Some aoe skills still broken on console

Some aoe skills like Reave or Gound Slam are still broken on console.

Some monsters dont get hit although the animation of the skill clearly shows that they should be in range. I thought i give them another try after the recent changes to melee but unfortunately they still feel garbage.

Other aoe skills like sunder or cyclone with smaller hit ranges seem to perform properly.
Last edited by Faceman165 on Oct 3, 2019, 2:07:56 AM
Last bumped on Oct 9, 2019, 10:26:57 PM
They're not inherently broken. It's just the desync that makes it look like you're hitting things despite you not being anywhere near those things serverside or vice versa.
"
Faceman165 wrote:
Other aoe skills like sunder or cyclone with smaller hit ranges seem to perform properly.

Uh... :)

Note: I'm no POE Savant, but the below is a layman's interpretation of how Cyclone sort of works concerning its sometimes strange results.

Cyclone calculates "to hit" based on a sort of group/pack formula AFAIK. There's a modifier generated every "cycle" of cyclone. (I don't know the rate.)

Basically, those "area attack hit calculations" are somewhat aggregated. You can cyclone right through two packs of mobs and barely hit anything. But, restart your Cyclone and, magically, you've got a better hit modifier and the packs disappear in a blood explosion. But, that couple of guys left over that jumped in on the action? They're part of a different pack and have their own values, so maybe they'll just stand there curiously as the Cycloning blade wizzes over their head? (This is outside of accuracy calcs and the like.)

There's a thread, somewhere, that explains how things are done with Cyclone. (Theorycrafting or actual code, I don't know.) IF other sorts of AOE effects use a similar strategy to reduce CPU load, then that may be what you're experiencing.

And, yes, coupled with frame lag and positiion updating. PoE is very strict on positioning and keeping that data sync'd properly with the servers. If it gets out-of-range, rubber-banding occurs and/or some effects just not getting calc'd appropriately.

This League, I've also seen many more mobs that "aren't really there." I think sync issues have forced them to lower the reporting rates a tiny bit to prevent players from experiencing tons of very overt and noticeable rubber-banding. It's not what's actually happening that causes complaints, it's what the player experiences happening... "If they can't see it, they can't notice it!" Well, until they do and post on the subject. :)
Last edited by Morkonan on Oct 9, 2019, 10:31:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info