Warframe free to play model a good one? Is it pay to win?

I am new to the game, have around 20h so far, but looking at the store, they are literally selling things like blueprints for items, mods, boosters, stash tabs, visuals and even have things like where you need to wait from 12h to even 24 and more hours to craft something (like in crappy mobile games) or pay money to skip it. They literally are selling almost everything they can, and not only visuals, but things that have a direct impact on the gameplay.

Can this be considered pay to win? Or because you can get them in game and there are no ladders its not pay to win? Even if you can get all this items in the game from the store, are the game drop rates, balance and progression made with those items that are sold in mind, to make the drop rates worse to try to annoy people to push them to buy those items or grind for a lot longer? Does this have a impact on the balance of the games amount of grind you need to do to get those items?

If this model is ok if there is no ladders, would it also be ok for PoE to have selling of booster and in game items if we have non competitive leagues without ladder?

I see a lot of people defending warframe model as saying its best one out there, but I just cant see how its good, as they are selling in game items for money, or you will need to invest a lot of time grinding. Compare it to POE where they are only selling visuals and stash tabs its like night and day.
Last bumped on Jan 24, 2019, 7:15:15 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
It's pay to win by PoE standards. By pretty much any other f2p metric, it's pay for convenience because you can get it all in-game. Given how much the game gives you 'for free', and how cheap skins/recolours are, I think it's a very fair model.

PoE is at one end of the extreme, where it sells no power but aesthetics are *ridiculously* expensive. Warframe is much closer to the middle -- some pay for convenience, some trading of real money currency in game, pretty cheap aesthetics. Then you have the serious p2w asian MMOs, which are *fucking gorgeous* out of the box but are riddled with obvious p2w.

There is serious grind in Warframe and there's no doubt you're encouraged to pay for the frames you really, really want instead of farming the bits and pieces, but grinding is so integral to the game you're sort of shortchanging yourself if you just buy the frames and weapons instead of earning them. Mostly I bought palettes (super cheap) and storage.

Thanks.
I have some platinum, what do you suggest to buy? I am not interested in visuals, but things that are very hard to get in game or impossible?
To limit everyone getting the best of the best whenever they like, DE implemented a mastery rank limit to number of trades you can do daily, taxes and don't forget, mastery rank limited weapons

You can refer to the table of locked equipment on this page located a bit until the end of article:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Mastery_Rank

After playing destiny2 I can say that I like warframe model and everything they do better, but won't write an essay about it now.

I'd rank warframe model 2nd to PoE, since having a weapon doesn't mean you have the power in warframe, you need to invest into primed versions of mods spending endo = grind, cant buy, potato your weapon a few times, again grind exp, otherwise you will be stuck with awesome weapon with mediocre stats, since some game content scales indefinitely, so that doesn't give you a "win" in any way.

I'd compare it to getting best base for a weapon in poe, and then having to spend exalts worth on it to make it viable.

Hope this comparison helps.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Jan 23, 2019, 3:59:20 AM
I think Warframe's model is far superior to PoE's. By the simple fact merely playing the game can get you anything you want in the game. ANYTHING. Stash space, Warframe space, cosmetics, etc. You are not limited to merely in-game items.

Because, Warframe has a single currency. Platinum. That platinum buys anything the game.

You can trade anything in the game for Platinum, that other players have bought. The drop rates aren't ruined; what holds you back is trades per day. You can't trade 24/7 in Warframe like you can in PoE. You get 1 trade per mastery rank. So I think when I quit Warframe I was like lvl 18 or something I dont remember. I could trade 18 or 19 times per day(cant remember if you started with one or not).

I think most people just don't trade. Why, I dont know. Its far easier in Warframe than PoE. I easily made over 1500 platinum for free just doing random trades during my couple months I spent in Warframe. I never spent a dime and could buy whatever I wanted. Just run some relics, sell the items on their PoE.Trade-type site, go on with your life. Would take 5 minutes tops, because items are not random. A prime piece is the same as any other. Its just whoever has the cheapest one up. And considering you can trade prime trash for Ducats, any piece of garbage you get from a relic is worth at least 3-5 platinum. So your time doing relic runs is never wasted.

Also, the reason being able to buy/craft with platinum works is because Warframe has horizontal progression, not linear progression.

Buying new weapons or frames arent going to make much difference on what you are capable of doing; your character is already a beast from the first second of the game. All buying a new frame or weapon does, is change how you play the game; it doesnt necessarily make you any stronger. You dont need that warframe, or that sword, or any of that stuff to go mow down monsters and be a space ninja. They start you out at near max power, outside of potatoes, mods, and whatnot. The items you get aren't going to make much difference on your ability to kill the mobs. It just might be more inline to what you find enjoyable. No matter what I built, farmed, or played with, I just enjoyed using a Shotgun the entire time. So thats what I played with.

Its honestly one if the biggest knocks, personally for me. You find out, you dont actually need any of that stuff to play the game. Its horizontal progression. There is no real end-game outside of doing the same thing you started. My only real end-game was doing long survivals just for fun, since you dont really get any better rewards, and doing relics for big drops I could sell for plat, just to amass plat as an end-game. There is no need for any new frames except just to enjoy killing the monsters in a different way.

Thats the beauty and the downfall of horizontal progression. You arent actually working for anything you NEED, you are working just to COLLECT. You are basically collecting outfits and items for your Paper Dolls and your GI Joe's. You dont need any of it to play the game. Its not like PoE, where its linear progression. You need that 6l, that new weapon to be able to do stuff. Your lvl 1 character in PoE is weak.

No, Warframe's starting put is the equivalent of making a new character at 75 that is already outfitted with a 6L and end-game weapon. And you just map to find a different weapon or 6l to use. Thats Warframe's progression in a nutshell.

Last edited by Destructodave on Jan 23, 2019, 5:05:05 AM
Yes, I've been running this one for a while on saryn, to easily spread spores and raise their damage, nice weapon until a certain point, still needs lots of upgrading.

Spreading salt since 2006
My wife plays it and says it is pay to win but I think it is complicated after questioning her about it.
Censored.
How hard/time consuming is to get platinum in game? I hear different things, some say its easy and fast, some say it will take a long time before you get to that point, and even than its a hit and miss
"
miljan wrote:
How hard/time consuming is to get platinum in game? I hear different things, some say its easy and fast, some say it will take a long time before you get to that point, and even than its a hit and miss

It depends how you go about it. Drifting Contact is easy to acquire in numbers once you're capable of running at least some Nightmare modifiers (timered Rescue is a freebie, for example), and they go for 10-15p a piece. Always sells quickly.

Corrupted Mods are fairly easy to solo-run with Inaros for example, and on top of probably wanting them yourself, there's a number of Corrupted Mods that go for 30p or so. Not the fastest but if you don't have all the Corrupted Mods, what do you have to lose? :P

Cracking relics and hoping for a Rare part is slow as balls for plat though - that's a big hit-or-miss situation. Crack relics to gather stuff you yourself want. Cracking relics works much better if you have a group of three/four people though!

's Yeah, it really depends. Honestly wouldn't know how to acquire plat 'fast' though, haha. I make due with the bits and pieces I gather from vaulted Relics and the various Invasion weapons (the weapon pieces from Invasions are all 15p+ save for two parts or so).
Is it possible to do this things solo? I dont like playing in parties as everyone is rushing and I cant play at my own speed.
I've been playing mostly solo lately, but generally prefer having a friend around. Running Sorties and Invasions, the little things in life, nice to kill an easy hour with :)
Since the removal of Trials, I don't think there's any multiplayer-exclusive content anymore?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info