Venom Gyre

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Last bumped on Jan 17, 2024, 1:50:21 AM
neat skill.
scion gets venom gyre at lvl 12 but cant get whirling blades till library a3.
i realize scion has access to a large% of gems early,
and ED/contagion skill combos are neat-
but either give both or neither.
Last edited by zephiroth3 on Dec 9, 2019, 9:04:38 PM
My main feedback for this skill after playing it on 2 assassins is that either multiple projectiles or pierce or both, along with longer range of projectiles before they return would help the skill quite a bit. Using Shaper boots for pierce (pretty much the only boots to choose for this build) to avoid using the pierce support in 6-link, and multiple projectiles for those extra projectiles and less damage limits the damage scaling and/or support gem options quite a bit. Also, the 90-116% damage effectiveness cap on the gem makes it a poison only build for best scaling, rather than being a potential physical/chaos damage build that doesn't need the poison damage scaled up with support gems to kill bosses well.

What I was thinking about the multiple (Maybe 3?) projectile piece is that Cobra Lash chains without a chain support. And similar to venom gyre the ability is claw and dagger dependent. This lack of need of a support to chain makes it a much easier skill to level with than venom gyre.

My #1 suggestion is to make the projectiles pierce all targets they hit regardless of how many units the attack passes through. If you try playing the venom gyre skill without a pierce support or shaper boots you will be quickly overwhelmed by high density areas.

Since assassins can't use quivers and bows (which give extra projectiles and pierce gearing options) and this is a claw or dagger projectile build with extreme range limitations compared to a bow or mine projectile, there are extremely limited number of monsters that get hit by each attack in high density areas like delve, legion monoliths, high density maps, etc. This forces the build to rely on corpse explosions for clearing high density monster areas- which is really really expensive to acquire. Either Asenath gloves, the explosion modifier on chest, or the cluster jewel that gives 10% chance to explode corpses are options, but all are expensive and without this as a near 100% modifier the monsters just stack up.

The dream would be to have venom gyre pierce all monsters with it's limited attack range without extra pierce modifiers, and that the mobs killed either by the outgoing or return projectile would explode and/or destroy corpses. The short range also causes a lot of deaths in delve due to bug corpses blowing up at your feet before you can move forward during the node fights where density is generally the thickest.

The build has a lot of promise, and is very survivable, but it can be miserable to try to fight high tier bosses with since the curse enhanced damage drops off so much and poison damage is slow.

tldr- Venom Gyre needs pierce all monsters hit and probably 3 projectiles as the starting point to feel as good as bow skills do and to have better damage scaling in the end game.

I was going to give separate feedback for whirling blades, the counterpart of venom gyre. The main issue with this skill is if you move your mouse and it targets a monster and use the skill, then move your mouse away to move away and hit the skill again, if the monster isn't dead you just bounce over the monster that was targeted on the first click instead of to your mouse cursor. This has caused me a lot of trouble when fighting Sirus, as the skill has thrown me outside of his "arena" in the early phases and caused him to go up in the air instead of continuing the fight.
Last edited by phoronid on Oct 15, 2020, 6:56:23 PM
Spoiler
hi there,

it would be cool if "venom gyre" has a build-in AOE on hit and more base projectiles, and maybe also a melee gem tag which would be really net for some fun combos early on

kind regards
JeckNoTree

old text.
A
Last edited by JeckNoTree on May 8, 2021, 1:15:36 PM
hello there,

on point "venom gyre" has good stats and looks promising as a skill and it looks good.

The problem I have with the skill is that it needs a lot of utility gems to make it enjoyable to play, and this means it needs a lot of sockets that are linked or specific gear to work.

I would love to suggest, that it has a higher base projectile count(2-4 additional Projectiles) and base "fork" or "pierce"), bc the divergent variant has +1 "chain", and or maybe letting it be a strike (claw, dagger, sword) build somewhat similar like "lightning strike", letting it being supported by the fortify skill gem.

The secondary effect could be somewhat spell related, like (if you use a "movement skill"(rather than whirling blades) ) it triggers a linked to the movement gem "Blade skill" (blade blast, blade vortex) based on the amount blades caught.

Spoiler
this would make it a hybrid build.

just some thoughts and ideas I love have to suggest.

I think if those changes are made, the base damaged could be even lowered.
Thank you for reading this text.

kind regards
JeckNoTree
A
old
Lv95 Shadow here, late to the party, but I'll still leave a bit of feedback.

By now I have already spent between 50~60 exalts (STD) on claws (including with the now gone 60% chance for Poison to deal 100% more Damage), Gems 20/23 (no variant), 21/20 (no variant), 20/20 (Anomalous) and 20/20 (Divergent), Voidwalker (pierce 5 additional targets while Phasing), Replica Voidwalker (Chain +1 while Phasing), Helmet Enchants VG 35% chance to keep caught Projectiles(...), VG 40% Increased Damage, and I'm currently testing the Enchant 20% to Inflict Wither. I also make changes on the skill tree on a regular basis to see how high I can go with VG, this includes messing with stuff like Split Shot/Piercing Shots, so far Forking (from either Split Shot or Fork Support) seem to be perfect for Venom Gyre.

I see a that everyone is suggesting VG to have innate Pierce or Chain, well IMO making VG having these perks won't solved the major issue, which is damage, btw, Chain on Venom Gyre feels really bad, especially considering that for mapping It's much more efficient to use Whirling Blades to fire the caught projectiles simply because they shotgun everywhere, and considering that they pierce the targets, Chain is pretty much useless, and for bossing, well there's no point in having Chain since most bosses are single targets.

I'm not the kind of person that bashes X skill for having more damage than Y skill, but I guess I'll have to be that person when it comes to Venom Gyre vs Cobra Lash, simply because I started with CL and eventually moved to VG to see how well it performed.

I wonder, why was the Added Chaos Damage removed from Venom Gyre and yet Cobra Lash keeps on having not only the 60% Physical to Chaos conversion but also the Added Chaos Damage, Cobra Lash also has the benefit of having innate Chain, Venom Gyre has pierce on Returning Projectiles which might sound great, except Chain works sort of like an aimbot going from one target to the other and Pierce goes in a straight line, oh and let's not forget Cobra Lash also has +50% to Damage over Time Multiplier for Poison from Critical Strikes.

So CL, not only is pretty good for mapping due to the innate Chain, but it is especially really good for bossing due to its Added Chaos Damage/Physical to Chaos Conversion/50% DoT multiplier for Poison from Critical Strikes, these perks allow players to have decent builds without any major investments.

VG is really awesome for mapping, I freaking love it, even more than CL, but the investment one has to do with VG to have decent boss damage is lunacy.
Pff, who even plays Standard?
Last edited by ZarkBit on Jan 6, 2022, 7:26:41 AM
old
In continuation of my previous post:

My suggestion, since it is very unlikely that the Added Chaos Damage will return to Venom Gyre, limit the pierce on returning projectile to 1 or 2 mobs instead of ALL Targets, this could allow it to have either Fork or Chain after piercing X mobs (either through Gem support, Passives or Gear, this would also benefit Blades shot by Venom Gyre itself), the reason as to why not innate is simply, player choice, some people prefer Chain some prefer Fork, Venom Gyre also could have innate multiple projectiles (2 or 3 more projectiles) this could allow us to get rid of GMP and leave room for a damage gem support for bossing.
Last edited by ZarkBit on Jan 6, 2022, 7:27:13 AM
Can we PLEASE have a change to the buff icon of number of blades caught?

I play on 65" and im pretty sure even on a smaller monitor it is soo hard to look at the number of blades I have caught to do maximum damage.
Maybe add the buff to be always next to aura-s... if it cant be added somewhere else. Atleast then even if I dont have the buff I know where to look when I should have some blades.
Right now if I have 15buffs the caught blade buff can be ANYWHERE...

Also, NEW MTX please?!
Mathils actual cat
Last edited by HDTanel on Aug 21, 2022, 2:55:09 PM
Give back Divergent Venom Gyre :'(

Edit: I agree with HDTanel, it's hard to figure out where Venom Gyre's icon is, these types of information icons should be in another area, or start thinking about let us change the UI's layout on the fly.
Last edited by ZarkBit on Jan 17, 2024, 1:54:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info