3.8 - Spectral Shield Throw Deadeye - Frigid Table Thrower

Intro:
This build was made from the start of legion, SST (Spectral shield throw) got only a few buffs in the patch but made a world of difference, Not only to clear but for single target setups, i wanted to make SST viable for bossing and most of this guide is going to focus on achieving that.
To be clear I don't claim this is the ‘best’ way to do SST it’s simply what I ended up with and had a ton of success with, If you have an idea to do something different to go ahead and try it that’s what i feel Path of exile is about, people using this build as a cookie cutter is all i hope to achieve.

3.8 Changes and thoughts:
Disclaimer if this isn't changed a week or so into the new league this is entirely based on patch notes and skill gem notes. The build unchanged is 3.8 ready.

• Vicious projectiles got buffed (For some reason i have no idea why)
• New anointment called Tenacity seems pretty nuts (Increases and reductions to max life also apply to attack damage at 30% of value)
• N̶o̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶w̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶V̶e̶n̶g̶e̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶c̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶o̶l̶.̶
The above interaction isn't useful, If you want a long explanation i can provide it, but there's no real abuse or 'buff' it provides, It also only 'works' if all the chains are used up.
• They fixed the "shattered projectiles" (Only those specifically so it's not like the skill was broken) not having the damage scaling from things like point blank and deadeye chain.
-A small TL;DR - Point blank now is less damage, The Deadeye chains now scale damage correctly (Based on the the initial shield's remaining chains)
-Longer version - the mechanic and how it wasn't scaling correctly; shattered projectiles were assuming the damage of Deadeye as 0 Remaining chains (Which was way less damage) and point blank was assuming the distance from the source of the shattered projectile (So from where the shield was hitting) Instead of correctly from the player.

All of these are buffs in my eyes, wouldn't change anything about the build at all, I'm not playing it at league start so i'll try to keep my eye out for buff/nerfs and ofcourse disccuss any changes you might want to make.

3.7 Changes and exciting stuff for returning SST players:*Legion League*
Spoiler
In 3.7 the skill gem itself got some huge buffs in terms of base damage, attack time, projectiles (From the shatter effect) and finally the biggest single buff - The Threshold jewel “Divide and Conquer”. This single threshold jewel allows SST to be not only a mapping/clearing beast but adds +4 chains to the skill innately, This can be somewhat abused by using Deadeye’s “Ricochet” node in ascendancy granting us a 5th chain and 10% More damage per remaining chain, giving our single target a juicy 50% more (For reference that’s more than most support gems in the game). On Top of the already ridiculous damage buff this jewel gives it allows us to invest into chain without hurting our clear, Making the shatter effect of SST trigger on each chain spewing projectiles (Albeit at a reduced amount) everywhere augmenting our pack clear to insane amounts.

Now that you’re probably hyped or already were hyped let’s list some pros and cons.

Pros
• Extremely versatile build, allowing you to be as glass cannon as you want or invest heavily in defenses
• Quite easily hitting over 6k life with reasonable gear
• Pretty low floor in terms of gear requirements to make the build “tick”
• Extremely high ceiling for gear and investment to make the build “sick” (I’ll stop with the jokes)
• Only one required unique in the build (Jewel) and the other not being required
• Your main ‘weapon’ is a shield which are insanely easy to craft with Dense fossils or essences
•Chilling or Freezing most bosses (Of course once the damage gets there)

Cons
• The build while practical isn’t anything to brag about in defenses, Not able to facetank uber elder or anything crazy, There’s enough life total to take a couple of hits but not enough to make up for extremely bad execution
• Not Atziri viable, if you’re atall versed in how the build functions you’ll know why. Yes even normal atziri (Although I have killed her with a 4 link shield charge)
• To get 100% Phys to Cold conversion it requires a somewhat expensive watcher’s eye, that being said 90% conversion is possible with just hrimsorrow
• The small hitbox of the initial shield, and for most people having to accurately aim it is difficult. Not necessarily a complaint by me but it happens and can be a deal-breaker for some people
• Low crit chance so sometimes EO will not proc on single target making damage feel somewhat inconsistent

Videos of the build: (Let me know if you want anything cleared on video)
Spoiler
Uber Elder(Super Elder?): https://youtu.be/y0RrkxD-8gA
Angry Cowboy(Minotaur): https://youtu.be/UvSfID6b7VM
Angry DogGoatSnakeThing(Chimera): https://youtu.be/S6XKKSz37f0
Some Angry Armies(4-way Legion fight): https://youtu.be/p34Do3S3gkk
Rare Cold guy found in mine(Aul): https://youtu.be/rynuRVZC9Vc
Valley with Angry Chicken/Dog(Canyon T12): https://youtu.be/qONU5XBmX8o

The Build Breakdown:

Pastebin:
Spoiler
For the paste bins i’m going to include 2 versions, This is for a couple of reasons but mainly my Gear is getting to a point of Min Max and I don't reasonably expect most people to get a lot of those pieces. But i’m still keeping it here for people to have a goal of what dumb gear looks like.

Also in those two versions there will be 2 seperate trees, One is for Phase acro which I ran for the longest time, but I recently swapped off PA and grabbed Soul of steel and defiance, So try both and let me know how it feels.

The unreasonable Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/E1hsSapu

The reasonable Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/w3YN2AQh

Most of the gear in this one is just randomly thrown in from Trade searches I've been pretty cautious on going too overboard with gear requirements here. There is a watcher’s eye in the pastebin but you can easily swap the Gloves to hrimsorrow and remove the watcher’s eye, You lose 10% damage conversion but don’t lose hardly any damage overall. The shield and helm are extremely easy to craft with a small amount of luck.

Lastly if you're having issues resembling the example dps in POB i would read the FAQ section to see if you're doing something wrong.

Gear in Legion League:
Spoiler

Skill tree:
Spoiler
Level 96 Trees:
Soul of steel without Phase acro - http://poeurl.com/ctUE
Phase Acro without soul of steel - http://poeurl.com/ctUF

I’ve included both of these since I personally think both are viable, Possibly going phase acro early game with slightly worse gear is more beneficial and swapping over later. I would love to hear feedback on what you consider to be the better choice. On my personal build i’ve swapped to No PA.

Leveling:
Spoiler
Leveling an SST character should be a breeze, only really requiring the Divide and Conquer Jewel, I personally league started as this build and didn’t run into many issues.
I need to re-level and test out some things but legion is too fun to stop playing to test stuff, I will for sure be expanding on this section a ton in the near future, Or if you feel like contributing let me know how you leveled and some advice on how it felt.

Suggestions for leveling:
You get SST very early on in act 1 from the “Siren’s cadence” quest, Although ranger doesn’t get it from a quest reward so you’ll have to buy it from Nessa.
Early leveling uniques are pretty straight forward, Grab a kaltenhalt and a Princess when you can equip them, You can later upgrade into a Titucius' Span at level 30 this should have double the armour/evasion of a Kaltenhalt.
For rare gear just grab life and resistances as you need it, nothing special should be needed.
Skill tree, you can start with the projectile damage nodes, as that will give you some nice starting damage then you can rush either the ranger jewel socket (By frenzy and Acuity) and put your divide and conquer into there, or if you feel like you want it earlier you can get the jewel socket above ranger start (Near Charisma) and respect those points later.
From then onwards you shouldn’t need to upgrade a lot, You can grab other high armour rare or unique shields (Chernobog’s pillar is a good mention) if you feel you need the damage upgrade but the best unique shields before crafting one, are going to be Lioneye's remorse or Magna eclipsis.

List of suggested uniques for leveling:
The usual, Tabula, Goldrim, Wanderlust,Blackhearts
Karui Ward
Hrimsorrow
Kaltenhalt
Princess
Ewar's Mirage
Praxis (If you’re having mana issues)
Titucius' Span
Atziri’s Mirror
Chernobog’s Pillar
Prismatic Eclipse (3 green socket)
Lioneye’s remorse
Magna eclipsis

As i said this section is small and will need some work/testing.

Bandits:
Spoiler
Kill all for +2 skill points
There are some advantages to going with alira especially for early game, but the expensive respec isn’t worth it in my opinion.

Ascendancy Order:
Spoiler

Far shot>Ricochet>Tail Wind>Fast and Deadly

It’s kind of hard to argue with the order of ascendancy, you really feel the lack of single target before getting ricochet, Tailwind you could skip if you’re having accuracy problems and get Fast and deadly early.
There is however a choice if you want to go down stacking accuracy on gear, you can take “Powerful precision” in place of “Fast and Deadly” This node is extremely strong and I would suggest trying it out if you feel like it’s something you want, since I personally haven’t tested it.

Pantheons:
Spoiler

As with all Pantheons they aren’t extremely important to the build, it’s more of a personal preference to how you play.

Major gods:
Of Course the God of gods - Soul of the Brine King
Easy choice for the build, we don’t get any stun immunity or freeze immunity - Although we do have a high life pool this is still my #1 suggestion for the build. You will want to upgrade this as legion has some nasty hard single hits.

Soul of lunaris and Solaris

Both of these can serve as a Major god choice in builds having their advantages if you’re Mapping or bossing, i would suggest if you use these to have them fully upgraded to get the most benefit.

Minor gods:
If major gods weren’t all that important these are even less, But some honourable mentions.

Soul of Yugul

This is my personal favorite as most of my time spent on this character is in endgame, Shaper/Elder/Uber elder are all mostly cold damage the upgrade attached to it reducing cold damage in situations where you’re taking multiple hits. Being able to reflect chills also helps us a ton if the case may occur (Hypothermia requiring chill).

Soul of Gruthkul
While mapping this gets the most use, Some additional phys mitigation and upgraded allowing you to slow attackers which can be strong.

Soul of Ryslatha
A strong choice if you’re running a Lab or two, giving you passive charge generation on your life flask, The upgraded giving you a panic flask without having to use the roll on the flask.

Skill gems and Links:
Spoiler
6-Link main setup (SST)

This should be your main setup for 6-link, you can pick and change in extra utility gems, maybe you prefer extra Chain or Fork. This is provided you have a Level 1 Maim chest - If you do not have a Maim chest see below.
For Energy shield leech since it's a weird pick for a gem the short TL;DR on how it works.
You're always degenning with blood rage, You're always leeching ES if you are hitting, filling the requirements for 39% more damage while leeching.

Hypothermia is one of our best damage links, Provided you can chill the boss in question, There's no real guide to tell if you're able to chill them or not, just test it and see, If you find you're not chilling the boss then swap to either Maim (only if you don't have a level 1 maim chest) or any or the following Pierce, Slower proj, Elemental focus (Ele focus since you weren't able to chill anyway)

Maim is an extremely good gem for main links especially if you're not 100% conversion yet, but with the ability to hit level 1 Maim on a chest (Making sudo 7-links) this gem gets outdone by Energy shield leech.

Aura setup

Nothing too special here, you can drop Herald of ice if you want a higher leveled precision, but be careful reserving all of your mana, SST has about a 40 mana cost and you quite easily hit 5aps on the build.

Frost bomb

Frost bomb is extremely powerful for bossing on full cold builds, It's also made stronger by the fact most of the Penetration on skill tree reads as "With weapons" which doesn't work for SST sadly (One of the reasons we don't take fangs of frost)

Ancestral Protector

Another part of the build i haven't fully tested, The protector is mostly there for the increased attack speed on bosses, If you're unsure on how the other gems interact then just use Totem and Multitotem.
I need to test if the totem can actually do enough damage to chill even a small amount to proc the bonechill effect, if someone wants to give some advice on the mechanic i'd appreciate it.

Shield Charge

Bread and butter, nothing special here. You can add a culling strike or even an Onslaught gem in here(For onslaught on hitting unique enemy), but Fortify is too strong to replace in my opinion.

Cast when damage taken/BloodRage

Another weak part of the build i'm yet to test enough, A simple cast when damage taken - Immortal call worked perfectly fine for everything in the game, So i would pick one of these based on preference.
But there's potential for better mitigation with armour stacking and molten shell. Steel skin is also quite strong giving you some EHP whenever it procs, and from small testing it seems to negate the hit that triggered the cast when damage taken, So potentially saves you from almost 100% one shots.

Flasks:
Spoiler

You can drop Taste of hate or Atziri's promise for another defensive flask and roll shock immunity onto it.
As with all flasks, you want Bleed,Freeze and Curse immunity at a minimum, Shock removal is an added extra, Ideally you have Bleed on your life flask, the rest on utility/duration flasks.

FAQ section:
Spoiler
Is SST good for endgame?
Yes

How can i craft your shield?
My shield specifically is legacy now as of day 2-3 of Legion. There was a bug which allowed you to stack Delve quality and Crafted quality. That being said people are still able to hit over 3k with insane luck.
2.5k is easily doable by just spamming dense fossils which should carry you through the entire game.

How do you obtain conversion?
For 100% conversion you can use 40% on tree from the winter spirit wheel, 35+% on the hatred watcher's eye and 25% from gloves, with either the craft or Temple mod.
Alternatively you can just use 40% from tree and Hrimsorrow for 90% conversion before making the Switch

I can't sustain Mana what am i missing?
So this is a question that i've had a few times, considered not adding it to here, But some people miss a few things.
So the official site and compatibility with skill trees is a bit messy in this patch, This is why i highly suggest using POB. One thing people miss is the small mana/life leech node next to Vaal pact on tree, That's all the mana leech i ever needed just for one point.
Another thing people miss of grab later, is the %Mana/Flask nodes near ranger start, i grabbed these mostly for flask gen but later found it very nice for increasing the leech from hits and allowing to reserve a slightly higher precision.
On the topic of precision i would suggest just feeling out the level of which you want it at, and for certain keep it at level 1 if you're not running enlighten (Or a lower level one)
Ideally you want your leech to work perfectly on a single-target, Good way to test is to just feel it out and look at your SST button on your bar to see if it greys out at any point.

How do you get Frostbite on hit Rings?
The mod is specifically from the delve rooms with "Cold items" as far as i can remember, not sure which specific one it comes from, but i imagine they're pretty rare.
That being said it's not an insanely large damage buff, i wouldn't consider it necessary for the build.

How do i craft Helm/Chest?
For the helmet craft you want life and the -9 to nearby enemies, This is just by using "Frigid" + "Pristine".
For the Body armour you'll want Life and Level 1 Maim support (Although -Mana cost feels quite nice with SST being abour 43ish mana depending on links) This is by using "Pristine" + "Serrated" You can add in a Sanctified to invest a little more per attempt but that drives the price up a ton more.

What are the best rolls on Sceptres/Stat sticks?
The best rolls on sceptres/Stat sticks are going to be prettymuch everything that beats out any of the leveling stat sticks (Princess/ewar's/Prismatic) in my very limited testing in pob i ended up crafting my sceptre.
Now writing this and doing a bit more research you can get some extremely cheap stat sticks and i feel dumb for not realizing it. The best and cheapest way to beat out a Princess in terms of damage is to grab a Sword with -
Phys as extra cold and just simply craft on the highest %increased cold damage.
I'm going to update the reasonable POB a bit and do some more testing on the best rolls for stat sticks.

What helm enchant is the best?
Helm enchant in builds are usually a non-argument and one is always the best, I wouldn't agree any enchant for SST is better it just depends on the content you're wanting to do, Strictly bossing and feeling fine in clear then go for damage. The faster projectiles enchant works quite nicely if you're stacking a lot of pierce since the secondary shards scale from proj speed in the distance they fire outwards, So a nice option.

The shard enchant might seem amazing to anyone glancing at the build but you have to remember the Threshold jewel 'still' reduces the amount of projectiles, The merc and uber enchant act as a +1 and +2 proj respectively, and i personally would say it's still worth it since with 5 chains you're effectively getting 10 more projectiles spread around the pack and possibly hitting multiple targets with piercing, and 5 more projectiles with the merc enchant. As i've said with a lot of this guide there's no real wrong answer here, the build is versatile and so can your choices.

Is this build 'viable' for uber/normal Atziri?
Yes Well maybe no But yes - See video for more details.
https://youtu.be/F_LjEQzdLAA

Using POB to accurately show dps
While POB is a powerful tool a lot of builds aren't as simple as importing your character and clicking a few checkboxes, This is one that isn't super obvious if you're not familiar in mechanics for the build, I'm going to go over a few things people will miss out on since i've had a few people saying the POB's are still unreasonable since their damage is much much lower.
The single most important thing to 'emulate' in POB is the Divide and conquer Jewel, This is the main reason we actually have some single-target and the whole idea of going Deadeye, To do this is simple you can either grab my example one in the spoiler below and import just that, Or instead modify your already imported jewel the same way.
Double-clicking on the jewel in the "All items" section will bring it into the panel on the right, From there you want to hit "Edit" in there all you want to add is "Skills Chain +1 times" without quotations, You can add this 4 times if you want or change the "+1" to a "+4".

Example Jewel to Copy and paste:
Spoiler
Divide and Conquer
Viridian Jewel
Unique ID: f0ed6ee1eb4846f7a8081c73538d912a0de10994882be175eb13ef8dcff156be
Item Level: 71
LevelReq: 32
Radius: Medium
Limited to: 1
Implicits: 0
15% increased Attack Damage while holding a Shield
With 40 total Dexterity and Strength in Radius, Spectral Shield Throw Chains +4 times
With 40 total Dexterity and Strength in Radius, Spectral Shield Throw fires Shard Projectiles when Chaining
With 40 total Dexterity and Strength in Radius, Spectral Shield Throw fires 75% less Shard Projectiles
Skills Chain +1 times
Skills Chain +1 times
Skills Chain +1 times
Skills Chain +1 times

Next we move onto the configuration which isn't too difficult if you want just go into the POB's i provided and look at what i have checked then copy those over to your config that's fine, if you want to know a breakdown of all things to change then read on.
First you want decide what it is you're doing, Mapping or bossing in my examples i have a Bossing setup, For that you want to take into account that you won't be killing mobs and you won't be chaining, So this means:

-No frenzy charges
-# of times Skill has chained will be 0 (This is the single most important)
-Projectile travel distance (This is a weird one to configure because of the interaction between Point blank and Far shot, It's not a huge amount of damage loss being closer/further away but the sweet spot is 10 units)
-No onslaught (Unless from other sources, maybe an onslaught on frostbomb etc.)
-The enemy being Chilled (Important for hypothermia support)
-The enemy being Shaper/Guardian (Or standard boss, Mostly what changes here is curse effectiveness and possibly resistances? i'm not 100% on the resistances part)
-Are you leeching energy shield? (This is important to show the more damage gained from energy leech support)
-# of skills used recently (This is important for Tailwind stacks, it's hard to tell now since the counter is bugged in-game but this is super important as it gives action speed)
-Do you have flasks active isn't important, but going into "Items" and turning on any flasks is important. (The check box is only going to matter if you have a mod such as "Increased attack speed during flask effect" or something of that kind.)

For mapping you're probably going to have to look into specifics of how your playstyle is, but the obvious things are that you're probably not going to frostbomb every mob in a map, so disabling that. Killing things to gain frenzy's and possibly onslaught ofcourse, Most mobs won't have the "Is the enemy chilled" on the first shield hit so disabling that might be accurate. It's hard to give an explanation to calculate mapping so play around with it and keep things reasonable if you care for optimizing your mapping dps.

Finally to close out the guide i'll be giving a shoutout to all the people stalking my profile through poe.ninja/youtube/reddit, Ocatavian0 for showing off my character in Baeclast and RaizQT for playing SST and actually helping me change some build choices around.
Thanks for all the weird pm's and questions it's made my league fun, I'll be trying to keep this up-to-date as best i can and answer any questions
Caustic Arrow Trickster - /view-thread/2241088
Spectral Shield Throw Deadeye - /view-thread/2548646
Last edited by Pimmalage on Sep 14, 2019, 10:23:51 AM
Last bumped on Nov 1, 2019, 1:59:49 AM
Reserved for idk what
But how do I get legacy shield?
I've been building this at the moment, it seems like the shields have really gone up in price. A shield like the one you have is easily 30-60 ex right now, and even a blank i86 collossal base is 60+ c to start. On top of that the essences got more expensive and a good roll is hard to hit.

It's a fun and viable build but definitely very costly.
"
Magisch wrote:
I've been building this at the moment, it seems like the shields have really gone up in price. A shield like the one you have is easily 30-60 ex right now, and even a blank i86 collossal base is 60+ c to start. On top of that the essences got more expensive and a good roll is hard to hit.

I should add a disclaimer on my shield since it's legacy (Because of stacked quality delve suffix and craft. It was patched on day 2-3 of legion), It's not possible to get as high as mine anymore.
As for the base prices i have no idea what league you're in but, LegionSC they are going for 20c, they have been most of the league (Ofcourse might go up).
With that aside in my reasonable POB i have a 2.3k armour shield which you can beat with some luck and dense fossils easily.
"
Pimmalage wrote:
"
Magisch wrote:

I should add a disclaimer on my shield since it's legacy (Because of stacked quality delve suffix and craft. It was patched on day 2-3 of legion), It's not possible to get as high as mine anymore.
As for the base prices i have no idea what league you're in but, LegionSC they are going for 20c, they have been most of the league (Ofcourse might go up).
With that aside in my reasonable POB i have a 2.3k armour shield which you can beat with some luck and dense fossils easily.

2.5k+ Armour Shields start at 1.4 ex : http://poe.trade/search/oyaramaduganim

I currently got a 2400 armour one which I crafted and with that 2m shaper dps is reachable still, so it still works.

Cheap Budget Options for Weapons include the Princess (for Leveling) or Ewars Mirage (for the extra Chain).
Very nice build and guide.

The build was able to take me through everything in the game. I downed uber elder with like 6k life and 700k PoB dps. Was it easy? no. Was it fun? Hell yea.

Map clear is super fast, for legion encounters you pick a side and you are able to get most of the mobs from that side, and have a bit of time to get some from the other side.A bit squish yes, but a solid life pool and acro/phase acro and fortify are good enough to carry you, just skip the double damage -max maps and you will be fine.

Bossing is nothing stellar. It gets the job done and that's about it. The more mobs around the boss the faster it dies. Too many mobs and some chains miss the boss. It is at least DECENT.

Right now i am just blasting through elder maps trying to up the clear speed of the build. Fork has been very good for that and a shaper mace with enemies explode helps a bit.The proj. pierce craft also helps.

One upgrade the build could get is getting a pair of gloves with the temple mod "increased damage against chilled enemies" followed by crafting the cold conversion mod. Should be a nice dps boost.

Overall really enjoyed the build. SST is a solid skill and doing a pure phys version to start then swapping to the ele one is a good choice.A chieftain version for pure fire is also something interesting to consider.

Nice build TM ~ MMPrisM
"
RthoThePotato wrote:

One upgrade the build could get is getting a pair of gloves with the temple mod "increased damage against chilled enemies" followed by crafting the cold conversion mod. Should be a nice dps boost.

Overall really enjoyed the build. SST is a solid skill and doing a pure phys version to start then swapping to the ele one is a good choice.
Nice build TM ~ MMPrisM

Thanks for the support, And the suggestion is solid i completely forgot about that mod, I'll have to test it out. Build guide needs a lot of work still but glad you're enjoying it.
Edit: Derp you get 40% from the tree, my bad.
Last edited by Glendoor on Jun 20, 2019, 12:12:58 PM
How do you feel about the swap from acrobatics to "armour"?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info