Increased, more, addictive,multiplicative--what is the difference?

As the title said: can someone explain in a plain way how these things work?

For example in the skill tree what is the difference between: 8% increased energy shield and, 8% more energy shield.

Or for example in this wiki entry:
Spoiler
"
Negative Resistances: This curse can cause resistance values to dip into the negative, if the base values are low enough. This will have the affect of increasing the damage above values listed on the character screen. For example, a monster that has 0% lightning resistance and then is inflicted with level 1 Conductivity will take 30% more (multiplicative) lightning damage than the spell or attack would normally cause.

what does "multiplicative" mean ?

Someone can explain or point to a guide? Thanks.
Last edited by adikia on Mar 15, 2013, 8:49:38 PM
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2023, 7:43:23 PM
Increased means it will apply additively, more means it will apply multiplicatively.

For example, lets say you have 100 base energy shield. You have 20% increased energy shield from passives, and 30% increased energy shield from Intelligence. You also have 10% more energy shield from passives.

Energy shield=100*(1+.2+.3)*1.1=165

Now if you also had 20% more energy shield from a unique item or something you would have:
Energy shield=100*(1+.2+.3)*1.1*1.2=198

Hope this helps you understand.

Also: this has a complex example at the bottom. If you understand this you will understand the mechanics at play pretty well. http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Damage_conversion
The formula is:
[flat bonuses added together] x [1 + all "increased" percentages added together - all "reduced" percentages added together], then times all "more" or "less" modifiers.

For example, let's say you have 100 energy shield on your chest, 50 energy shield on your helm, 25 energy shield each on your gloves and boots, 40% increased energy shield from passives, 200 Intelligence, and a notable passive that gives 20% more energy shield. Remembering that every point of Intelligence gives 0.2% increased energy shield...

(100+50+25+25)*(1+.4+.4)*1.2 = 432 energy shield

Now let's say you also took Eldritch Battery for some reason. Now all that energy shield is converted to mana. Let's say you also had 30% increased maximum mana and had 200 mana before factoring in Intelligence. What the game does is take each individual source of flat values, calculate it all the way out, then add them together. While doing this, if A is converted to B, then A gets the increased/reduced and more/less changes for both A and B.

ES converted to mana = 200*(1+.4+.4+.3)*1.2 = 504 mana from ES
Mana to mana = (200+100)*(1+.3) = 390
Total mana = 504 + 390 = 894
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
I think i got it.

[flat bonuses added together](like: +12mana)
[1 + all "increased" percentages added together - all "reduced" percentages](+3% mana)
all "more" or "less" modifiers. (like 3% MORE mana)

So the difference between 20% and 20% more is:

Increased: 100*(1.2)= 120 = 20
More: 100*1.2*1.2= 144 = 24

So the only difference is that MORE use the increased value when calculating.Good.
So if i had 2 +20% increased and 2 +20% MORE the difference would be:

Increased: 100*(1.2+0.2)= 140 = 40
More: 100*1.4*1.2*1.2= 201 = 61

To conclude: more increase the value by a lot, increased just in a simple way.

It is a bit like simple interest versus compound interest lol.

(Sorry for digging up this old thread by the way)
"
Deadpeng wrote:
It is a bit like simple interest versus compound interest lol.

(Sorry for digging up this old thread by the way)

Good analogy. If only more people understood finance
@OP: There is a really great video that you should see. If you want to become a decent player you NEED to know this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlDQs-e_B0

Edit: WTF? Why do people always necro these old threads?
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Last edited by 666lol666 on Jun 14, 2017, 3:42:25 PM
"
666lol666 wrote:

People find it much harder to necro new threads.
"
666lol666 wrote:
@OP: There is a really great video that you should see. If you want to become a decent player you NEED to know this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlDQs-e_B0

I'd like to watch the vid, but since it's private, I can't see it. Thanks anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info