiver that adds an extra projectile.

I like your EH links. I like seeing what people change. How's the progress been?

Annnnnd

"
nbminh35595 wrote:
We have multiple Totems and each one will shot a different element, so how will it affect EE?
Hey nbminh35595!

The totems don't fire at the same time. Out of your 4 totems, you may occasionally get a "one/two" sequence that fires the same element 2x in a row, but it'll get overridden instantly. Each Ballista attacks and chooses it's element independently. So EE will have the positive benefits active 99% of the time. Does that make sense?

Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Annnnnd

"
DoJoMa wrote:
Noob here:

if i have added "elemnetal damage" to gear- Lets say Lightning damage- would Elemental Hit hit the target with Lightning AND the elemment it chooses?
(Or if i use Storm Cloud bow- which does lightning damage, would EH hit with it chosen element and my bow would do lighning damage, right?)

How does this affect elemental equilibrium? What element would EE choose to give minus resistance to if hit by 2 elements at the same time?
?

Hope you can understand what im asking. im a little confused.
Hey DoJoMa!

Good question and be sure to ask anything you like :).

So first off, EH itself has a rule in the gem description:

"Only Deals Damage of the chosen Element
Deals no Damage of other Damage Types"

So as an example, if you have any ADDED lightning damage of an element, it'll only add lightning damage when EH chooses to attack with lightning, not when it chooses fire or cold.

So there is nothing you can do with your build that can screw up EE and EH...unless you are using a second skill where YOU are inflicting elements.

Now, if two of your Ballistas are firing at the exact same time and hit with two different elements, EE would only give a benefit to the elemental that the enemy wasn't hit with. But it's almost a moot point because a split second later, one of the other totems will hit with an element and refresh EE.

Does that help? Let me know if it doesn't.

Annnnnd

"
Maxtrux wrote:
Spoiler
Hello everyone, and happy new year.

This is my first post in this forum which is not of the kind "placeholder for Acquisition" or "thank you for carrying my sorry gameset and patethic excuse of a character in my way for achieving the 36th challenge before a 1-2 month vacation before next league". Admittedly, I've not experienced this feeling since 2008, and didn't expect to feel it again.

I wish to give some general suggestion both on equipment, support gems and extra skills that I feel have been skimmed for the sake of critting or for following the "1-button" theme. While they could not be the best course of action, I think could help a lad getting through in case of unfortunate socket colours. I'll try to help the tl:dr; nature of the post and put in spoiler a bit of history both of me and the character, which is secondary to the purpose of this post.

Equip

- Bow: since EH does not scale with bow, I'm a bit surprised to see no one has suggested Death's Harp/Opus so far. The 100% critMulti and 30-50% critChance comes pretty soon in game and should help until you get a Shaped- or Influenced- alternative.
- Quiver: Yes, Skirmish is rather good. More Ballistas = more damage sources = more DPS against bosses. However, even to my surprise, Hyrri's Demise came up as a good alternative, with the extra damage offered compensating the loss of a ballista. It made me think to what a Doomfletch's Prism could do for this build but, then again, the idea is having a skill that doesn't use the basic weapon damage to live on
- Helmet: I am currently exploring Flamesight as a way to get even more damage, both with the +x% eleDamage it offers and the Scorch. While there is a downside in sacrificing Ignition (do remember, though, that Scorch is an Elemental Ailment and will get the +10% moreDamage and 80% moreAoE from EH if a fire damage scorches a scorched enemy), I am intrigued to see what it could do for red-tiers.

Skills

- Frost Bomb. I don't know you, but metamorphs with Extra life, life regen and allies regen life regenerated more quickly than my DPS could chip off. Then this skill came, and they become way less godly. The skill also provides a Cold Exposition (thus easier to chill/freeze), and EE is not bothered too much from the cold damage of the skill
- Wave of Conviction. Rather than Blasphemy curse, I went for Skill-COH-Curse. Wave would provide both a proccer of ProjWeakness (+x% Damage taken > -% Resistance) AND an Exposure to Lighting and/or Fire, depending on the roll it. Combining it with Frost Bomb exposure, it's basically like having an (extra) eleWeakness on the opponent

Support
(for EH)

- Hypothermia: just because it doesn't affect tooltip doesn't mean it is useless. Our EH would most likely always chill the opponent (by nature or crit), thus the +40% MORE damage against these enemies would most likely always activate. Also combo well with +x% damage against Chilled enemies that Incursion gloves or Cameria enchantment could give. Furthermore, the "freeze-the-chilled" helps in blocking Rare in high tier and sometimes even freeze bosses in low-mid tier, depending on the damage

- Inspiration: good olde Reduced Mana was revamped with the Inspiration Charges mechanics. With this on, ballistas would cost around 15-30 mana per placing, and with the quick placement speed (0.3 base) of ballistas, it takes literally 2 seconds to get the 5 Charges on. In exchange we get 40% incCrit and, most important, 35% moreDamage in a Red gem

Spoiler
I'm around here since late Torment league, had my fun in Darkshrine, awed at Legacy, ditched the reason I joined the game in the first place at Talisman, and so on. My last "funny" build was a HS Juggernaut MartyrOfInnocence at Bestiary and was... less than optimal. This build popped after my last resort to "Follow the meta of the league before they cripple it in the next" failed and my Artillery Ballista Totem sought another way to carry on. Then this build came.

EH covers the proverbial gap between melee and mages as in it is the only skill that doesn't scale with Weapon Physical Damage, thus not forcing your char to get a T1 roll on %phys or, at least, get a decent Incursion weapon to get red. Thus, I liked it for its SSF-friendly traits and chose to give it a go with this build.

I've followed the main idea of the build, but changed my approach on the offensive. I usually don't focus too much on crit unless the build always crits (easier to do now even without a Trypanon) or is at least capable of getting Power Charges. Rather, I balance myself in a combination of crit chance and "More" damage. Major changes includes:
> Hierophant ascendancy rather than Inquisitor. This was done for the +1 totem and the little MoM it offers. The build does not focus on mana (1000 if we do not include Precision and clarity reserve), but focused with the 5.5k life pool it usually managed to save my grits from an occasional boss slam that me (or my 30MB connection) didn't manage to dodge
> Inquisitor over Shadow: sacrifices Crit in exchange of Life, generic elemental and totem damage.

I've run pretty much good with my 6-7 EH Ballistas, and feel the need of getting critty again only now at T14 and the stubborn Awakened Drox that doesn't want to die like it did the last 2 times. Until then, levelling was overall good until 80, got challenging progressively until 88, in which I followed my usual approach "Reach 60% experience in the T6-T10 comfort zone , then Delve until levelup". I am also considering lately to get back to Acrobatics rather than Iron Reflexes, unless I actually find some decent Evasion equipment on

Awesome Maxtrux!

Great suggestions all around for both gems and gear. I'm sorry my response is so short but you have a good read there! I hope everyone noticed it and took the time to read it. Thank you!

You mentioned you don't post much (so again, thanks for taking the time to post here) but I'm curious how you are progressing with the build?

Annnnnd

"
Maxtrux wrote:
Actually, I forgot to say one downside to use Scorch rather than Ignition. This guide had doubts about Blood Rage interaction with totem. Much has been discussed, but not about the Frenzy Charge on Kill.

I remembered now I levelled up with a Blood Dance, and sure enough sometimes I did gain some charges. It took me a while to realize, but apparently deaths by Ignite DoT are awarded as of being made by the player rather than the totem. So yes, technically speaking you could get the on-Kill bonus even with a totem build like this, but mostly it depends on how much you rely on the Fire part of EH. Of course, with Scorch this is no longer possibile.
Maybe an AoF version, or one that uses Combustion (which compensate EE bonus turning it in a +6% fireRes rather than a +25%) could work better, but AoF and EE are two different builds altogether.

I wonder if this onKill mechanic is still valid in case of Ancestral Bond. This is absolutely not my first totem build, but most of the time it was an Arc Totem, and didn't pay much attention during my Synthesis' Divine Ire Totem Elementalist Witch if it procced.
Good points again!

The on-kill mechanics that go to totems are only partially valuable with this build. As I haven't invested in any totems life or resists, we replace our totems quite frequently. So my suggestion is that if anyone focuses on totems and charges, keep in mind how frequently the totems get replaced.

Annnnnd

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info