[3.5] Indigon Winter Orb- 3M Shaper DPS |Deathless U.Elder, T16 easy farm|

*Updated videos- added 2mins U.Elder video at bottom
*Updated gear section

Introduction

Hi, first time writing a guide here so pls bear with me. This is the 3rd char I made this season. Started with pathfinder indigon poet pen VD, then switched to this season's meta elementalist winter orb. While the elementalist build is top notch on clear speed, what I didn't quite like that the damage on bosses and tankiness felt lacking at times. This build is designed as a all rounder to farm T16 guardians and U.Elder consistently deathless. SIngle target damage is much higher while map clear speed for me is fast enough with herald of ice + quicksilver + phase run though it doesn't have the explosiveness on elementalist. I think pathfinder is much underrated for winter orb builds.

Concept
Concept is very simple, we use Indigon to scale up spell damage to boost winter orb. On paper, you can reach 1500-200% increased spell damage with sufficient mana and mana regen on gear and tree. On tree we take only life and mana nodes to scale Indigon with some points into duration and AOE nodes for winter orb. Scaling for Indigon gives you all the damage you need on this build while pathfinder gives you permanent uptime on flasks with 50% increased effect so that gives you all the defence you need. You have the option as well to sustain righteous fire for another 40% more spell damage. Build is highly scalable, on higher end gear this build can reach effective shaper DPS over 3 million. and 1-1.5million on starting budget gear.

Gameplay
Channel winter orb to reach max stacks (10 or 12), run as fast (phase run, quicksilver) as you can and watch mobs shatter. Rinse and repeat. On all bosses (including U.Elder) just run around spam winter orb and delete them. This build can take a hit or 2 including one shaper's slam in the face.

Notes on RF: RF gives you 39% more spell damage, and with vaal RF 78%. It is a straight up multiplier like pain attunement and definitely worth running it on harder bosses like U.Elder. Pathfinder allows you to sustain it with 45% less fire damage taken (wise oak + dying sun) at 4-5% life degen which you can deal with easily with life flask/ zerphi/ leech. It can be a problem when both flasks run out so be careful if running it on maps (desecrated ground).

Indigon DPS
Spoiler
Use this calculator for Indigon
https://alt0172.github.io/poe-indigon-calc/#20;0.2;5;58;60;65;0;0;6734;5007;2016;2016;44;0;0;0;0;35;26;40;5

Winter Orb DPS on POB = skill hit damage X number of projectiles.
POB calc on shaper with 1385% increased spell damage on Indigon. Only check enemies are chilled

Gem Links
WO- Conc effect- Controlled Destruction- Added Cold damage- slower projectiles/ LMP
Herald of ice - onslaught
Phase run - increased duration - Vaal RF- Arcane surge

Conc effect is the best gem multiplier for WO. You can get AOE back from tree and gear (eg. Dying sun alone on pathfinder gives you 37% increased AOE)

Note:
What, no GMP!?
More projectiles on WO doesn't necessarily mean more DPS due to spread and not every projectile can overlap/ shotgun. On pathfinder, you already get 3 more projectiles from dying sun most of the time, so GMP actually reduces your single target DPS. LMP is the best balance for bosses and map clearing, while slower proj gives you most DPS on single target.

Defenses
45% physical damage taken as cold
40% damage taken as mana (against 3000 unreserved mana, and 1100 mana regen)
45% less fire damage taken
30% less cold damage taken

Pros and Cons
+easy deathless boss kills including shaper/ uber elder
+MOM extra EHP (8200 for me with watcher's eye)
+Near Permanent flasks- Defense, AOE, speed and damage (more projectiles)
+immunity to all elemental ailments
+running around with RF and spamming spells is cool

-can't run ele reflect
-slower map clear compared to elementalist version
-no inpulsa + beacon of ruin explosion ecstasy (if that's your thing)
-Flask management

Required Gear

Spoiler

Helmet
Spoiler
This is the core of the build . Enchant is not really required but get increased AOE per stage of WO or + 2 stages enchant. I find AOE more valuable when you have more than sufficient damage. Combined with crafted gloves and dying sun you can get up to +20 radius on WO even with running conc effect.

Rings
Spoiler
Warlock mark curse is a must. The other ring look for life, mana, resists, added cold damage to spells

Jewel
Spoiler
Unless you run with Doedre gloves you need at least 1 fevered mind for indigon due to low mana cost of winter orb. 3 is the sweet spot for me. Watcher's eye clarity mana recovery is a must. Green nightmare is a luxury

Flasks
Spoiler
Dying sun is BIS and no brainer (3 additional projectiles, 37% increased AOE, 30% less fire damage). Zerphi synergize well with this build due to high cast speed and I find it also stronger during U.Elder fight as the life regen buff does not stop when taking dot damage. You can run with a life flask if preferred. Taste of hate for extra layer of defence against physical and U.Elder. For wise oak, cold resistance need to be highest and fire lowest (if running with RF)

Rest of the Gear

Spoiler

Body Armor
Spoiler
Life, mana, resist, % physical damage taken as cold. Or Loreweave

Amulet
Spoiler
Atziri's fioble costs 1 chaos and is BIS for this build (DPS through Indigon, EHP through mana). Pandemonius is an option but I don't think is better for this. Solstice vigil is good for mapping (especially if running with a HH)

Belt
Spoiler
Increased mana recovery is a must. Much desired increased cast speed while flask is active. Increased effect of flask for 1 more WO projectile or use conqueror's potency if you don't have that.

Gloves
Spoiler
Increased damage agst chilled enemies, life, resist. + 1 AOE craft to hit the next radius breakpoint for WO at 10 stages. Alternatively run with Doedre's Malevolence and that allows you to replace all fevered mind with good DPS jewels

Weapons
Spoiler
This is where the build is highly scalable and flexible. The dual sceptors I run is for max out DPS. When starting out I was able to kill U. Elder with 2 cheap wands like these without much issues.

POB link

Late league gear in Betrayal

Spoiler

Videos

Last edited by desmondk07 on Feb 17, 2019, 7:39:54 AM
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2019, 8:11:13 AM
Hi ! Mb u have some more Vids of the character ? :)

Btw. Gz on the build it's looking intresting :)
Last edited by madziar169 on Jan 30, 2019, 7:02:24 AM
Wow, i really liked ur post and this looks awesome to play, can u gimme some tips about leveling?
Hi, interesting build !
How good would you say a mark of the shaper ring would be instead of the rare one ?
My builds :

Fossil Farmer Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2321459

Vaal Spark Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2302486/page/1
This right here takes Winter Orb to the next level! The most engaging winter orb build I've experienced. I've taken a different route for building this character, most notably using a crafted staff with level 20 Arcane Surge and "Socketed skills deal 20% more damage". This opens my body armour 6-link to utilize Armageddon brand as a combo ability of dumping lots of mana really quickly, and to leech back extra mana with Mana Leech Support. It also has a huge mana cost, dumping ~5k mana in about 5-6 casts (Running 3 Fevered Mind jewels).

Mapping is moderately fast, I'm usually just winding up 12 stacks and running through maps with the occasional Phase Run bursts. Bosses die rather quickly, as is expected. I tried a T8 elder around level 84, and he got 1 ice spear attack off before I phased him.

I'm experimenting with Doedre's Malevolence gloves, for the +50 to mana cost base. It's a small boost to mana costs, simply reducing the Indigon ramp up time. They've been working decently for the build, but I'm toying with the idea of crafting cast speed gloves.

Overall I'm finding it to be a very fun and engaging build.

Edit: I wanna add how much fun the build is! Very durable due to the 40% damage taken as mana, which is regenerated very quickly.

Level 85 gear
Spoiler

Edit: Well I took this to the end and downed Uber Elder fairly easily. 49% MoM with insane mana regen makes this a very durable build. I think this has become my most favourite build of the league, right behind a Voidfletcher pathfinder.
Deathless Uber Elder kill
https://youtu.be/MtPBT1gHmS8

Level 92 Gear - Downed Uber Elder
Spoiler

Big thanks to desmondk07 for the guide!
Last edited by Atimar549 on Feb 6, 2019, 2:05:30 AM
"
iRa38 wrote:
Hi, interesting build !
How good would you say a mark of the shaper ring would be instead of the rare one ?

Indigon already gives you more than 1000% spell damage. At optimal setup, a mark of the shaper gives you ard 8% more DPS but you lose a lot of mana and mana regen which is both DPS and survivability. It's a consideration but personally I don't think is worth it

"
Atimar549 wrote:
This right here takes Winter Orb to the next level! The most engaging winter orb build I've experienced. I've taken a different route for building this character, most notably using a crafted staff with level 20 Arcane Surge and "Socketed skills deal 20% more damage". This opens my body armour 6-link to utilize Armageddon brand as a combo ability of dumping lots of mana really quickly, and to leech back extra mana with Mana Leech Support. It also has a huge mana cost, dumping ~5k mana in about 5-6 casts (Running 3 Fevered Mind jewels).

Mapping is moderately fast, I'm usually just winding up 12 stacks and running through maps with the occasional Phase Run bursts. Bosses die rather quickly, as is expected. I tried a T8 elder around level 84, and he got 1 ice spear attack off before I phased him.

I'm experimenting with Doedre's Malevolence gloves, for the +50 to mana cost base. It's a small boost to mana costs, simply reducing the Indigon ramp up time. They've been working decently for the build, but I'm toying with the idea of crafting cast speed gloves.

Overall I'm finding it to be a very fun and engaging build.

Spoiler

This is where I think this build shines in terms of flexibility. You can use any combination of weapons you like. I actually started by dual wielding apex rage and shade of solaris. After much testing, I still find that to have a sufficiently smooth gameplay and maintain both Indigon and WO stacks, you want to have at least 70 mana cost on WO and sufficient amount of cast speed (i have 43% on gear). I tried Doedre and while it frees up 2-3 fevered mind for more jewel slots, I find the 15% reduced cast speed a hindrance so not sure if worth it in the end especially when losing the additional AOE radius breakpoint
I'm playing a very similar build (just invested a little bit more on mana) and I want to say it's really phenomenal to face all the endgame content of PoE.

This is my gear so far (I'm still in the leveling phase - 92 atm - but I already killed Shaper, Elder / UElder and Guardians multiple times), I need to farm boots enchant which should allow an even better RF sustain but even without it the character has been a breeze to play, and has proven to be a great lab farmer too. Damage on bosses is nuts, especially when you can wisely precast Frost bomb + Vortex + Vaal RF. The tricky part was balancing Wise Oak defensively with flasks active to have Fire and Lightning resistances equal as the lowest ones.

I'm near to 10k EHP (5200 health and 4500 unreserved mana @ level 92), farming bosses deathless is a joke.

I'd definitely recommend this build idea, it's very enjoyable and I love the Indigon mechanics coupled with the Pathfinder ascendancy.
My lowlife Essence Drain Ascendant: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1627803
Last edited by djnat on Feb 17, 2019, 12:04:06 AM
Now all this need is how to lvl the char :)
I don't really think this build is ideal for league starter or I wouldn't recommend it. It's not impossible but think it might be rather painful to level a pathfinder as a spell-caster without the core items. Having said that people were dumping Indigon rather cheaply even at the first week of this league. Perhaps a way is to transition from blade vortex/ ele bow till you get an Indigon but haven't really thought about it yet. Any suggestions would be great :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info