Getting through the 90s grind quicker via high risk/reward

Giving the player the option of playing slightly higher level content will help the people who are getting burned out in the 90s, and it will reward high skill players/streamers by raising the skill ceiling if they choose to go the high risk/reward route. Pushing the maps to t20 would be a start, but an expansive endgame act with dailies would be ideal for all players.

The endgame act can be both grind heavy and expansive starting around 95, or 90 for extremely geared up players. It would require something story based like my Underworld expansion, with parts built in ready for expansion- the towers, the great void, and the lower levels with the uber elders and leviathans. Combined with daily quests, we would have an entire endgame ecosystem.

How to get players to the endgame is another story, but I am still heavily in favor of featuring streamers and community members on a homescreen videoplayer going over starter builds, with easy to access groupfinding and social features baked in.
Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 19, 2019, 4:42:20 AM
Last bumped on Jan 21, 2019, 7:44:55 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
So, you think that players are not getting to level 100 fast enough ?

I don't see a problem with people getting burned out at 95+, this is a really grindy grind after all, and it's not a bad thing.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jan 18, 2019, 7:32:41 PM
I'm not sure of a point past like 93. Sure I've gone past that but nothing changed as far as beating boss and whatnot but I had to learn the hard way per usual... just like 1000-2000 maps more grind for nothing really.

Anyway this league you can cheat system a bit with pure breachstone rotas. Like 200 instead of 2000 regular maps and you get your 100.

I'd use that mechanic if leveling is your thing.

You're burned out quite simply because its diminishing returns. Thats why achievement at 90 is called that.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 18, 2019, 10:54:47 PM
"
Fruz wrote:

I don't see a problem with people getting burned out at 95+, this is a really grindy grind after all, and it's not a bad thing.

Some people prefer a more traditional grindy experience, others prefer high risk/high reward. The game is already setup for both styles of play, as the difficulty scales quite nice until you hit the current ceiling.

New players to the genre will certainly appreciate more variety, and long time players will appreciate the lore that will be packaged with an endgame act.

Streamers and their fans also appreciate the high risk/high reward style. It's a win for everyone, even the OG arpg players once they find their favorite new spots to grind out.

Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 19, 2019, 12:14:23 AM
The whole point of high levels is the unhealthy grind.
100 is not something you deserve, not something you need, just something you can do if you really, really have a lot of free time and nothing better to do.

It is called a "soft cap" as it is letting you decide for yourself how far you are willing to go.

Today, there already are a few shortcuts to 100, pure breachstones and beachheads come to mind. But at least they are quite expensive, so you are trading currency for XP.

Higher XP normal content, or maybe even content that is "free"? This would defeat the purpose.

Not a good idea design-wise.

Spoiler
In ARPGs, it is a common thing to have a stupidly high xp cost for the last levels.

As an example, titan quest has no endgame content at all, you finish the game at around level 62 of 75, and you literally need to play for ages to get to 75, repeating content you beat before.

Sounds boring? Then don't do it. It's ok not to do it.

But you can be certain that you will find someone somewhere who is willing to push on and on. And he is the reason this system exists.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Jan 19, 2019, 12:45:48 AM
The whole point is to make it hard so ppl can epeen out. Lets be honest serves zero utility and has terrible price/performance. You can literally build 4 95's or 6 93s in time it takes to 100. 98 is halfway there lol.

Anyway if you need ego stroked that bad now is the time to do it. Pure breachstone give 10x exp as t16s
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 19, 2019, 12:59:02 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
The whole point of high levels is the unhealthy grind.
100 is not something you deserve, not something you need, just something you can do if you really, really have a lot of free time and nothing better to do.

Today, there already are a few shortcuts to 100, pure breachstones and beachheads come to mind. But at least they are quite expensive, so you are trading currency for XP.

Not a big fan of breachstones. And a shortcut implies an easier route, however, I am looking for higher risk/higher reward route, as well as a more established endgame.

There is nothing wrong with catering to the high risk/high reward crowd and the oldschool crowd. The only crowd we do not want to cater to is the casual crowd. Casuals know when they are being pandered to and was the downfall of WoW. Casuals enjoy a difficult game (dark souls), and I would never suggest an easier way. I am suggesting exciting high risk/reward routes for advanced players and streamers.

We have a long road ahead of us with the popularity slowly rising, console players are starting pick up the game, and we have that tencent money. Now we are getting to the point of how cool can we make this game.
Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 19, 2019, 2:24:23 AM
"
"
Fruz wrote:

Some people prefer a more traditional grindy experience, others prefer high risk/high reward. The game is already setup for both styles of play, as the difficulty scales quite nice until you hit the current ceiling.

Let's be honest, with the current power creep, the top efficiency builds could be in level 85-90 area and still just smahs everything, so ...
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
"
Fruz wrote:

Let's be honest, with the current power creep, the top efficiency builds could be in level 85-90 area and still just smahs everything, so ...

True that, adding more content can help negate the power creep by raising the ceiling, also: the top builds will be encouraged. The balancing factor is the cost. This will be a route for your third or fourth character of the season, or your decked out standard char.

Encouraging this high risk/reward playstyle, once the gear prereqs are met, will be great for streamers and viewers, as well of high skill players, and people who just really need to sink their teeth into some extra endgame content and lore. And of course there will be plenty of new content for OG players to pore over and pick out a route to grind out.

Last edited by PathxofxDante on Jan 19, 2019, 2:35:02 AM
If every player read this thread that complains about the various things that PoE doesn't do right, things would be a lot better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info