[3.9] Elementalist Dual-Shimmeron Spell caster-Lightning/Fire/Cold Pick Your Spell-Rdy for 3.9!!!

This build guide provides you with a general and modular platform for elemental spell caster builds. Essentially, you can insert your elemental spells in here, tweak a bit and it will work

This build is a follow-up to my previous build:https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2666929

(I am a chemist, so yeah...this is what I come up with)

3.9 Changes
Spoiler

Overall, insignificant changes. Elementalist with golemancer ascendancy is still a god. The build is fully viable and ready for 3.9.

Specifically:

1. Inspiration was nerfed a bit but the effect is insignificant.
2. Orb of storm and onslaught support were also nerfed, but the leveling should still be very smooth.
3. None of the core uniques received changes.
4. Rare wands were buffed due to the increase in Spell Damage modifiers as well as added flat damage to spells, making this build even more favorable as a league starter when Shimmerons aren't quite available.
5. On the other hand, the "Elemental Damage added as extra Chaos Damage modifiers" has been significantly nerfed (halved), making rare wands less optimal as endgame weapons. Comparatively, our Shimmerons are stronger than ever!
6. The lower tier Reduced Reflected Physical and Elemental Damage Taken modifiers on Body Armours now grants 100% reduced Reflected Elemental or Physical Damage taken. This provides an easy solution to ele reflect maps.
7. Looks like all bosses are buffed as a result of power-creeping from past leagues. Also endgame boss encounters are RARER, which means we need to kill them when we see them. No problems, as storm brands are one of the best boss killing skills in POE.
8. We are off-meta (again). This means cheap gear/fossil, fast progression, and MORE CURRENCY.
9. Speaking from experience, no matter how strong melee or bow builds look, spell casters will ALWAYS BE JUST AS STRONG, if not stronger.

Game play videos (Storm Brand version)
Spoiler

T16 Hydra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM8Jk7pgjmw&feature=youtu.be
(Thanks to FairgravesCanSuckIt)

T16 Elder Glacier (with Headhunter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyHtu2LtGKs&feature=youtu.be
(Thanks to FairgravesCanSuckIt)

Change log
Spoiler

11/2/19: Build guide posted

Intro (Please read this first)
Spoiler

How can this build be used for any of the 3 elements?

In short, because it is a crit-based build. Being an elementalist, we can equally scale all elemental damage. With minimal tweak of skill tree/gear, we can use pretty much whatever elemental spell we want.

Core Build Mechanics?

1. We dual wield Shimmerons and use 6 power charges to give all skills +3.6% crit chance, +120% crit multi, and tons of flat lightning damage.

2. To combat the degen (-600 life/sec) from Shimmerons, we use stone golem and scale the heck out of golem buff effect for being a Elementalists. We use primordial chain, anima stone and two others primordial jewels to get 9 golems total, and > %500 effect of buff granted by golems.

3. With the ascendancy "Mastermind of Discord" we get 25% reduced mana reservation for heralds. This means we can use two herald skills plus another aura without significant mana issue.

Contents I have done with this build
Spoiler

All guardians deathless
Uber Elder deathless
Delve 250+ (Can definitely go deeper)
T14 Blighted Maps (So easy, brand skills are perfect for this league mechanic)

Pro's & Con's
Spoiler

+ Budget Friendly (3-4 ex to get started, ~15 ex to min-max)
+ "Insert your spell" type of build.
+ Fast and satisfying clear
+ 2-3 M Shaper DPS with Storm brand/Arc/Spark, or Fireball, or Winter orb
+ Immune to elemental aliments
+ >30 % physical damage reduction (Chaos golem)
+ 39 % chance to block spell hits (dual Shimmerons)

- Golems die occasionally to Leagion rares/Minotaur. Kill them before they kill you.
- 7-8 K eHP, not the highest, but high phys damage reduction and spell block makes it a pretty beefy build.
- No ele-reflect map
- No regen/60% less recovery map can be annoying but doable with Cinderswallow Urn

Gearing
Spoiler

An example Gear
Spoiler

Core Uniques
Spoiler

Note: Get +10% to Critical Strike Multiplier per Power Charge on both Shimmerons. They are very cheap. Get Low rolls on less life for Golems on primordial chain.

Helmet
Spoiler

Note: A rare helmet with the enchant you want for your main spell. Then just craft it with fossil to get good life/ES/Resist. This one shown here is for a semi-autobomber set up, if you are playing a lightning spell it is highly recommended to squeeze this mechanic in. It just feels amazing.

Unique Timeless Jewel:
Spoiler

Note: 18% more spell damage, and we can't generate frenzy charges anyway. However, you can get two frenzy charges from two rings by crafting "+1 to minimum frenzy charge".

Shaped Ring:
Spoiler

Curse with Assassin's mark on hit. With this our crit chance is about 98% with whatever spell skill.

The other rare ring, body armour, gloves, belt and boots
Spoiler

Stats priority: Life > ES> Resists > Dex/Strength.

Armour: 6-linked Vaal Regalia is relatively cheap due to the div card "The Ethereal". On the armour, get "Gain 10% of Maximum Life as Extra Energy Shield", amazing mod for hybrid life-ES build. I crafted mine with just dense fossil and then multimod. Offensive option would be a Shaped Vaal Regalia crafted with "supported with level 1 arcane surge" and/or "+# crit chance to spells". This can be fossil crafted with Aetheric Fossil + Dense Fossil (both are pretty cheap). However, honestly the extra damage isn't needed.

Boots: Good movement speed on boots always help with clear speed. The rests are just fill in the resist and dex that you need.

Rare rings: Can craft "+ 1 to minimum frenzy charge", decent boost to DPS.

Gem Setup
Spoiler

Lightning Spell
Spoiler

With lightning spell as your main skill, we can upgrade this build to a semi-autobomber. For details please refer to my other build guide https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2666929.

Storm Brand set up:
Armour:
5L: Storm brand- Inspiration- Conc effect - Power charge on crit - Energy Leech
6L: Storm brand- Inspiration- Conc effect - Power charge on crit - Energy Leech-Controlled Destruction

Helmets:

Herald of ice-Herald of thunder-Added cold damage-increased critical strikes

Gloves and boots:

Lightning golem - Fire golem - Ice golem - minion life support

Stone golem - Chaos golem - Brand recall - Empower (lev 3-4)

Weapons 1:

CWDT (lev 1)-Immortal call (lev 3)- Wave of conviction (lev 1)

Weapons 2:

Flame dash (lev 20) - arcane surge (lev 5), Vaal Discipline (unlinked, to get over 7.5 K eHP fairly easily)

Unset rings:

Phase run

Arc 6L set up : Arc- Inspiration- Conc effect - Power charge on crit - Energy Leech-Controlled Destruction

Spark 6L set up : Spark- Inspiration- Conc effect - Power charge on crit - Energy Leech-Controlled Destruction/Ele Focus

Instead of doing the semi-autobomber thing with the shaper helmet, you can use this utility setup for bossing: Orb of Storm - Ele focus - Powercharge on crit - Onslaught

Fire Spells (Using fireball as an example)
Spoiler

6-link main skill:

Vaal Fireball- Inspiration- Controlled Destruction - Power charge on crit - Energy Leech-GMP

This is about 2M Shaper DPS. For single target, can swap GMP for Ele focus to get 4 M DPS, but need a white socket.

Bossing utility setup:

Armagadon brand-Combustion support- Power charge on crit- onslaught

Golems:

Stone golem - Chaos golem - Empower (lev 3-4)

CWDT:

CWDT (lev 1)-Immortal call (lev 3)- Wave of conviction (lev 1) ,
Herald of Ash

Movement:
Flame dash (lev 20) - arcane surge (lev 5), Herald of thunder

Cold Spell (Using Winter Orb as an example)
Spoiler

6-link main skill:

Winter Orb- Infused Channeling- Conc effect - Power charge on crit - Energy Leech/ele focus-GMP

This is about 0.45 M Shaper DPS per projectile, and we got 5.

Bossing ultility setup:

Frost bomb-Vortex- Bonechill- onslaught[/span]

Golems:

Stone golem - Chaos golem - Empower (lev 3-4)

CWDT and aura:

CWDT (lev 1)-Immortal call (lev 3)- Zealotry- herald of ice

Movement:
Flame dash (lev 20) - arcane surge (lev 5), Herald of thunder

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Liege of the Primordial > Elemancer > Pendulum of Destruction > Mastermind of Discord

Bandits, Pantheons, Anointment
Spoiler

Bandits: Kill all
Pantheons: Soul of Lunaris, Soul of Shakari (Can use other minor gods as well.)
Anointment: Depends on what spell you went with.

Skills I have tried
Spoiler
I have tried Storm brand and Arc so far, and killed first uber elder deathless with ease. Mapping is very fast as well since the damage is high.

POB
Spoiler

Strom brand: https://pastebin.com/dgPhgqJ3
Arc: https://pastebin.com/p7j12Rvn
Spark: https://pastebin.com/6rNXubZJ

Fireball: https://pastebin.com/FCpRbh4D
Winter Orb: https://pastebin.com/PX6KuQNX

Concluding remarks
Spoiler

This build guide is just a platform for you to build your own Elemental spell build. Feel free to test with whatever spell you like (just not chaos/DOT), the damage will be there.

Last edited by wodeljn on Dec 11, 2019, 9:12:23 PM
Last bumped on Mar 11, 2020, 2:14:15 PM
very interesting build. i have a pair of legecy shimms that i don't know what to do with ever since their errata. will try this build when i can! thanks for the build guide!
In the PoB there's a jewel allocated granting 450% increased golem buff, does that even exist?
"
Kilroy83 wrote:
In the PoB there's a jewel allocated granting 450% increased golem buff, does that even exist?

That's for the two golem ascendancy nodes which isn't calculated by POB
"
wodeljn wrote:
"
Kilroy83 wrote:

That's for the two golem ascendancy nodes which isn't calculated by POB

Oh so you spent those 2 points to the jewel slot just to show stats ignored by PoB or is it worth for the build?, sorry if I ask too many questions but I'm liking it and considering it for league start in a few weeks :)
"

Oh so you spent those 2 points to the jewel slot just to show stats ignored by PoB or is it worth for the build?, sorry if I ask too many questions but I'm liking it and considering it for league start in a few weeks :)

That is correct and the following is the full calculation I should have put in POB along with explanation: 450% golem effect + 180% increased damage

Each golem ascendancy node gives 25% increased golem buff effect, 9 golems total, that's 50% * 9 = 450% increased buff effect, from ascendancy alone. Then add in the 180% (20% * 9) increased damage from Liege of the Primordial, so the real damage is even higher.

If you wanna try it as a league starter I recommend checking out this other similar build guide I have that includes a somewhat detailed league starter section:)

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2666929/page/1

Good luck!
Sorry for being a noob but,what passive skills do you fill for this?I want it to be around a fire based skill
"
stepfire wrote:
Sorry for being a noob but,what passive skills do you fill for this?I want it to be around a fire based skill

Please check out the POB link I have a Fireball one in there.
The paste bin link for fireball has been removed... do you have another?
"
LaneGamez11 wrote:
The paste bin link for fireball has been removed... do you have another?

Added.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info