About Close combat support.

I am just wondering why that skill gem cant be used with Claws/Daggers?
most swords have higher weapon range with dagger most of the time having the shortest weapon range. So it does not make sense in a practical stand point.
if its about balancing because of base attack speed of the base types most thrusting swords can reach the same attack speed as claws and higher then daggers. Swords can also use the same movement skills as Axes, Claws and Daggers.

Just wondering why lock this gem out when Claws and Dagger even Maces are still "close combat" and most of the time have shorter weapon ranges.
Decent items?: /view-thread/2260543
Okey stream?:twitch.tv/Meatheone
Feel free to ask me questions ingame @Princess_Mea!
PM support if you encounter any bugs or need help!
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2019, 7:36:36 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
thank god im not the only one pissed about this (but seeing that noone else replied, i guess were just a niche group)

for the past few leagues, new melee gems released are just sword and maces

also, kindof counter intuitive with the line 'more dmg based on proximity' while the melee rework introduced a lot of +1s to weapon range
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
Last edited by xrook on Jun 6, 2019, 11:35:24 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
..I may or may not have made note of this in testing. Totally triggered by the name. Daggers and claws are CLOSER combat than axes and swords. I get why we can't use the gem for mechanic reasons (well, I accept if they want to lock daggers and claws out of the fun, fine), but that name, man.

I proposed a rename to 'Hack and Slash', since, y'know, we hack with axes and slash with swords. Probably too glib and clever (and logical) for TencentGGG. I'm still not over Iron Reflexes (which would result in you being unable to move) or Ethereal Knives (which deal physical damage, i.e. corporeal, not ethereal), truth be told.

Yea i get it if there is a mechanical reason, but swords can use all the same movement as Claws/Daggers to. I just think its abut unfair that some base weapons are being "locked" out of something things that does not make sense.
Lets say you get a 600pdps Claw but you cant use any of the new supports/skills that comes out. It does not bother me to much i will just use some other support gem, but its a small slap in the face every patch that happens.
Naming is confusing for some new gems.

You can "pulverize" and "shockwave" with daggers / claws, which is surprising. But, even though weapons like daggers / claws that tend to puncture effectively often function *better* in close combat than primarily slashing weapons like (most) swords / axes, daggers / claws get locked out anyways.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jun 7, 2019, 4:53:58 AM
GGG does sweeping changes in well-defined areas

since claw/dagger is shadow part of the tree, these got the shaft.

too bad, I was thinking trying something cool with that raise spiders dagger but I cant use any of the new stuff...except cyclone.
"
Naming is confusing for some new gems.

You can "pulverize" and "shockwave" with daggers / claws, which is surprising. But, even though weapons like daggers / claws that tend to puncture effectively often function *better* in close combat than primarily slashing weapons like (most) swords / axes, daggers / claws get locked out anyways.

You can Pulverize, but not Shockwave with daggers :P

The intrigueing part for me is that we desperatly needed a Green Support for some of the Greener gems like Blade Flurry or Reave... and guess what... you cannot use them most of the time. It is even more confusing considering it is one of the few "melee damage" supports that is not fixated on physical damage and also looks like a replacement for fortify as the mobility option and the worst thing is the movementskill working best with Close Combat is Whirling Blades, which doesnt even work with Axes.

So this patch wasn't so much a melee rebalancing as a sword and axe with a little mace rebalancing. I hope they fix Close Combat and allow its usage with Daggers and Claws, because they seem the most desperate ones for this kind of support, because it is one of the few melee supports being green and not requiring super high strength.

The simple answer is that they're trying to give people a reason to use weapons that are currently generally ignored. A perk to using swords and axes. Claws and daggers are quite popular because of the implicits.

Maybe the art boys drew the gem before the brains had any plans on what it'll do and then the release was nearing and they just slapped something on.
"
koratrice wrote:

The simple answer is that they're trying to give people a reason to use weapons that are currently generally ignored. A perk to using swords and axes. Claws and daggers are quite popular because of the implicits.

uhh swords mainly jeweled foils have been more popular then claws even more over daggers. Daggers was only good 2012-2014. I can agree on Axes tho. 30% crit chance is no where as good as 25% - 30% multi. Life gain on hits is just a good quality of life, swords has always been more popular (sometimes more damage to) then any other 1 handed base since statstick DW days.
Last edited by Mea_ on Jun 13, 2019, 7:20:07 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I proposed a rename to 'Hack and Slash'

thats actually a great idea.

Ok with swords, yeah theres still a lot of crit with swords... But I dont think koratrice is entirely wrong.

I think the idea of the gem is to give options for non crit basically. With crit builds you have gems, crit strikes, less so crit multi now days but its still a powerful gem at times, a crit build never really runs out of gems with melee.

Non crit, esp phys, has had a long standing problem of not having gem options. there was a time when u went either faster attacks or later when multistrike was release that took over, and you had melee phys... and seriously at that point u got people going added fire and then weapon elemental damage, just because you got nothing else to scale ur dps.

swords are popular, and usually thrusting crit swords, but heres the thing: swords arnt always crit. How often do you see non crit daggers and claws? If you pick those weapons ur going crit. Swords have a non crit side, so I think this is a kind of duelist centred gem based around giving non crit options, and that means axes and swords.

charan is spot on tho, hack n slash, it sounds savage, that should have been the name for sure.

but I think giving non crit options is important so if thats where theyre going im fine with the implementation.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info