Struggling to find an enjoyable build

I'm hoping to get help finding a build for me, and if this is the wrong place to post this I apologise.

I really want to enjoy PoE, but I've always found it difficult to find a build that I enjoy. I tend to get part-way through leveling and just lose interest.

I'm coming from Diablo 3, and I see the appeal in the customisation, skills and loot, but in D3 I found myself gravitating towards the Monk with dashes, strikes and using much more of the quick-moving tanking & supporting elements.

And I've been struggling to find anything similar with regards to the same level of mobility or lending support & survivability to others. The majority of builds I find lean towards solo play and hardcore.

I want to enjoy PoE, but with the commitment to a build & struggling to find something that fits it's been a challenge.

Any help that you might provide is greatly appreciated
Last bumped on Dec 24, 2019, 10:08:02 AM
No part of PoE (content or skills) is designed for party play to that extent. Hence there are no skills to that description. (Monk was my favorite in D3 early days too!)

Aside from making some synergy (Auras/debuffs, etc) with consistent party members, there really isn't anything like that here.
Anything with similar style of play in the least then, even if it's without the support elements?
Mjolner cyclone/ball lightning mana guardian is pretty fun, and it is super tanky so you don't really die to anything either!
It´s been a while I have played monk but what about
Charged Dash skill?
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Charged_Dash

Assassin class maybe and profiting from elusive buff
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elusive
You could use Whirling Blades as a movement skill just for a bit more of that "dashing" :D That requires you to use Claws, Daggers or one-handed Swords, though.
It really depends on what part of monk you liked, but things like 7SS and EP can be somewhat replicated in poe with skills and items (Flicker strike & Impulsa's broken heart for those two.)

As for speed, you don't tend to go fast pre maps unless you have levelling gear, but PoE is pretty much renowned for its intense speed on most endgame builds. So I would suggest sticking with a build all the way to at least yellow tier maps so you can get a feel for how the endgame is.

That said, there's nothing in PoE that even comes close to matching the raw mobility power of dashing strike, so don't get your hopes up too much, but functionally flame dash is the closest you'll get to it in terms of feel. Don't bother with charged dash, it's something completely different.

Also, there's no real "Middle ground build" in PoE where you can be a semi support but still dishing out damage. I mean theoretically one could exist, but there's no need for it when doing so probably gimps the damage of the people you are supporting enough for it not to matter. It's obviously an issue in D3 because in high tier grifts you simply cannot rely on the damage of just three people (Ignoring necro cheese here for a minute), so a support build must also dish out dps to even be considered useful. Don't take aurabots in PoE for granted though, they can be as technical to build, play, and survive on as you want or don't want. (The one i'm playing this league has 8 active skills to manage as well as playing twister with my flasks to time soul ripper correctly.)

All in all though, try flicker strike (Raider or slayer). It feel functionally very similar to 7SS, and is always fun to play. Recent changes made it viable as a levelling skill as well so there's that to consider. Also don't be afraid to try out an aurabot when you feel a bit more comfortable with the game! They are a bit tricky to level and gear, but there's no better type of build for getting into party play if that's your thing.

Good luck, and I hope you end up sticking with PoE. It's a wild ride at first, but really is fun once you get a grip on it :)
Souls along a conduit of blood, from one vessel to the next.
Thanks for everyone who responded. I ended up joining with the new season, and have been playing a summoner build just to get to end game as suggested, and it's been a blast.

When I've got some more experience I'll see about trying out some of the builds mentioned here.
Yes

Starting the process of forgetting d3 ever existed

You've found a better place
There are no fun/enjobale builds. There are efficient speed farming builds. You one shot and move next pack without enjoyment. This is a wrong game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info