Whose play experience is improved by having to do all six Uber Lab Trials?

I'm genuinely curious if anyone's play experience is actually improved by needing to do the uber-lab trials. I get that perhaps gating entry by the Offerings makes sense to prevent people from spamming the lab for free (although Offerings are hardly expensive) but why force everyone to do the trials to unlock the place every league?

So: whose play experience is improved by having to do the trials? I suspect it's "nobody's" (it's certainly not mine!) but if anyone genuinely thinks they improve the game I'd be happy to hear about it as maybe it would help me to understand!

---

P.s. For some background: I'm a long-time but not professional player and I usually play a couple of hundred hours per league. In Blight I decided not to just use chat to find the trials, but to get them all myself and absurdly I have never got the 6th trial. I have only played one character this league, but he is 94, has Uber-Elder down (fortunately the uber lab points would make relatively small difference for the Freezing Pulse totems build I'm playing) and over 95% map completion and it just seems daft to me that I haven't got all 6 trials. I've even purposefully taken Zana maps with trials in them to increase the odds!
Last bumped on Nov 16, 2019, 5:41:14 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The Dream Trial prophecy can be used to help discover trials in maps. I always use prophecies (spam rate) and I always get sooner or later all trials...
GGG loves to gate content behind RNG.
If you think trial suck. Then never try anything beyond...
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
Not all things in the game need to be given to the player for free. I kinda wish there were more long objectives that could be completed to increase the strength of a certain character. I also think it would be GOOD for the game for each character to have to do all 6 trails and trials when leveling. But this is just me.

I also think it would be good if the RNG factor of the uber trials could somehow be removed.
not mine for sure.. at least you only have to do them once.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
I still hate the lab, stops me from making alts
Well, for one thing it feels good to find one of the missing trials in a map.

It feels like a bit of a bummer to find one that already has been completed without having the access to uber lab yet though, but it still gives extra mobs ( mostly irrelevant given the speed of the game now ) and an offering too, so ...
Thinking about it, I think that the current speed of the game does not help the trials to be liked lol.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
I think having those final 2 ascendancy points to work for when you reach maps does indeed improve my experience.

I sympathize with those who don’t like traps, though. They are really very different from the rest of the game and the classes being gated behind those rather than normal trials-by-combat remains odd.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
It's funny this thread should pop up today.

I ran across a trial earlier today while running maps. I forget exactly which one; they're all about equally boring anyways.

What I do remember is getting partway through, looking at all the traps moving around, thinking "What an arbitrary, boring, and insipid way to try to make an ARPG challenging" and I realized I wasn't having any fun. So, I logged off on the spot and did something interesting instead.

To me the feeling was like finding something rotten partway through eating what was otherwise a reasonably enjoyable meal; it spoiled the experience, all on it's own, despite making up probably only about 5% of the time I spent on that play session.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 14, 2019, 9:52:47 PM
Its time to scrap those trials honestly

They are just there to accidently click on them while mapping
Need more brains, exile?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info