[3.7] The Auto Zomber - Aukuna's Will - Work in progress

2019-06-15 update
Finally got around to making this build. Here are some brief results.

TLDR: Bodyswap not great. CwC setups may be better.

Note: This is about the Bodyswap version.

It works (sort of)!

The zombies don't re-position well, so you can't zoom through maps chaining between zombies. However, the plus side is, if you are just dps-ing one mob, this means the Maligaro's Lens with Necro Aegis works.

But overall, not a zoom-zoom build that I was hoping. Everything else works if your cast speed doesn't exceed CWDT's cooldown (or if you have an extra setup to replenish your zombies).

Also, interesting note while testing this. The sand stone's portion of Flesh and Stone ("You take x% less damage from enemies that aren't nearby...") applies to self-damage. Likely unintended, but interesting. Might try to use this in a different build somehow.

Sorry for the super long delay in this, work and life has been a bit hectic.

Obviously this is pre-patch notes, but I thought these new gloves are one of the few items that are truly unique and I couldn't resist theory crafting a build.

TODO: Add skill trees once 3.7 changes to the tree are made available. Might add some pre-3.7 trees as a guide for those who want to league start as this build.

Main idea:
1. Cast Detonate Dead (DD) or Bodyswap on a Zombie (thanks to the new gloves)
2. Have 2xHeartbound Loops so this Zombie's death triggers at least a level 40 Zombie (Gem level 12) via a level 2 CWDT
3. Compensate for a low-level zombie with the 5000 flat life granted by Montregul's Grasp. With moderate levels of investment, your Zombies easily reach 50k life even with only a level 10 gem.
4. Repeat (really all you repeat is casting Bodyswap/DD/Cremation)

Multiple ways to proc CWDT Zombies

Original idea was to use 2x Heartbound Loops with a level 2 CWDT linked to a gem level 12 Zombie (requires level 40). Note that a level 3 CWDT would also work, but this supports gems that require up to level 42, which the next Zombie level requires level 44, so it is likely safer to have a smaller damage taken threshold.

Alternative ways

1. Use 1x Hearbound Loop and a Gluttony belt with at least a 178 roll on the physical damage taken when using a movement skill. Note that this setup is meant only for the Bodyswap option, which is likely best for clear. Use one of the other options for DD/Cremation. Huge benefit of this setup is we don't have to worry about avoiding armor on gear which can reduce the Heartbound Loop's damage to us.

2. Borrowed from a suggestion in the replies (credit to zixav): use a Scold's Bridle. Note this will still require either one of the other items (Heartbound loop or Gluttony belt) or some increased mana costs from things like the Fevered Mind jewel. Upside is the cast speed modifier may help us stay in line with the CWDT cooldown.

Ascendancy options:

1. Necromancer has lots of free damage and life, plus the caustic cloud seems nice. However, the CWDT less multiplier will make the caustic cloud from zombie death fairly week (currently thinking of a dual Poet's Pen build using Zombies and Bodyswap so I can use max level zombies so I can take advantage of the Caustic Cloud)

2. Elementalist for ignite prolif and ele reflect. Potentially picking up Golem nodes instead of herald nodes since we will be scaling minion life anyways, keeping our golems alive.

3. Others?

Gems

Note: Since this is theorycrafted for 3.7, gems are not fully leveled. But I've always preferred builds with visual gems. Always use fully leveled and qualitied gems unless otherwise specified.
CWDT Zombie setup

For 1x Heartbound Loop plus a Gluttony belt: Use a gem level 1 CWDT and a gem level 11 Zombie (20 quality is ideal)

For 2x Heartbound Loop setup: Use a gem level 2 CWDT and a gem level 12 Zombie (or 1 and 11, respectively, if you have too much armor on gear)

Note: Minion Speed support is optional. This well help hasten the Zombie's ability to position themselves closer to mobs for when you explode them. You could also use Minion and Totem Elemental Resistance support if you notice enemies killing your Zombies before you can (but with all the life investment, this shouldn't happen). Minion Damage is not bad if you are a Necro and want some extra damage from the Caustic Clouds. Enhance is also an option which gives a slight boost to Zombie life. Note that Empower screws up the CWDT level requirement just as a +X to level of socketed minion gems item (tested this again just for this post).

Main skill

I am going to try Bodyswap first (good for clear and allows the Gluttony belt setup option which helps with our life totals, since we only have to sacrifice one ring slot with Gluttony).

Note that Intensify support actually gives more AoE than Increased AoE support. Of less importance is that we won't get more than one intensify stack with Bodyswap due to teleporting causing us to lose all intensify buffs. So just think of this as a slightly better Increase AoE support gem.

Other support gems based on your gear and ascendancy (Hypothermia should ideally only be used on an Elementalist):

Note that Elemental Focus has the usual downside of preventing chills, shocks, and ignites. Also, Controlled Destruction only affects half of the skill (the explosion around your corpse is a spell, but the explosion around your zombie does not benefit from spell damage, only elemental/fire/area damage).

Utility setups and more

Backup movement if Zombies don't do well with ledges (preventing us from using them to teleport over ledges). Also Desecrate to create mass corpses for Bone/Flesh Offering (if we are a Necromancer).

Herald of Ash helps with clear and is especially important as an Elementalist if you get the Herald node. Tempest Shield adds some extra block for defense, and an extra way to apply shocks as an Elementalist. Wave of Conviction helps to increase our damage.

Flesh or Bone Offering if you are a Necromancer. Clarity can be a cheap aura to give us the free bonuses from Commander of Darkness (Necromancer ascendancy).

Herald of Thunder is not bad on an Elementalist since we get free shocks and the buff from this Herald can auto-apply curses for us.

Gear

Required Uniques

Aukuna's Will

Aukuna's Will
Clasped Mitts
Requires Level 31, 25 Dex, 25 Int
+34 to Dexterity
5% increased Cast Speed
135% increased Evasion and Energy Shield
Raised Zombies have 97% increased maximum Life
Raise Zombie does not require a Corpse
Your Raised Zombies count as Corpses

This item is where this build idea came from.

Heartbound Loop

This item is required in at least 2 of the 3 setups to proc Zombies with CWDT

Either use 2 Heartbound Loops or 1 Heartbound Loop and the Gluttony belt
Gluttony

Gluttony
Leather Belt
Requires Level 48
+(25-40) to maximum Life
+(60-80) to maximum Life
Culling Strike against Enemies Cursed with Poacher's Mark
Curse Enemies with Level 30 Poacher's Mark on Hit, which can apply to Hexproof Enemies
Take (100-200) Physical Damage when you use a Movement Skill
You have no Armour or Maximum Energy Shield

My apologies, I couldn't find one in my stash. Note that you want a roll of "Take 178 Physical Damage when you use a Movement Skill" or higher (this plus Heartbound Loop does 528 damage which is what is required to trigger a level 1 CWDT).

This belt is used in the Bodyswap option, which is the first one I am going to try. It will not work in the DD/Cremation main skill options because they are not movement skills.

Technically, the following is not required but is a MASSIVE damage increase because it boosts the base health of our low level Zombies (which are required to stay low level in order to be triggered with CWDT):
Mon'tregul's Grasp

Useful Uniques

Chest options:
Bloodbond

This chest grants lots of life for both us and our Zombies (ignore the socketed gems, I had a well rolled Bloodbond on my old popcorn skeleton build.

Note that while Shroud of the Lightless has a good multiplier for Bodyswap, the Shade Form skill screws up our CWDT setup by making us immune to physical damage (thus preventing the damage of both Heartbound Loop and Gluttony).

Items to avoid

Basalt Flask
Granite Flask
Armor on gear

(these all can reduce the amount of damage taken from Heartbound Loop and other items, making it difficult to properly trigger the CWDT Zombies)

Likely questions with answers

My CWDT is not triggering my zombies. What is going wrong?

Answer 1: Make sure that the required level to use the Zombie gem is not higher than "This gem can only support skill gems requiring level ?? or lower" text on the CWDT gem.

Answer 2: Be careful with +X to level of socketed gems or socketed minion gems, this will affect the level requirements of CWDT. For example: normally, a gem level 2 CWDT works with a gem level 12 Zombie; but if socketed in a +2 to level of socketed minion gems helmet, the Zombie gem counts as a gem level 14 which has a level requirement above that of a gem level 2 CWDT.

Answer 3: Avoid armor on gear and avoid using basalt and granite flasks as this will reduce the damage taken from both Heartbound Loop and Scold's Bridle (note that the Gluttony belt option will remove all your armor which will prevent this issue from happening, except for the basalt flask, that can still cause issues).

Potential concerns or things to keep in mind

Concern 1: No life from rings or gloves for us
Solution 1: Invest elsewhere or use the Gluttony + 1 ring setup

Concern 2: Damage taken on minion death could be tough to out heal
Solution 2: Necro Aegis + Maligaro's Lens (assuming Necro Aegis doesn't get removed, which one image of the passive tree may suggest it might be). Hopefully Bodyswap is quick enough to get us in range of the heal granted by Maligaro's Lens for the Zombie that just died.

Changelog:

2019-05-22: Created
2019-05-24: Added ascendancy options
2019-05-29: Alternatives to proc CWDT added. Also began to format post. Will add images of items and gems soon. Added section at end for other Aukuna's Will build ideas. Added gem setups (note not all gems are fully leveled since this is pre-3.7 theorycrafting). Added unique items.

Other Aukuna's Will build ideas

Bodyswap totems

Use self-casted zombies to direct the totems (potentially as the newly worked Chieftain giving aoe, leech, and ash debuff).

Caustic Cloud auto explosions

This requires a Necromancer. Self-casting high level zombies that deal lots of damage with their Caustic Cloud on death (support gems: minion damage, minion life, void manipulation, swift affliction, increased AoE/concentrated effect). To trigger their death, you either summon past the limit of the number of zombies you can have out. Or you get a weapon with the "Trigger spells when you use a skill" and put in as many different corpse destruction spells as you can which will destroy your Zombies immediately upon creating them (note that many different corpse spells are needed because the craft adds a 4 second cooldown to socketed spells).

Last edited by Deadseeds on Jun 15, 2019, 12:32:18 AM
Last bumped on Sep 5, 2019, 6:08:17 AM
I quite like the idea, especially with casting with CWDT, but did you take into account the 250ms internal cooldown on CWDT?
'You know why I enjoy Math? If something doesn't exist we simply create it.'
Yeah, two options for the CWDT cooldown.

1. Don't have a DD/Bodyswap/etc... cast time below 0.25 seconds
2. Have a second zombie setup off CWDT so you can stack up a supply of Zombies, Unleash works well here with no drawback other than a link (although this will happen naturally as you map and take damage)
Last edited by Deadseeds on May 23, 2019, 3:51:29 PM
Just for your info, instead of two rings you can go for Scold's Bridle.
"
zixav wrote:
Just for your info, instead of two rings you can go for Scold's Bridle.

Not a bad idea. And the reduced cast speed may help so I don't cast faster than the CWDT cooldown.

Another idea I had was to use a level 1 CWDT and use Gluttony belt with only 1 ring. This is probably the best option for more life (since both a second ring and Scold's provide no life).
Hi, How do you plan on countering the phy damage you will be taking? Is Maligaro's Lens enough? I feel it wont be 100% effective and result in you getting killed as you will have to be next to the zombies when they die.

What other damage mitigation would you add?

I have idea for a build and its either go jugg for the uber regen you get from unbreakable or go necro for the zombie clouds. At this point jugg wins for the life aspect. Jugg also offers free max endurance charges because the ring damage counts as a hit and you get 30% chance of charge per hit.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Currently running a Incinerate - CWC - Volatile Dead build and have to use Desecrate for bosses.
After searching a bit I landed here, may a
Incierate/Scorching Ray - CWC - Raise Zombie - Volatile Dead
work?
I found a CWC as Shaper mod Scepter.
"
Spao69 wrote:
Hi, How do you plan on countering the phy damage you will be taking? Is Maligaro's Lens enough? I feel it wont be 100% effective and result in you getting killed as you will have to be next to the zombies when they die.

What other damage mitigation would you add?

I have idea for a build and its either go jugg for the uber regen you get from unbreakable or go necro for the zombie clouds. At this point jugg wins for the life aspect. Jugg also offers free max endurance charges because the ring damage counts as a hit and you get 30% chance of charge per hit.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response, real life sucked up my pre-launch time.

Be careful with Jugg and endurance charges. The reduced physical damage per endurance charge will impact your CWDT setup.

I am still theorycrafting while I get currency with my league starter, but right now I am leaning towards a MoM trickster since movement skills will be free so we shouldn't be spending any mana during combat. I might start leveling that in a day or two. Maligaro's should be enough if you are in range, I'll test that soon as well.
Last edited by Deadseeds on Jun 10, 2019, 2:14:11 PM
"
Pompeij wrote:
Currently running a Incinerate - CWC - Volatile Dead build and have to use Desecrate for bosses.
After searching a bit I landed here, may a
Incierate/Scorching Ray - CWC - Raise Zombie - Volatile Dead
work?
I found a CWC as Shaper mod Scepter.

Careful with linking too many skills, need some damage supports. But if the damage is fine, I'd still have the concern that VD wants 3 corpses but Zombies only create one at a time. I would suggest a spell totem with Unearth setup to create additional corpses. However, this is normally the solution for the original build you had.

The other option is to try Bodyswap (as this only needs 1 corpse/zombie) to leap around as you channel. Note, this should not interrupt your incinerate so it will remain at full strength as you bodyswap around the map.
Last edited by Deadseeds on Jun 10, 2019, 2:39:45 PM
wont the Barron helm be a great source for re-summoning zombies?, as you will always have a +1 per 300 str
Last edited by Urikuri on Jun 11, 2019, 12:39:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info