Thread Lock Contention

Hi,

I am a friend, don't shoot the messenger. I read a recent post where management described the cause of the low performance. I think he was misled; or maybe that's only half the problem.

I'm sometimes getting frame rates < 0.5 (Yes, 1 frame every 2 seconds or less) even when there is only a single enemy on the map. Fixing instance crashes by spraying your code with lock objects will cause longer wait states and lock contentions. What I am experiencing almost certainly isn't GPU related... no amount of work will cause delays this long. It's almost certainly related to a thread lock contention.

Thanks for listening, don't give up... it's a great game and I like the idea of being "Designed to be played forever" as Chris stated at the last conference.

Last bumped on Sep 24, 2019, 2:12:41 AM
That's not your frame rate, it's lag spikes. This game's networking and servers are just awful. It's been improved a good bit, but it's still really prone to stuff like that happening if your internet slows down a bit, or there's lots of people playing at the time.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info