[3.8] Demi's Fastest Lemon: 190% Quantity Legacy MF Windripper Raider (ALL SKILLS + ALL CONTENT)

Mirrored Quant Helmed for me.... all good
I dropped more than 70ex on a basic version of this build - anyone looking at getting into MF builds (and this one in particular) it's a long term project, as the author said. I played it all weekend and got my first The Doctor drop in Burial Chambers. From reading the forums that seems quite lucky, and even though it's not of itself vindication, it might be indication as to the benefit of MF. Maybe it would have dropped on a normal character anyway, maybe it wouldn't.

There are a few potholes I hit putting this together that others may benefit from knowing about before going in. Included is information on the actual realities of Magic Find, as opposed to the mythology. Believe me, getting to the bottom of that particular rabbit hole took hours of research and a little bit of abuse on forums, as people are understandably defensive about builds they have sold their souls to afford (long post ahead):

Spoiler
1. Most importantly, while IIQ and IIR have been more or less proven to give benefits, the benefit is honestly minimal, is mainly in pure currency, and is not to be compared to the upfront cost of putting one of these characters together. If you don't enjoy the playstyle (I love it), you won't get anywhere near the value out of the character that you put into it. It will take literally 1000's and 1000's of maps to recoup your cost compared to just running a normal character through high level maps and farming bosses, and even then there is a chance you won't ever get ahead of the curve, RNG being what it is. You are betting on the Law of Large Numbers here. The closest we have to a mathematical breakdown of the benefits of IIQ has been put together in exhaustive detail by SlipperyJim. He also did a rather controversial IIQ vs IIR comparison here.

2. I promise you your return on an MF build is going to be much less than you expect it to be. There's a lot of passionate bullshit on forums and in game around this topic. Just saying that is going to get me some hate (I was crucified on Reddit for even asking the question), but it's the truth.

3. Lots of the gear has legacy versions (bow, gloves, chest etc. - the IIQ gem itself is legacy) which makes a significant difference to the level of IIQ you can get. You probably won't get access to those unless you have mirrors to blow on it all. I'm not kidding, the prices are pure insanity. This matters because there is a minimum number of items you need to make the build work, and the cost will be high just to get a character that works on the most basic level, let alone with high IIQ.

4. Some of the key starting items are complete noob traps. Ventor's Gamble, for example, rolls ranges of Quantity and Rarity (and resists) that vary into the negative. You have to be aware of this when buying them, as it's very easy to miss. This point alone cost me several ex in mistakes as traders are very keen to offload their dubiously rolled items onto MF noobs like me. If it says "Increased Item Rarity" it can and will Divine into "Decreased Item Rarity". Benefit from my loss.

5. Your character is going to be very under-powered no matter how much currency you dump into it, unless you have the multiple mirror tier items in the OPs build. I'm running Tier 5 Burial Chambers, and while it's now cake I can get completely bitch slapped by weirdly powerful rare mobs at times. I still skip the boss because the encounter is likely to kill me, has no certain benefit, and slows me down. I'm going to improve the build slowly so that I can deal with single targets, and bosses, but as of now I still can't.

6. Do. Not. Run. Elemental Reflect. Maps.

7. You will have to learn to shape your Atlas in order to sustain whichever map you decide to run. This also is a noob trap, and you may have to watch videos and read forum posts to learn the tricks. For Burial Chambers I recommend MbXtreme's YouTube video here. It can be a bit expensive to set up, so be aware you need some currency to do it going in. You will absolutely have to do it though, as this build when it's below the level of OP's gear needs to run targeted content. It can't deal with general mapping. Of all the things surrounding MF however, I'm pleased to report Atlas shaping absolutely does work, and works immediately, and well. You won't get that experience from any other aspect of any non God-level MF build. Take joy where you can, I say.

8. You will quickly feel as if you're gambling because, well, you are.

Gear

At level 94 I have 76% raw IIQ (which becomes 134% when I kill frozen enemies with Tornado Shot due to the IIQ gem and Windripper), and 112% IIR.

I went with the OP's suggestions with the exception of Ventor's Gamble rings, and Devoto's Devotion with a +1 arrow enchant (the +2 version is up to 5x more expensive). I only managed to get a +10 Quantity rare neck, but will swap it out for a Bisco's Collar when I can make up the life and resistances elsewhere (not easy). SlipperyJim calculates the collar is equivalent to about 50 IIQ, which is huge.

I mitigated the cost of Rigwald's Quills by farming Spider Forest for the cards, and used it to learn about Atlas shaping and what to do and not do to. The end result is just Alch and go. People argue passionately (and with false authority) about this, but to juice the maps up with chisels, sextants, and fragments gets very expensive very quickly and honestly the returns are not worth it. I tried all variants and had as much success with just Alch-ing. So in the end I just dropped 1ex on Alchemy Orbs and that has been sustainable. I did end up buying 3 of the 8 cards as I was farming on my main and it got tiresome, and so it may not have been any cheaper in the end. That's a common conclusion with all this BTW.

Amazingly, I had a legacy pair of Sadima's Touch in my stash from the few weeks I spent in the game in and around beta, so picked up an extra 10 IIQ over the new version. I will eventually - sooner than later I hope - get a Headhunter and that will transform this build into something I can hopefully take to red maps.

My current gear setup is below. It's a work in progress, naturally, but it's working for Burial Chambers:

In the end, if you don't enjoy the Tornado Shot fast map running play-style, stay away from MF altogether and stick to the stuff that you find fun. Once you dive into MF you are committed to the tune of 50ex+ immediately, and like me that may represent months of playing and learning and trading. Losing it all on a build that is squishy, of dubious value and payoff, and which you don't enjoy playing will break your heart.
Last edited by t0lkien on Aug 20, 2019, 2:37:48 AM
Take seriously notice of the 3.7 changes on guard supports
Simple advice. Don't use Immortal Call if you do not have Headhunter. Even with Headhunter, the chance to get endurance charges is a bit low. You might prefer the more stable option of a level 14+ Steelskin. Level it up as high as you Strength allows. At lvl17 works nice and its a more constant resource of damage reduction. It actually works as +hp pool when triggered.
Immortal Call is also spell attack mitigation though. As a ranged character that IMO is as important. If you're getting hit by melee too much, you're doing it wrong.
Last edited by t0lkien on Aug 19, 2019, 4:44:19 AM
"
t0lkien wrote:
Immortal Call is also spell attack mitigation though. As a ranged character that IMO is as important. If you're getting hit by melee too much, you're doing it wrong.

Steelskin is a spell attack mitigation too. It just won't absorb dot.
With Point Blank we do get melee a lot. Since I replaced IC with Steelskin, the farming is more carefree. The only matter that I'd see as an issue is the dot.
Last edited by Falcyon on Aug 19, 2019, 5:43:03 AM
"
Falcyon wrote:
With Point Blank we do get melee a lot. Since I replaced IC with Steelskin, the farming is more carefree. The only matter that I'd see as an issue is the dot.

I've taken your advice and swapped out to Steelskin. I wasn't getting hit a lot anyway so it's hard to tell how much better (or otherwise) it is, but I'll report back when I know for sure. It does look like it has more potential to insulate against sudden spike damage, which is obviously good.

@DemiGodKing, your written Gem setup includes Herald of Ice and Ice Golem, which for me doesn't leave a slot in the UI to use the Portal Gem. In your videos it doesn't like as if you are running either HoI or the Golem. Am I missing something?
Last edited by t0lkien on Aug 20, 2019, 4:11:41 AM
"
t0lkien wrote:
"
Falcyon wrote:

I've taken your advice and swapped out to Steelskin. I wasn't getting hit a lot anyway so it's hard to tell how much better (or otherwise) it is, but I'll report back when I know for sure. It does look like it has more potential to insulate against sudden spike damage, which is obviously good.

@DemiGodKing, your written Gem setup includes Herald of Ice and Ice Golem, which for me doesn't leave a slot in the UI to use the Portal Gem. In your videos it doesn't like as if you are running either HoI or the Golem. Am I missing something?

Ice Golem is supposed to be auto-cast, linked to CWDT.
Right now, you have a lvl [17] CWDT which can only cast lvl [17] Ice Golem but yours is lvl [20]. (Check the required character level in gem descriptions).
Options:
Scour the Ice Golem down to lvl [17]
or
If you have 155 Strength, you could use an all level [20] setup with CWDT+Steelskin+Ice Golem. This will be ideal setup. Hope you got life close to 5000hp.
A third option would be to keep the Ice Golem as self-cast skill. To free up a slot in UI, you'd have to hide the Herald of Ice once you activate it and put Portal in its place. Just remember to reactivate HoI when you die or unequip it.
"
t0lkien wrote:
I dropped more than 70ex on a basic version of this build - anyone looking at getting into MF builds (and this one in particular) it's a long term project, as the author said. I played it all weekend and got my first The Doctor drop in Burial Chambers. From reading the forums that seems quite lucky, and even though it's not of itself vindication, it might be indication as to the benefit of MF. Maybe it would have dropped on a normal character anyway, maybe it wouldn't.

There are a few potholes I hit putting this together that others may benefit from knowing about before going in. Included is information on the actual realities of Magic Find, as opposed to the mythology. Believe me, getting to the bottom of that particular rabbit hole took hours of research and a little bit of abuse on forums, as people are understandably defensive about builds they have sold their souls to afford (long post ahead):

Spoiler
1. Most importantly, while IIQ and IIR have been more or less proven to give benefits, the benefit is honestly minimal, is mainly in pure currency, and is not to be compared to the upfront cost of putting one of these characters together. If you don't enjoy the playstyle (I love it), you won't get anywhere near the value out of the character that you put into it. It will take literally 1000's and 1000's of maps to recoup your cost compared to just running a normal character through high level maps and farming bosses, and even then there is a chance you won't ever get ahead of the curve, RNG being what it is. You are betting on the Law of Large Numbers here. The closest we have to a mathematical breakdown of the benefits of IIQ has been put together in exhaustive detail by SlipperyJim. He also did a rather controversial IIQ vs IIR comparison here.

2. I promise you your return on an MF build is going to be much less than you expect it to be. There's a lot of passionate bullshit on forums and in game around this topic. Just saying that is going to get me some hate (I was crucified on Reddit for even asking the question), but it's the truth.

3. Lots of the gear has legacy versions (bow, gloves, chest etc. - the IIQ gem itself is legacy) which makes a significant difference to the level of IIQ you can get. You probably won't get access to those unless you have mirrors to blow on it all. I'm not kidding, the prices are pure insanity. This matters because there is a minimum number of items you need to make the build work, and the cost will be high just to get a character that works on the most basic level, let alone with high IIQ.

4. Some of the key starting items are complete noob traps. Ventor's Gamble, for example, rolls ranges of Quantity and Rarity (and resists) that vary into the negative. You have to be aware of this when buying them, as it's very easy to miss. This point alone cost me several ex in mistakes as traders are very keen to offload their dubiously rolled items onto MF noobs like me. If it says "Increased Item Rarity" it can and will Divine into "Decreased Item Rarity". Benefit from my loss.

5. Your character is going to be very under-powered no matter how much currency you dump into it, unless you have the multiple mirror tier items in the OPs build. I'm running Tier 5 Burial Chambers, and while it's now cake I can get completely bitch slapped by weirdly powerful rare mobs at times. I still skip the boss because the encounter is likely to kill me, has no certain benefit, and slows me down. I'm going to improve the build slowly so that I can deal with single targets, and bosses, but as of now I still can't.

6. Do. Not. Run. Elemental Reflect. Maps.

7. You will have to learn to shape your Atlas in order to sustain whichever map you decide to run. This also is a noob trap, and you may have to watch videos and read forum posts to learn the tricks. For Burial Chambers I recommend MbXtreme's YouTube video here. It can be a bit expensive to set up, so be aware you need some currency to do it going in. You will absolutely have to do it though, as this build when it's below the level of OP's gear needs to run targeted content. It can't deal with general mapping. Of all the things surrounding MF however, I'm pleased to report Atlas shaping absolutely does work, and works immediately, and well. You won't get that experience from any other aspect of any non God-level MF build. Take joy where you can, I say.

8. You will quickly feel as if you're gambling because, well, you are.

Gear

At level 94 I have 76% raw IIQ (which becomes 134% when I kill frozen enemies with Tornado Shot due to the IIQ gem and Windripper), and 112% IIR.

I went with the OP's suggestions with the exception of Ventor's Gamble rings, and Devoto's Devotion with a +1 arrow enchant (the +2 version is up to 5x more expensive). I only managed to get a +10 Quantity rare neck, but will swap it out for a Bisco's Collar when I can make up the life and resistances elsewhere (not easy). SlipperyJim calculates the collar is equivalent to about 50 IIQ, which is huge.

I mitigated the cost of Rigwald's Quills by farming Spider Forest for the cards, and used it to learn about Atlas shaping and what to do and not do to. The end result is just Alch and go. People argue passionately (and with false authority) about this, but to juice the maps up with chisels, sextants, and fragments gets very expensive very quickly and honestly the returns are not worth it. I tried all variants and had as much success with just Alch-ing. So in the end I just dropped 1ex on Alchemy Orbs and that has been sustainable. I did end up buying 3 of the 8 cards as I was farming on my main and it got tiresome, and so it may not have been any cheaper in the end. That's a common conclusion with all this BTW.

Amazingly, I had a legacy pair of Sadima's Touch in my stash from the few weeks I spent in the game in and around beta, so picked up an extra 10 IIQ over the new version. I will eventually - sooner than later I hope - get a Headhunter and that will transform this build into something I can hopefully take to red maps.

My current gear setup is below. It's a work in progress, naturally, but it's working for Burial Chambers:

In the end, if you don't enjoy the Tornado Shot fast map running play-style, stay away from MF altogether and stick to the stuff that you find fun. Once you dive into MF you are committed to the tune of 50ex+ immediately, and like me that may represent months of playing and learning and trading. Losing it all on a build that is squishy, of dubious value and payoff, and which you don't enjoy playing will break your heart.

My thoughts after lots of MF. Just use an IIQ gem and maybe a ring/amulet combo and go... This alone gives you a massive IIQ boost (90%) and you can happily farm and map anything you want, even into red tier, and you're not build locked... You can chuck them into anything.

The other few % points you're trying to get are not worth it... Use your regular 30% movement speed boots and just map faster. Fuck the 5% IIQ belt and get a regular belt with damage, life, resists (until you get HH) so you can go faster and higher.

But if you're happy farming white maps all day long while being build locked into windripper then yeah feel free to spend crazy exalts to optimise gear and spend your life in those maps :p

All I'm saying is don't feel like you have to spend all your life and time playing this build... Just play regularly with any build you want with some quick IIQ swaps and you'll get great results.. and then you can come back periodically to this build (as let's face it, this build is ultimate min/max MF and something to build towards over time...)
Last edited by brunowa on Aug 20, 2019, 6:31:37 PM
@Falycon yeah I suspected the Golem was on autocast. I was aware of my gem difference with CWDT, and am going to level it to 20. I don't get hit nearly as much as my Golem, so I'm pretty sure I will still have to self cast to renew his hitpoints, but we'll see. I didn't know you could activate a gem and then drop it from the task bar, so live and learn!

@Brunowa probably very good advice, and I may be following it once I've saturated my tolerance for Burial Chambers. Right now I am pushing for a Headhunter and I've never really focus farmed like this in PoE before, so I'm interested to see how it goes for a while. This type of gameplay is pretty unique to PoE after all, and it's "endgame" manipulation of the systems that I've never done.

I really like TS though, and will almost certainly refit the character to be as powerful as possible for red maps + bosses.

Last edited by t0lkien on Aug 20, 2019, 10:23:45 PM
"
t0lkien wrote:
@Falycon yeah I suspected the Golem was on autocast. I was aware of my gem difference with CWDT, and am going to level it to 20. I don't get hit nearly as much as my Golem, so I'm pretty sure I will still have to self cast to renew his hitpoints, but we'll see. I didn't know you could activate a gem and then drop it from the task bar, so live and learn!

@Brunowa probably very good advice, and I may be following it once I've saturated my tolerance for Burial Chambers. Right now I am pushing for a Headhunter and I've never really focus farmed like this in PoE before, so I'm interested to see how it goes for a while. This type of gameplay is pretty unique to PoE after all, and it's "endgame" manipulation of the systems that I've never done.

I really like TS though, and will almost certainly refit the character to be as powerful as possible for red maps + bosses.

I think you are on the right track. Just to cheer you up, I can farm full mods T16 maps fast and kill Uber Elder deathless, and I still have plenty of room for improvements on my gear. The word fast is important here, otherwise MF kind of loose its purpose. We stack quant but we should clear things fast. Now that abyss jewels were nerfed its harder to achieve that (that's our main source of damage), but achievable nonetheless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info