PS4 controller options for flasks

Hey guys,

I am playing on PS4 and I am struggling a little bit to use flasks on my PS4 controllers, I would like to know how do you play and the different options to improve the gameplay. What I have seen so far :

- Standard PS4 controller : horrible, you have to use the dpad top left and right which is not easy while moving, on top of that you cannot really press multiple dpad buttons at once

- Standard PS4 controller but with remapping of buttons through the PS4 interface : somebody suggested remapping top left and right dpad to L2 / R3 / L3. The L3 and R3 buttons are a little bit better than the dpad but not that easy to use either. Once again it is difficult to hit everything at once and you need multiple action.

- Pro controller : I have heard about scuff or nacon controller. It seems you have additional button than you can remap to what you want. Any feedback on those ? Ideally, what would be perfect is to have all the flasks on buttons than you can all hit at once together with one action. Does any of these controller allow that ?

- Any other idea / feedbacks ?

Thanks !
Last bumped on Oct 28, 2019, 2:06:46 PM
"
Rovvvv wrote:
- Pro controller : I have heard about scuff or nacon controller. It seems you have additional button than you can remap to what you want. Any feedback on those ? Ideally, what would be perfect is to have all the flasks on buttons than you can all hit at once together with one action. Does any of these controller allow that ?

- Any other idea / feedbacks ?

Thanks !

I have an XBox Elite controller. The setup is very similar to the PS4 controllers in that "paddles" are used at the bottom of the controller to act as additional controls. It works fine and is much easier to use for Flasks than a "D-Pad" control, which the XBox also uses.

From what I have read of the PS4's options, there, with those two brands, you have several options there in programming macros and the like. AFAIK, strictly speaking, programming macros for the XBox Elite controller is possible, but I don't know how well they would work, if at all, in PoE.

In any case, it's not difficult at all to use the paddles to control Flasks for the Elite controller. (The design is very, very, similar to the PS4 controllers.)

Is it worth the expense? That's up to you. The design "works well" for the Elite Controller on XBox. Your experience with PS4 versions of similar design should be... similar. :)

Note: In the options menu, you can use the Smart Flask option to activate a sort of discriminating "macro" command that will use another flask of a similar type for the Flask you just activated if that flask doesn't have any charges on it. (ie: Health Flask has 0 charges, you press the command to activate it, Smart Flask chooses the next Health flask on your bar and activates that.)
I got used to using them. On L1 I have my quicksilver flask and R1 I have my HP healing flask.

Left Up Right I have set with "increased duration" by 40% each, with Dying Sun on the right as it's the shortest one (4.8 secs). Of course all flasks are 20% for increased time but can also be 26% through Jun. So my left and up flasks are almost 7 seconds each.

So what I do is press left and up intermittently for my two flasks (jade with 80% crit chance and diamond with curse removal), and then if I'm fighting a rare or a lot of enemies I also press right for Dying Sun.

I can clear a T15 map in under a minute with flasks going all the time. It really does just come down to practice unfortunately.

I can also push on the right with my left thumb as I'm still holding the stick but that's hand size dependent.
there's no need to use the flasks all at once, what i do is kinda run my fingers left to right across the D-pad as if I was playing Tekken 2.
hardcore casual.

Playing PoE for years and having fun despite GGG.
Unfortunately, I lack the dex for crazy movements, specifically taking my finger off the movement of my character so I can use flasks.
So I just make builds with 3 life flasks and a utility.
Whatever I am bringing, I bring 2, then the auto flask switch selects the second one and I keep killing. I can't use more than L1 R1 so I just deal with it.
I will wear your ghost and you will die twice, against me and for me.
That is some cold blooded shit to say...
"
GrunkleBob wrote:
Unfortunately, I lack the dex for crazy movements, specifically taking my finger off the movement of my character so I can use flasks.
Whatever I am bringing, I bring 2, then the auto flask switch selects the second one and I keep killing. I can't use more than L1 R1 so I just deal with it.

Play hook. I keep my middle finger on L1 with my pointer on top so I can easily hit them all. It's a lot more comfortable than it sounds, it just feels a little awkward at first.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
Using the D-Pad for flasks is a total pain in the ass. Idk why you guys are saying it aint so bad. There may be a way to swap the buttons right through the PlayStation settings. R3 L3 and L2 is what that guy karavoskiuti w/e the fuck his name is did to get to lvl 100.
"
DjOrchard wrote:
Using the D-Pad for flasks is a total pain in the ass. Idk why you guys are saying it aint so bad. There may be a way to swap the buttons right through the PlayStation settings. R3 L3 and L2 is what that guy karavoskiuti w/e the fuck his name is did to get to lvl 100.

That had absolutely nothing to do with him getting to 100. And I can guarantee he had to buy a new controller after that league.

That's just a crazy terrible idea.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
GrunkleBob wrote:

Same for me. The flask setup is abysmal, I wish we could configure our control layout.
You know what, it kinda sux more now that L2 is used.
Even if I can configure controller, I use ALL the buttons already.
I suppose I could put flasks in L/R3 but then how do I upgrade totems?!?
I use L2 for auras and dynamite so that's not something I want to give up now that we have it... I may try that HOOK method, felt real weird in the hand, but I may actually try it.
I tend to just play 2 flask builds, but I could use a damage boost every now and then.
I will wear your ghost and you will die twice, against me and for me.
That is some cold blooded shit to say...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info