[3.7]Champion Perforate+Bladestorm | Impale+Crit 2 to 3M dps on budget | All Content | POB | Videos

Hi Guys, impale has always been a mechanic i thought was pretty interesting so i thought i will give it a try this league. Because everyone is running around cycloning, i thought it would be fun and interesting to try some non-cyclone builds

This is my first build i posted here, so do give me criticism and advice, thanks

Bladestorm explanation
Spoiler

New skill in 3.7, Blade storm creates a 360 degree whirling sand/blood attack from your character. The Lingering Bladestorm deals 50% of your normal attack damage and you can have up to 3 Bladestorms up. Blade storm has 2 different version based on your current stance(blood/sand), requiring you to at least have blood and sand up
Blood stance:
Less aoe, more damage, more attack speed. We use this usually for single target on tankier rares or bosses
Sand stance:
More aoe, less damage, grants a movement speed buff when you are in the sand storm. Bladestorm in this mode travels forward slowly

Having more attack speed only increases the frequency in which the bladestorm deals damage and reduces the attack speed animation. This allows us to hit and run against dangerous rares from legion.

Perforate explanation
Spoiler

Same as Bladestorm, Perforate is a new skill introduced in 3.7. The function of the skill varies greatly depending on your current stance
Blood stance:
Strikes the "floor", to summon 5(it looks like it summoned 5 or 6, i looked at it for a few minutes and never saw extra) spikes in a small area. This is a highly underrated skill because of how terrible the aoe is. But because this can hit the same enemy multiple times, it can highly reduce the ramp up time of impales and bring your dps to the max. To me, this feels like a replacement for the nerfed moltenstrike.
Sand Stance:
Shit, do not use this

Why Champion?
Simple, Champion has +2 maximum impale on enemies, more added phys damage based on the number of impale stacks on the enemy. Banner reservation requires no mana, which allows us to run all the auras required.

Pros
Has a budget version
Crits, lots of satisfing crits and screen shaking
Hit and run playstyle for dangerous legion release
4M-5M dps if you are able to use 2 6link for both perforate and bladestorm
Using cool new skills
All map mods except phys reflect and no leech
Not a cyclone build
Not alot of mandatory equipments required
Budget version is strong enough to clear all content

Cons
Min maxing can be costly(watcher's eye and multimodded wep)
Definitely not HC friendly
Requires Blood/sand stance dancing to maximise single target damage
Does not instant explode legion mobs, probably have to jump around and tag key targets
Can be super tough to calculate true dps, because we use impale and brutal restraint in the build

Impale Explanation
Warning: lots of math and explanation ahead
Spoiler

Introduced in 3.5 with shattering steel/lancing steel, impale was not popular due to the scarcity of support/passives for it.
However, with 3.7, comes new passives and support gems that supports impale directly, allowing a 100% chance to impale for all physical skills

How it works:
Impale records the hit of the attack and deals 10% of the damage on subsequent hits
By default, impale last for the next 5 hits on maximum(can be increased by 2 via champion ascendency and 2 more with watcher's eye mod)
Assuming your first hit deals 1000 damage
Your second hit will deal 1000 damage +100(1st impale stack)
Your third hit will deal 1000 damage +100 +100(2 impale stacks)
Your fifth hit will deal 1000 damage +100 +100 +100 +100 +100(5 impale stacks)

So, by default without any increment in impale lasting extra hits or effect, assuming 100% chance to impale, impale gives 50% more damage.

Here is where the math gets complicated.
Calculating the total increased impale effect in the build
Using a lvl 20/20 impale support(59%), ascendency(8%), passives(20%), lvl 20/20 dread banner with 30%effectiveness(24%)
We will have a total of 111% increased impale effect.

To calculate how much more damage impale gives
(Impale stacks x.1) x Chance(always 1, because 100% impale chance) x ([effectiveness x.01] +1)
0.5 x 1 x 2.111 = 1.0555 = 105.55% more damage
This is assuming your impale lasts for a maximum of 5 hits

Assuming 7 hits, due to champion ascendency.
0.7 x 1 x 2.111 = 1.4777 = 147.77% more damage

Assuming 9 hits, with watcher's eye mod
0.9 x 1 x 2.111 = 1.8999 - 189.99% more damage

So as you can see, impale scales ridiculously well with extra hits and this is the reason why the watcher's eye mod is currently 13ex and going up, however getting the watcher's eye is not mandatory

TLDR; impale = 105.55% more damage without ascendency, 147.77% with master of metal champion ascendency, 189.99% more damage if you are rich and can afford a watcher's eye with impale mod

Disclaimer:
Pob currently does not support multistrike with Bladestorm
Does not support the actual impale damage value
Does not support brutal restraint, which is used in the build

POB and skilltree
Spoiler

I made a jewel in the tree to replicate the effects of brutal restraint and Impale effect
Blade storm has 2 component in pob, the actual initial attack and the lingering bladestorm, to get the actual dps if you only use bladestorm for single target, you simply multiply the attack hit by 2.5(1 main attack +3 x 0.5 lingering bladestorms)

Pob are set at lvl 95 because i usually stop lvling a character at 95

Without multimodded sword and brutal restraint
https://pastebin.com/eXYpMH6N

With multimodded sword and brutal restraint
https://pastebin.com/y7EsNAmf

Gearing

Gems
Spoiler

Importance from left to right, right being the last to add in when you have a 6l
On Weapon
Bladestorm-Brutality-Multistrike-Pulverise-Melee physical damage-Impale

There is no point to use impale before you get 100% chance to impale, most of the enemies before maps tend to die fast anyways, so impale would usually be the last support to add in

Replace Melee physical for fortify if you do not have a 2 hand fortify supported wep. Alternatively, you can rely on leapslam as your sole source of fortify

On Armor
Perforate-Brutality-Close combat-Multistrike-Melee physical damage-Impale

Perforate absolutely sucks early game, because there wont be lots of chances to use it, bladestorm provides enough single target most of the time with better aoe. This is meant purely for late game/bossing

On Helm
Flesh and stone-Maim-Pride-Enlighten

Flesh and stone maims nearby target, nearby enemies take increased damage from the both flesh and stone and maim support, this is very strong for single target
Enlighten is here just for QOL to have more mana to work with

On Gloves
Leap Slam-Fortify
Vaal molten shell-cast when damage taken

On Boots
Ancestral Protector-Blood and sand-Dread banner
Precision

Ancestral protector, because more attack speed is nice
Blood and sand gives more aoe in sand, and more damage in blood
Dread banner to cap impale chance
Precision is a no brainer because extra crit for 22 mana reserved

Weapon
Spoiler

We use a 2 handed sword for weapon
Why?
Because 2 handed weapons are cheaper(you dont need to get 2 1 handers, its double the cost, probably)
It allows a second 6 link and a 7Link when you can afford a fortify multimodded elder sword
Ideally we are looking at +crit and attack speed on top of the 400+ Dps, base crit is very strong for this build that scales with crit

Budget version:

Terminus Est
Gives crit, gives frenzy charges on crit. Pretty good for a starter to maps

Less budget version:
Any 2 handed exquisite blade with 400dps+
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Legion/eWjdYTL
They go for 10c as of now

Not so budget version i am currently using:

The base cost 2ex, multimod cost 2ex, hits cant be evaded cost 3ex, crit and attack speed cost 1ex each, this sword cost a minimum of 9ex to make.
This gives more damage on your bladestorm and allow you to run another damage support gem

Body armor
Spoiler

Body armor is pretty much a free slot for you to explore, honestly there is no mandatory body armor to use

Budget version:
tabula rasa, random corrupted 6l in the trade with the correct colour +life, +resist

Less budget version:
Carcass jack
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Carcass_Jack
Belly of the beast 6l
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Belly_of_the_Beast

Carcass jack provides more aoe, makes clear better
Belly of the beast simply gives more life and resist

I use a farrul fur just because i can afford it and i wanted to use it.
However, an Elder Astral plate with high life and supported by maim would be a good alternative

Gloves
Spoiler

Life, resist, added physical damage, attack speed and accuracy(does not apply if you have the multimodded sword)these are the main mods to look out for

Budget version:
Oskarm
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Oskarm
Assassin mark on hit, more crit is always good, more accuracy is good

Attack speed, life, resist. This gloves actually costed me 60c, which is pretty cheap. Not a good idea to drop Oskarm until you have an assassin mark shaper ring

Boots
Spoiler

Life, resist, Movement speed are you best friend here

Budget version:
High life, High movement speed, resist, balance the different values until you can afford a pair of boots here.

Legion mobs often drop temple modded rares, something like mine wouldnt cost more than 20c. Of course, you will want more resist to free up the required resist on your other slots

Helm
Spoiler

Life, resist, accuracy(Does not apply if you have a multimodded sword)

Because Bladestorm and Perforate are new skills, there arent any lab enchant that affects them. So the requirements are quite slack here

Again, this cost me less than an ex, anything with high life is good as long as your resists are capped

Neck
Spoiler

Life, resist, Crit multiplier(best for scaling), crit chance, Ideally with 1 free prefix to craft increased aoe on

budget version:

Lots of accuracy, because we dont take any accuracy nodes in the passives

This cost me like 30c, i crafted the increased aoe just so i can have better clear

Rings
Spoiler
Life, resist, accuracy, crit

Budget version:
Just any ring with life and resist to cap your resist and increase your overall health pool.

Having an assassin mark shaper ring removes the need to use oskarm. I find this the best set up for damage, i spent less than 2ex in total for both the rings here

Belt
Spoiler
Life, resist, Stygian vise

Budget version:
We are looking for as much life as possible, with resist. Ideally with a free prefix so you could craft increased damage on it

Crafted this myself with pristine+prismatic fossil. Aspect of the cat is there to support farrul's fur

Flasks
Spoiler

Utility flasks are super important here
We need freeze, bleed, curse immunity

Dying sun is super cheap this league, more aoe is always good

Dying sun is cheap this league, more aoe is good

Quartz flask with anti bleed, for extra survivability

Quicksilver with anti freeze, because we gotta go fast

Lion's roar for extra damage. The knock back can be really annoying at times, but it can also be a life saver with the knock back

Diamond flask gives more crit chance, crit is good, crit is damage

Jewels
Spoiler

Tempered flesh/transcendent flesh
This gives 70% crit multiplier. Thats a shitload of crit multiplier and more damage for a jewel slot

Watcher's eye
We look for mods that affect pride and precision, going down from most important to least
Impale last 2 more hits by pride
Double damage chance by pride
Critical multiplier by precision
physical damage by pride
attack damage by precision
attack speed by precision

Brutal Restraint by NASIMA
25% more crit chance, permanently blinded. This can only be used with a multimodded sword. Gives lots of crit chance, and definitely damage. we put this at the bottom left of the tree to change Iron grip to second sight

Life, resist, crit multi, any jewel with nice stats that compliments the build with life

Pantheon
Spoiler

Solaris or Lunaris are good
Abberath because i hate floor on fire

Bandits
Spoiler

Alira, more resist, crit multi and mana regen is good enough for 2 points

Leveling
Spoiler

1-28
https://pastebin.com/qJ29BRJK
Path towards leech and take some crit nodes
Any skill will do, i like frost blade because it looks cool and has a good clear. it falls off eventually due to single target

28-50
https://pastebin.com/dv4LsNK8
Take some life nodes and more sword nodes to the left of the tree
Blade storm should be pretty good at this point for most damage. You should be looking for physical damage swords

51-Act10(until you replace terminus est)
https://pastebin.com/ysD8iCvP
At this point you should be focusing on completing the critical nodes for swords

After act 10
https://pastebin.com/J9MHBMuX
Get some life nodes in the wheel near scion, at this point you should be added either life or damage if you feel like you need more damage. 4k+ life is enough until red maps. This is when you get vaal pact too

Tabula makes life easy with an early 6l, but 6l is absolutely not required until you progress to maps

Videos:
Pardon the keyboard sounds, forgot to off my mic

Uber elder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtaKNhKvW0&feature=youtu.be

Depth 299 lvl83 Ahuatotli(no mods affecting boss)

Depth 326 lvl 83 kurgal(more fire damage, less curse effect, attack chains)

*will be adding more videos as time comes

Changelog
Spoiler

Patch 3.7.1 24/6/2019
Build added
Videos of uber elder, ahuatotli and kurgal added
Last edited by Astarift on Jun 24, 2019, 11:25:09 PM
Last bumped on Jun 25, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
Reserved
Looks interesting. Will try out this build!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info