Herald of Thunder and Shock

I just read that Crits always causes Shock if you deal 10% of the enemies life in one hit.

But Herald of Thunder says "cannot inflict shock"
Is that only regarding to the skill itself, or my character in general?

can i inflict shock with active Herald of Thunder?

and is there a way to actually see if i inflict shock on a boss?

edit:
my tooltip says chance to freeze 3%
but neither chance to ignite or to shock

Im bad at math.
Last edited by LoTharios on Nov 9, 2019, 3:31:10 AM
Last bumped on Nov 9, 2019, 3:53:16 PM
"
LoTharios wrote:
I just read that Crits always causes Shock if you deal 10% of the enemies life in one hit.

Not all crits just crits that deal lightning damage (unless using special items)
10% hit is required for maximum effect of shock (without any other modifiers)
Read here:
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock

"
LoTharios wrote:

But Herald of Thunder says "cannot inflict shock"
Is that only regarding to the skill itself, or my character in general?
can i inflict shock with active Herald of Thunder?

You can still apply shock (if conditions are met).
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Herald_of_Thunder
ok
if "Whenever you kill a shocked enemy, it will activate an effect where lightning bolts strike nearby enemies for a duration."
means i inflict shock id did it all the time.

This game is overconfusing
I just equipped a 5% chance to shock gem and then the tooltip stated 5% chance to shock.
But i had chance to shock all the time.
I just dont know how high it is.

This is anything else but not intuitive.
No wonder why many people prefer Diablo over this secret keeping game
It is just not possible for a casual gamer without the time to read hours of topics to fully understand this game

Im bad at math.
"
LoTharios wrote:
This game is overconfusing
I just equipped a 5% chance to shock gem and then the tooltip stated 5% chance to shock.
But i had chance to shock all the time.
I just dont know how high it is.

Tooltip can´t show conditional effects such as chance to shock based on crit (before an actual hit is done).
Critical hit has 100% chance to shock (depending on your chance to crit and damage dealt).
Chance to shock modifier is calculated independently.

Herald of thunder has nothing to do with your chance to apply shock.

Btw I see only your Ascendant deals small amount of lightning damage therefore shock will have minimum effect (if any).
Last edited by Rakiii on Nov 9, 2019, 5:52:09 AM
Unless you have items that change what damage types can inflict shock, hits with lightning damage can have a chance to inflict shock, and critical hits with lightning damage have a default chance of 100% to inflict shock.

So if you have a critical hit with e.g. Arc, then the enemy will be shocked (provided that hit damages the enemy for enough to meet the minimum shock value).

If you use Herald of Thunder, then all spells and attacks that can deal lightning damage will have some added lightning damage, which can theoretically shock (if the above conditions are met).

If you kill a shocked enemy, the Herald of Thunder will then grant you an additional buff that damages enemies near you. This damage CANNOT shock under any circumstances, even if you switch damage types with special uniques etc..

All other sources of shock are unaffected by this modifier on Herald of Thunder.
"
LoTharios wrote:

This is anything else but not intuitive.
No wonder why many people prefer Diablo over this secret keeping game
It is just not possible for a casual gamer without the time to read hours of topics to fully understand this game

I guess they should release a thousand page manual describing all the possible interactions.. You would happily read and understand it while installing the game I suppose

Or perhaps they should put long detailed descriptions everywhere in game, that would certainly help new players to feel less confused and overwhelmed
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Nov 9, 2019, 6:36:42 AM
"
Btw I see only your Ascendant deals small amount of lightning damage therefore shock will have minimum effect (if any).

i dont get it... tooltip states lightning is my main damage:

phys 96-231
fire 610-1046
cold 223-366
lightning 599-9570
chaos 23-45

and the activated Shock calculation in PoB gives me a big dps boost

crit chance 61%
Im bad at math.
Ok I have overlooked some source of lightning damage but you´re mixing all elements which lowers your shock potential.
You will probably one shot trash mobs without shock effect anyway but not bosses.
PoB shows only maximum shock potential.
You need to deal damage of 10% of monster´s life in one hit (without shock effectiveness modifier) which is hard to achieve vs targets with huge life (bosses).
Last edited by Rakiii on Nov 9, 2019, 3:53:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info