What are oprtimal support gems to link a fire trap with ?

im studying and revising my fire summoner witch to make it just fire witch with fire traps

already have some burning passives and gear

but would like to know from other pro players what are the best support gems to use with fire traps

i dont have crit passives so increased crit damage is out of the equation

should i put chance to ignote or added lightning damage

also if I add life leech, do i earn life leech from the burning damage ? or just the explotion?
Last edited by jazf on Mar 9, 2013, 2:08:38 PM
Added lightning damage only applies on the explosion, so it is pretty terrible. The best things to link depend on what you want to do with it. Do you consider it a boss killer, or a primary AoE ability? If the former, link concentrated effect, if the latter, link increased area of effect. If you link a second support, go with either chance to ignite or duration. Since you have the burning passives I'd probably go chance to ignite.

So you'd have a 4-link that was basically fire trap, fire trap, concentrated effect, chance to ignite.

If you go the AoE route, elemental proliferation also isn't a bad thing to link, so fire trap, fire trap, increased AoE, elemental proliferation. That will mostly ignite everything in a wide range, with every trap.

That's what I use on my fire trap witch, currently level 74. I started out as a crit based fireball build and transitioned to fire trap in merciless, and dropped most of my crit nodes for health and regular fire/spell/elemental damage nodes. It works really well in pretty much any situation except occasionally trying to throw traps through doorways bugs out. I can kill Kole with a single fire trap in Lunaris if it crits, and I've two shot various 66 and 67 map bosses, so concentrated effect isn't even required to do high single target dps (as long as you're using Searing Touch I suppose).
I recommend Fire Penetration and Concentrated Effect. The latter gives a simply monstrous damage boost and you hardly notice the reduced area. My Fire Trap has 2000 dps at level 60 and I am a Lightning/Summoner Witch! (ie have no boosts at all to Spell Damage or Fire)
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
Last edited by GhostlightX on Mar 9, 2013, 8:44:07 PM
I'm currently trying to 5L my 6S searing touch to be able to run:

Fire Trap
Elemental Proliferation
Chance to Ignite
Fire Penetration
Increased Area of Effect (leave this off if you only have 4L)

This build runs off the ignite damage. Your power is 1 BIG fire damage hit every 8 seconds so you need to make it count. With nodes and searing touch you are looking at +150% burning damage (170% with quality trap) so with a non-Q trap your ignite does 3 + 1/3rd the initial damage over 4 seconds. With elemental proliferation, increased AOE and chance to ignite you are basically assured every mob within a decent AOE gets ignited. With fire penetration you get a larger initial hit (which is what determines burn amount). A number of the support gems increase burn duration if they are quality, this is also very desirable (at 150% burn damage 30% increased duration is equal to the fire trap explosion damage).

Something to be careful of is that ignite is double taxed by fire resistance (initial hit then burn tax) so using Flammability + Elemental Weakness in a double curse build is something to look at. The fire penetration gem will not reduce fire resistance on the burn portion of the damage. If you reduce a mobs resistance to less then 0% then burn gets double the benefit (for example a 100 damage hit at -50% is 150 damage, ignite with 0% extra burn does 1/3rd a second so 50 damage +50% = 75 damage per second).

Additionally crit chance is something to look into since it increases ignite chance on single mobs (i.e. bosses), also crits are your biggest hits so it is very nice that every crit ignites.

If by chance I 6L before I 5L then I am considering either a 2nd trap gem or putting my molten shell in the 6th slot.

EDIT: 4L setup

Trying to 5L this one

Last edited by Dman85 on Mar 9, 2013, 9:03:32 PM
"
GhostlightX wrote:
I recommend Fire Penetration and Concentrated Effect. The latter gives a simply monstrous damage boost and you hardly notice the reduced area. My Fire Trap has 2000 dps at level 60 and I am a Lightning/Summoner Witch! (ie have no boosts at all to Spell Damage or Fire)

Something seems odd here. I am level 60, have my Fire Trap in a Searing Touch (so it would be 2 levels higher then yours), I have a total of 87% spell/fire damage on gear, 71% ele/fire damage from skills and 20% increased area damage for a total of 177% damage. My fire trap lists as 1950dps.

Concentrated effect is 60% damage so I fail to see how without any other boosts it does 2k.

EDIT: Even checked my maths, my gem is level 15 but effectively level 17 (495-742) and it does 1376-2036 and that is pretty much exactly what it should do for my level of spell damage.
Last edited by Dman85 on Mar 9, 2013, 9:00:56 PM
mine does 1535-2315

with concentrated effect gem it does 2517-3774

i am level57 fire witch and have almost all fire bonuses from the witch side (missing maybe 2) as you can see on my build passive tree

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAW8C4wdjB6UMfRB_EVAR2xJpFVAXHBzcHwInqSycLKYy0TbFNtg3ZjeDOBs74TyOPV9Eq0kbSbJSU1WuVyttGXF5c1N4un_GghCESIdlj0aPppMnl4WboZwtna6fe6KjpuunCKcrr7e4k7vWwcXB88Ntxp7Q0Ngk2t3fsOL35oHquuvu7BjsVfFs

with the firetrap level15 +2 from socket (searing touch)

and concentrated effect level14, none of these are quality.

my searing touch stats are: 50% spell damage, 34%fire damage, 70%burning damage (can anyone tell me how to link items on a thread?)

and have an amulet of 14% spell damage, and thats it. no other spell damage bonuses or fire bonuses.

ANOTHER QUESTION anyone:

Do item quantity and item rarity's bonuses (when linked to fire trap) apply when a monster dies by being burned when walking on the fire trap? (note that im not saying burning damage, which is different type of damage)
Last edited by jazf on Mar 9, 2013, 9:21:26 PM
Wow it seems concentrated effect is applied multiplicative with other spell damage.

For example lets say you have 100 damage with +50% spell damage and another 50% from concentrated effect then you get 100 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25 instead of 100 * (1+0.5+0.5) like other spell damage increases.
"
Dman85 wrote:
Wow it seems concentrated effect is applied multiplicative with other spell damage.
That is correct, that's why it is so great.

almost 7k dps :)

i use this as a last hit to benefit the mf ..
Last edited by benitoo1 on Mar 10, 2013, 5:41:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info