Unleash Support

This feedback is larger than just a review of Unleash Support. Its goal is to illuminate the condition of the selfcaster in 3.9 from the perspective of someone who makes builds for personal use and why this gem is just inadequate at tackling the inefficiency of the play style.

Here's what I'm willing to say of my Metamorph character, with no sort of deceitful omissions on my part:

Spoiler
My character is level 92.75. I will be pushing to 94 for one last jewel slot.

On paper at least, my build is extremely tanky. I have 75% to elemental resists (not chaos). I make use of Glancing Blows from the Lethal Pride timeless jewel, Max Block + Spell Block with Rumi's Concoction (mid 50s to 60s block stats otherwise), 3955 Evasion, Fortify, 40% MoM, Brine King and I have positive chaos res (before amethyst flask) with the potential for max chaos res vs. Chaos DoT with Arakaali Pantheon and Atziri's unique flask.. My EHP is close to 8k. It should go without saying, but I do use a shield with a wand. I specifically have Phase Acrobatics and another 10% to both Dodge stats from Omeyocan. My build has a consistent source of mana gain, contains life leech, regens somewhere between 5 to 8% life a second and also has a massive amount of ES Leech/Recovery. I also have Elemental Ailment Avoidance from Elemancer. I have flasks for anti-curse and anti-bleed with a substitute flask for poison or for ele weakness maps. CWDT - Tempest Shield - IC - Wave of Conviction together. No endurance charges, 3 power charges, no frenzy charges.

My build can kill Shaper for sure, I've facetanked Minotaur and I killed most of the Shaper guardians so far. Elder and Uber Elder might be doable but I don't particularly enjoy spending exorbitant amounts of currency just for an attempt so those fights are not in my interest. I've killed the i83 Mastermind easily and I would have killed A8 Sirus before the changes to the storms had I not been nervous and clumsy during the fight (left him at 1% HP or less).

My build, as tanky as it is, can only put out roughly 623k Shaper DPS in the most ideal conditions (auras, curses, exposures, Vaal RF, etc), i.e everything hits and I have flask uptime. The actual calculation of this is a tad difficult and may have a margin of error between 8 to 10%. Practical scenarios may have more margin of error because of Slower Projectiles support lowering my effective range against moving bosses. The spell I use with Unleash Support is Ball Lightning in a 6 link containing Spell Echo, and by my calculations the max DPS I could obtain in ideal conditions is 835k, +-10% DPS, maybe another +10% with a GG Watcher's Eye, possibly a bit more with an actual lab enchant. I assumed two specific max level awakened supports and left out a level 21 Ball Lightning in my estimate so the ceiling is a tad higher than first expected.

I can't forget to mention this either -- I realized in writing all this that I never actually factored in the Less Damage modifier spells have when they Reoccur through Unleash Seals at any point in my theorycrafting. So my DPS minimum and maximum is lower than what I wrote out by roughly 20% by default, and the previous margin of error stated is still an additional factor as well.

My current build has an anoint in the form of Thunderous Salvos. I don't use EE for more damage and didn't factor it into a DPS ceiling because using it in this build would be catastrophically impractical in the form that I could use it (at least, as of this writing). I would have another 100-150k DPS from a perfectly positioned and manipulated Orb of Storms. I have roughly 40-42% Lightning Penetration against a Shaper tier boss, assuming they aren't hexproof. I can swap in Lightning Pen for another 37%.

Should anyone have actually read the entire spoiler, I am confident they would have a very thorough understanding of my build, even if the implementation of all those things isn't crystal clear. So now, I will begin.

To put it simply, Unleash Support sucks. Unleash is bad because it is a very superficial QoL change for self casters. I completely understand that it fixes the most complained about aspect of self casting for a brief moment; the fact that one must stand still to do damage. At bosses, this support gem does make a real difference; it makes fights safer. In mapping, I enjoy it for map clear or safe "run and gun" style play on harder maps. After playing with it enough and looking at other gems GGG created since its inception, I see a two-fold problem with Unleash Support. There's an additional QoL change I'll list as a third problem.

Click the spoiler below to see the meat of my complaint against Unleash in its current state:

Spoiler
[1] Unleash Support does not reward aggression as a self-caster in any way. This gem almost punishes it, even. I can think of a lot of fights I had in Metamorph league where I actually could just stand still and just spam my spell. Not just Metamorphs, but actual bosses too ranging from map bosses to Shaper/Elder Guardians. In those cases, with roughly 5 casts a second in my build, Unleash Support is just a 20% More Damage modifier... With literally nothing else going for it. Its usefulness is just so binary in real game scenarios where simply waiting for 3-4 seals has a steep opportunity cost; Should I take too long waiting for seals to be "optimal" with the gem, I am actually just wasting my real time.

[2] Unleash Support does not reward safe play in any way beyond DPS Uptime and player recovery from successfully landed hits (healing, leech, etc). It's great to maintain DPS against bosses or other difficult content, there is no denying that. That is part of why Traps, Mines, Totems, Minions and DoT style builds have always been the hotness, beyond just their mighty damage. These kinds of builds are very safe and Unleash closes the distance a tad.

But, it feels shallow and frankly boring that there are no other kinds of benefits for using this support gem. Safety is a weak gimmick in this game where the newest hottest league content tends to contain monsters or bosses capable of killing you instantly regardless of how well you dodged or leeched the minutes before. Where bosses can regenerate ES and negate the usefulness of "safety in a gem" by making fights intrinsically longer and more prone to human error.

Unleash doesn't have to be OP to be "good" in my eyes, it just needs to reward the selfcaster for interacting with the game more. The whole hit-and-run style of Unleash only holds up well when the bosses or mobs in question have less than 10 million HP. Otherwise, the gameplay loop starts to feel unrewarding and tiresome, especially when one factors in how unrewarding Shaper-tier bosses or even Map Metamorph bosses tend to be. At least in my own experience, I got to a point where I started to wonder why I bothered using Unleash at all when a simple More Damage gem would be more useful in almost all possible iterations of gameplay.

To better understand how Unleash is so shallow as a gem, look at Inspiration Support, look at Infused Channeling Support. They were clearly inspired creations (no pun intended) by a thoughtful designer. Not only does Inspiration Support reduce mana costs, it grants you a variable amount of More Elemental Damage and Critical Strike Chance depending on how much mana you've spent in the last ten seconds. If you spend too much, your extra benefit is reset to its minimum. It's clearly complex and comes with situational benefits that may one day prove essential to some special build. Infused Channeling has a similar motif -- the player channels a spell, meets a condition, and is rewarded with a wide variety of buffs whose benefits may not always be useful but are nonetheless appreciated when they are actually relevant.

Those are only a handful of support gems GGG has made in an effort to make better gameplay for certain kinds of builds or classes. Feeding Frenzy and Deathmark were so good they broke an entire class for two leagues straight. So clearly, GGG is capable of more generous implementations of QoL support for selfcasting.

This spoiler below contains my suggestion for improving Unleash and making selfcast builds more attractive:

Spoiler
With the previous spoiler's knowledge in mind, we have a GGG-approved schematic for what Unleash could look like. That is to say, we meet some kind of a condition, we are given some kind of buff or buffs outside of the main function of the support gem and the buffs may or may not have a limited duration.

Here is my suggestion for making Unleash a more comprehensive support gem without breaking it by suggesting something simple like "haha more damage or seals lmao". It's by no means the only way to make the gem better, it is just what I think of as a polished draft for a universal solution.

If the player's seals do not fully restock within (single seal replenishment time * number of seals - (minus some arbitrary amount of time to make the condition more reasonable, if necessary)), the player gains a buff called Excitement Unleashed. This buff lasts for the same amount of time as the player normally requires to fully restock their total number of seals, more or less. Excitement Unleashed grants the player 1-3% (tweak-able number, decimals are fine) movement speed per stack, stack limit being determined by their maximum limit of Unleash Seals.

This buff would also grant one or two other benefits, such as a small amount of Dodge, Evasion, Travel Skill Cooldown Reduction or Stun/Block Recovery. I think that Movement Speed + Dodge fits the motif of calculated aggression well, personally. But there are other fun alternative things that could be tried, like making the buff reward Action Speed for some undetermined duration. Another possible QoL suggestion would be to partially reduce the penalty of Unleash for reoccurring spells with this suggested buff mechanic. This last bit is just a personal complaint since the folks over at GGG seem to want people to build tankier and I don't feel like I have an enjoyable amount of damage or damage potential for how hard I've worked to set up such a tanky build. I don't think that my experience is representative of all Unleash uses however, since I know for a fact the whole 1h + shield playstyle is extremely atavistic and not optimal for damage.

To wrap things up after my suggestion, here is my final and smallest personal complaint about the Unleash Support Gem. You have to actually look at the skill bar to know when your seals have restocked. It would be better if either each seal had a sound effect to signify they've restocked or if a special sound/visual effect played whenever the player fully reloaded their Seals.

Last edited by Moerlin on Jan 11, 2020, 11:34:10 AM
I hope someone at GGG is looking at this. I couldn't find any instances of this gem being used effectively for this league. I'm not sure why this gem was designed with an innate drawback if the intent was to close the gap for selfcasters. The reality is that the top builds stack an immense number of more multipliers with the minimal investment possible while maximizing defenses, and this gem does not support that concept. Even spell echo is seeing less use, as the prospect of less damage, or even gems that don't add more damage, is too expensive of a trade-off.

Spell echo and Unleashed both need to add more damage or include an incredibly powerful alternative. More damage in the form of secondary/tertiary affects like recasts are not powerful enough as they don't support current builds in their quest to reach critical mass.
I won't elaborate on a build, because I discarded it. I wanted to make a storm call build with this, and found two problems:

1- Reduced skill effect duration don't affect it. Please reconsider it.
2- Numbers don't deliver, it's only reasonable to swap gems for DPS (so against bosses), and makes clearing clunky. When is it supposed to be used?

Seal Mender does sound attractive. A two sockets large cluster jewel and two Megalomaniac for 90% increased seal gain frequency leaves you with 1.02 seconds to load for a total 376% base damage, or 368% damage/s. (Awakened unleash).

For a spell with 0.5s base cast rate (like the Storm Call I wanted to do), Awakened spell echo casts 3.5 times per second, with an effective damage multiplier of -7%. Applying the cast speed is 326% base damage/s.

It's a lot of investment (3 cluster jewels, 9 passives) to barely break even.

I think it would be ideal for less/reduced skill duration to work with unleash. And to do it multiplicative with Seal Mender (Seal mender have diminishing returns, even if you got 9 of them won't be that good).
Self-casting in this game is so weak in comparison to triggering or letting mines, totems, minions, etc. do the damage for you; even worse is that you don't even use any mana or significantly less. Ironically with Archmage Support, which is supposed to be for self-casting, one of the best ways to use it is with brands which is basically letting something else cast for you.

There should definitely be buffs and incentives to self-cast and this support gem could definitely help with that. The way it is now, it is almost pointless for both clearing and bosses. For normal mobs, unleashing 4 spells is overkill, while the long-term DPS of constantly casting a spell supported by this is weaker than most other alternative supports.

This support seems like it should really focus on boss killing. In order to do that, the number of maximum seals should be increased quite significantly. It should give 2 different spells similar to how vaal skills work. One would be the normal spell, while the other is the spell with all of the seals. That way, you would have more control over when you want to unleash. But rather than building up seals over time, you gain a seal every time you hit an enemy with the normal spell. So basically, you would be building up damage as you hit with the spell and then waiting to unleash when the extra damage is actually meaningful.

Another possible mechanic would be to apply a temporary stack-able debuff to a monster each time you hit it with the normal spell. Then once you decide to unleash, the spell would repeat for each stack on the target, and each repeat would do X% more damage than the previous repeat. This would give it exponentially more damage the more times you hit a specific monster rather than being able to gain seals off of weaker ones. Plus since the stacks would only be removed on hitting the target, accidentally missing wouldn't be as punishing.
I had high hopes for this gem but it just doesn't do anything of worth except for some edge cases. My hopes was that it would make skills hit hard enough with the added cooldown that you'd be able to nuke things heavily with an alternate skill, but no not really.

I tried playing an "elementalist" hierophant with 3 different unleash spells and I wanted to use The Taming (that I never got) to utilize the elemental ailments from all of them. The build was something like this before I gutted it: https://pastebin.com/ExRnsHmf (PoB pastebin)

Of course I realize this build was bad, but I enjoyed it during leveling a lot. It has too many skills so there's no room for things to boost my damage, but even so the concept of unleash here just did nothing of worth. I had 2 skills with unleash, and one without (cold snap) and I just rotated between them and had Storm Call as my single target go to skill. But there was just no reason to do this because I would have simply done more damage without unleash and just using 1 skill.

Regular cast speed is so high that pressing the unleash button isn't even really much faster than just casting normally so you don't really get a boost and you could have just had some passive damage enhancing setup like more auras or whatever instead of trying to use unleash in link. The only use for Unleash as far as I can tell is to burst entire packs down if you can hit them all consistently, or to trigger some skills that aren't really meant for damage and rather some other effect, but I can't even think of any at the moment.
I'd like to see Unleash work on channeled gems as well; with each seal providing something like 25% of the max stages, or more cast speed per stage. Skills like Flameblast have largely fallen out of favor for handcasting, and Unleash provides a solid basis to bring it and skills like it back into the forefront.

Divine Ire would probably need to be adjusted to 10 stages in light of this.
I ragged on this gem many months ago and now that I've experimented with it again I thought I should give feedback on it again. What's become apparent to me is that I underestimated its usefulness to self-casting.

In fact, I think most people have. It won't easily get you to Shapers Per Second DPS but as it is right now Unleash can enable builds that deal with anything in the game. Why you'd play with Unleash rather than just going Vortex is still beyond me though. Self-casting is pretty much always going to be inferior to automated options.

I did not fully appreciate Unleash until I went and tried it with the new Void Sphere skill. Now I can appreciate Unleash as the cornerstone of a series of support gems that have given a quality-of-life enhancement up to lots of fun builds I used to think would only be possible with extreme investment because of how tedious and unfunny self-casting used to be when you weren't wearing godlike gear that would trivialize everything. And I'm not even much of a zoomer player, my standards are not exhaustively high - I played a super tanky scion last league that had piss poor clear but could kill any boss.
Last edited by Moerlin on Jan 10, 2021, 11:21:29 AM
This skill locks the character in place for about 5 minutes. It does not specify any cast speed decrease in the description. Locking toons in place seems to defeat the purpose of the skill and is fundamentally incompatible with Path of Exile.
It would be great if unleash had a visual effect on the character so you don't have to look at the skill on the bar or top left buff. Since seals are shared it wouldn't matter if you had multiple skills linked with unleash in the setup but if it was related to whether people want to have it, a support mtx would be nice. eventually you get the timing after playing with it for a while but it would be nice to have the visual without having to look away from what is happening to check.
You nerfed Unleash way too hard and I don't even know why.

I assume some player put it to (too) good use and you decided "Nah, this just won't do. Let us nuke this support gem into oblivion so that no one may have fun or see slight success with it."

It's now a pure waste of a support gem slot. But it's such a shame, because Unleash is very fun to use.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info