Stress Free PoE| CURSIN’ VORTEX |ANY Items Work|Easy/Relaxing Play|Easily Clears the Atlas [3.6]

Darn.

"The Occultist now only has a single Energy Shield based notable, with a condensed and limited version of the previous Energy Shield notables. The ability for energy shield to be uninterruptible if recovery has started recently has moved to a new Keystone found near the Witch, making the mechanic available to a broader selection of characters, though with a new downside."
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
"
Darn.

"The Occultist now only has a single Energy Shield based notable, with a condensed and limited version of the previous Energy Shield notables. The ability for energy shield to be uninterruptible if recovery has started recently has moved to a new Keystone found near the Witch, making the mechanic available to a broader selection of characters, though with a new downside."

this was expected once they mentioned wicked ward moving to keystone, they would not have the redundancy on the occultist tree as well, thus allowing someone to play another ascendancy with the ability to take the keystone. if the passive is irreplaceable and required for the build, then we just have to manage the downsides, which are manageable (generic nerfs to ES regen). since notables have changed we'll just have to see what the new tree offers, it may require some reshuffling but I don't see anything that breaks the build's viability. we just need to build more defensively to make up for the loss in ES/regen, potentially sacrificing some dps, but that's a small issue.
Spoiler
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:
"
Darn.

this was expected once they mentioned wicked ward moving to keystone, they would not have the redundancy on the occultist tree as well, thus allowing someone to play another ascendancy with the ability to take the keystone. if the passive is irreplaceable and required for the build, then we just have to manage the downsides, which are manageable (generic nerfs to ES regen). since notables have changed we'll just have to see what the new tree offers, it may require some reshuffling but I don't see anything that breaks the build's viability. we just need to build more defensively to make up for the loss in ES/regen, potentially sacrificing some dps, but that's a small issue.
For sure. That's a very positive outlook. Thank you! I was just hoping to get this guide out nice and quick for everyone but it looks like I'll have to take some time to redo the tree. Redoing the tree also means stripping all the gems from the build and rebuilding it, as the gems and the tree are always intertwined. It's no big deal, but it might mean I don't have the guide ready for 3.7's release. It might be a day or two late depending on how generous my personal life is with time.

Thanks for the encouragement :-). I'll get my 3 guides ready to go as soon as possible!

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
Last edited by Wrecker_of_Days on Jun 4, 2019, 3:46:23 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the time spent! Glad I found it. Look forward to seeing the revisions.
"
5clubs wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for the time spent! Glad I found it. Look forward to seeing the revisions.
Hey 5clubs,

You're very welcome! Thanks for taking the time to be thankful! I'm really curious how it'll turn out with the changes mentioned in the Manifesto yesterday. I'll be figuring out my guides starting tonight after I've scoured the patch notes. I'll post the links to the new threads in these current 3.6 guides.

Thanks again!

Annnnnd

"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:
...also, how the hell do you have that gear with that much currency haha. time to upgrade man, I've never had a mirror in my life...
I totally forgot to respond to this part. Sorry! Ha Ha. Ya, the Mirror was pretty surprising. I luckily was broadcasting at the time too. It drives some of my friends nuts that I spend so long gawking at it once it dropped instead of just picking it up right away. I got it on console too so you can imagine what some of the offers I get on it are.

I like to play SSF in heart but I like to sell things. So I stick to Standard or League but don't buy gear for myself. I'll use my currency to craft when I find something worth a large investment. Until then it'll just be the small additions. But I think that once I have my five guides done and down pat I'll be able to play more and not worry about saving as much :).

But like GGG just said in their Manifesto yesterday, if I can have crap gear and still crush the Atlas, maybe Wicked Ward was a little too strong after all ;).

Thanks again for your great posts.

Annnnnd

Hey, just wanted to give some feedback. :)

Played something very similar to this in 3.6 and absolutely loved it. I tried two different paths to see which would feel just right, and I've got to say both were great although slightly different.

My first attempt (character name "Cerivo") followed your suggested build more or less. I ended up with 3 curses, CI, between 9-11k ES depending on gear and it felt snappy and safe to map with. Profane Bloom really is awesome. She has my garbage SSF gear equipped if you're curious.
Got lucky and found the sceptre in the Lab, and that improved things a lot. The Fur Shawl dropped randomly while mapping and I managed to link it with about 400 fusings. Good times! The rest is just random crafted garbage, nothing noteworthy. I like to keep things simple, and I heavily dislike trading, so yeah.

Then I made a second char ("Cerife") which went the Frigid Wake route instead because I wanted to farm Delve and all those chills and freezes drive me insane and I couldn't find a Dream Fragments.. So let's make a new char!
This character used only 2 curses (I dropped Enfeeble) and mostly the same gear. She's naked now, sorry, but the tree is untouched.

The main difference to your build is I dropped the curse cluster left of the scion because quite frankly I didn't need them and it's quite a few points to get there. Instead, I grabbed Fingers of Frost in the top right, Frost Walker and some random damage nodes I found enticing, and overall that is quite a significant DPS upgrade. Totally worth it, for me anyway.
My second char also dropped Elemental Overload due to the updated Controlled Destruction (0% crit chance) and you have to grab quite a few crit nodes to make it proc regularly. I didn't feel like it was worth it so I simply skipped it. With better gear I'm sure it's still viable, though.

One big difference also is that I skipped your Bonechill setup and used Shield Charge with Fortify instead. The speed boost and safety that comes with that is unbeatable for my playstyle.

All in all, Frigid Wake is faster and has better damage, but it's not as safe as the Malediction tri-curse route for obvious reasons. For general mapping I'd go Malediction for sure, because of Profane Bloom. Frigid Wake felt absolutely awesome in Delve, though. :)

The one downside I have is that I'm relying on being hit to curse enemies, and that's quite the opposite of my normal gameplay. I'm used to playing evasion/dodge characters, Caustic Arrow is a long-time favorite, and manually dodging stuff is what I do best. :)

But yeah, overall a great build, and truly stress-free. 10/10. :)

Sadly we're getting nerfed pretty heavily in 3.7, it might be quite a bit harder to get to the same ES levels. I'm going to try, though, but likely not my first build. I levelled both my chars as ES from level 1, and went CI super early. The way the Occultist was, it was actually possible. Now, not so much. I probably need to farm some decent gear before attempting this again. :)
"
Ceri wrote:

Played something very similar to this in 3.6 and absolutely loved it. I tried two different paths to see which would feel just right, and I've got to say both were great although slightly different.

My first attempt (character name "Cerivo") followed your suggested build more or less. I ended up with 3 curses, CI, between 9-11k ES depending on gear and it felt snappy and safe to map with. Profane Bloom really is awesome. She has my garbage SSF gear equipped if you're curious.
Got lucky and found the sceptre in the Lab, and that improved things a lot. The Fur Shawl dropped randomly while mapping and I managed to link it with about 400 fusings. Good times! The rest is just random crafted garbage, nothing noteworthy. I like to keep things simple, and I heavily dislike trading, so yeah.

Then I made a second char ("Cerife") which went the Frigid Wake route instead because I wanted to farm Delve and all those chills and freezes drive me insane and I couldn't find a Dream Fragments.. So let's make a new char!
This character used only 2 curses (I dropped Enfeeble) and mostly the same gear. She's naked now, sorry, but the tree is untouched.

The main difference to your build is I dropped the curse cluster left of the scion because quite frankly I didn't need them and it's quite a few points to get there. Instead, I grabbed Fingers of Frost in the top right, Frost Walker and some random damage nodes I found enticing, and overall that is quite a significant DPS upgrade. Totally worth it, for me anyway.
My second char also dropped Elemental Overload due to the updated Controlled Destruction (0% crit chance) and you have to grab quite a few crit nodes to make it proc regularly. I didn't feel like it was worth it so I simply skipped it. With better gear I'm sure it's still viable, though.

One big difference also is that I skipped your Bonechill setup and used Shield Charge with Fortify instead. The speed boost and safety that comes with that is unbeatable for my playstyle.

All in all, Frigid Wake is faster and has better damage, but it's not as safe as the Malediction tri-curse route for obvious reasons. For general mapping I'd go Malediction for sure, because of Profane Bloom. Frigid Wake felt absolutely awesome in Delve, though. :)

The one downside I have is that I'm relying on being hit to curse enemies, and that's quite the opposite of my normal gameplay. I'm used to playing evasion/dodge characters, Caustic Arrow is a long-time favorite, and manually dodging stuff is what I do best. :)

Sadly we're getting nerfed pretty heavily in 3.7, it might be quite a bit harder to get to the same ES levels. I'm going to try, though, but likely not my first build. I levelled both my chars as ES from level 1, and went CI super early. The way the Occultist was, it was actually possible. Now, not so much. I probably need to farm some decent gear before attempting this again. :)

hey there dont mean to be rude to the OP and his thread. definitely not trying to hijack it, but if you're interested we have an ongoing discussion as to how to build this for 3.7. it's definitely viable.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2290313/page/177

the build in this thread doesnt play a curse playstyle, but the points of discussion regarding how to build vortex occultist for 3.7 are all relevant. if you're interested.
"
SonsOfKorhal wrote:

hey there dont mean to be rude to the OP and his thread. definitely not trying to hijack it, but if you're interested we have an ongoing discussion as to how to build this for 3.7. it's definitely viable.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2290313/page/177

the build in this thread doesnt play a curse playstyle, but the points of discussion regarding how to build vortex occultist for 3.7 are all relevant. if you're interested.

Hey there! :)

Yeah I saw that now. Interesting, thank you. I will definitely take a look and plan something because I don't really feel like playing ED/Contagion right now, and melee isn't really my thing. Vortex is SO good at delving too, which I enjoy a great deal.

Like you guys were pondering, I think the road ahead is to skip Vile Bastion and just go Malediction + Frigid Wake. With the nerfed Vile Bastion, you're only getting a max of 10% regen and Malediction = 10% reduced damage. Evens out pretty much, and then you get the curse stuff for free. The power charge route feels weak to me, but maybe I'm missing something.. 9% spell damage per charge seems marginal at best, and the crit, well, is the idea to facilitate proccing EO? In that case I can see it being worth it.

I'm also interested in seeing what this build becomes in 3.7. Let's hope @Wrecker_of_Days is busy planning, too. :)
Spoiler
"
Ceri wrote:

Hey Ceri,

Great post! Thanks for the feedback! I love hear how other people play and/or change my builds.

Even though the Defensive side is taking a bit of a hit with 3.7 updates, I'm thinking that this build is going to be much stronger than the previous one. (I'll hopefully finish the 3.7 guide tonight.) Completely cutting out Wicked Ward from the Ascendancy means we have another ascendancy node to pick from! And only damage nodes are left. Plus we'll still get Wicked Ward! Obviously not the old version though :(.

Let me know what you think of the new version once you see it. Thanks for the great post!

Annnnnd

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info