Windows 10 + Steam + PoE = Windows freeze

My Windows will freeze about 15 seconds after I try to update PoE.

I have PoE installed via Steam.

At first I thought it was an issue with my Steam client but after reinstalling Steam client, same thing.

I have other games on Steam and when I reinstalled the other games, Windows 10 is not freezing. Tried reinstalling PoE (tried both using existing folder as well as fresh copy), my Windows 10 will start to freeze after about 15 seconds. Mouse stops moving. Keyboard keys all don't work. I need to then force laptop to restart by holding down power button.

Started about a month back. But somehow, it just fixed itself. Today, I cannot get PoE to update and launch.

I really don't know what else I should try..
Last bumped on Nov 18, 2019, 2:05:07 AM
"
mydragoon wrote:
My Windows will freeze about 15 seconds after I try to update PoE.

I have PoE installed via Steam.

At first I thought it was an issue with my Steam client but after reinstalling Steam client, same thing.

I have other games on Steam and when I reinstalled the other games, Windows 10 is not freezing. Tried reinstalling PoE (tried both using existing folder as well as fresh copy), my Windows 10 will start to freeze after about 15 seconds. Mouse stops moving. Keyboard keys all don't work. I need to then force laptop to restart by holding down power button.

Started about a month back. But somehow, it just fixed itself. Today, I cannot get PoE to update and launch.

I really don't know what else I should try..

Try using the stand-alone client and see if that has the same problems.
You can do this by following this guide from GGG -->

If you created your Path of Exile account via Steam, it will not have an associated email address on our end.

If you would like to add an email address to your Steam Path of Exile account so you may use the stand-alone client, you should be able to do so by logging into our website using the green 'Sign in through STEAM' button on our login page, then navigating to the 'change email' page here: https://www.pathofexile.com/my-account/change-email and proceeding to change the email on your account to the email you would like to sign in with on the stand-alone client for Path of Exile.
You could check windows event viewer as well. If windows encounters any issues, it usually show up there and you can pinpoint what's wrong. (right click windows start button and click event viewer, then go to windows logs and look through the different options, look for an event that happened at the time windows froze).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"
HanSoloDK wrote:

If you created your Path of Exile account via Steam, it will not have an associated email address on our end.

If you would like to add an email address to your Steam Path of Exile account so you may use the stand-alone client, you should be able to do so by logging into our website using the green 'Sign in through STEAM' button on our login page, then navigating to the 'change email' page here: https://www.pathofexile.com/my-account/change-email and proceeding to change the email on your account to the email you would like to sign in with on the stand-alone client for Path of Exile.

thanks. yeah, this is something i wanted to find out if possible. great to see you have shared the steps. will check it out later this week when i find time to play.

BTW, if i add a login email, what happens to my link to Steam? will it still work -- as in, can i still login to Steam (at a later stage)?
"
CrazylikE wrote:
You could check windows event viewer as well. If windows encounters any issues, it usually show up there and you can pinpoint what's wrong. (right click windows start button and click event viewer, then go to windows logs and look through the different options, look for an event that happened at the time windows froze).

i checked the Event Viewer a few times but could not find anything that seems to indicate the cause. but since i ended up forcing my laptop to reboot so many times, i kinda got worried and didn't try further (had to force like almost 10 shutdown and at one stage, gave me Windows blue screen).

i've stopped Steam from loading (and updating PoE for now).

will probably try Standalone version and see what happens.
"
mydragoon wrote:
"
HanSoloDK wrote:

thanks. yeah, this is something i wanted to find out if possible. great to see you have shared the steps. will check it out later this week when i find time to play.

BTW, if i add a login email, what happens to my link to Steam? will it still work -- as in, can i still login to Steam (at a later stage)?

If you follow the guide correctly, then you will be able to use both clients.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info