I'm new to this genre and need expert advice on respecing my templar

I assume upon one look at my passive skill tree that you know I've died quite allot once I got to merciless. I have 3 respec points and 5 orbs or regret that I wanna use to improve that but have no clue where to start. Also if you think I should start over with a new templar to make this built work I'm willing to do that as well.

click to my view passive tree

Class: Templar
Skill points used: 71
+242 to Strength
+74 to Dexterity
+102 to Intelligence
+95% to Cold Resistance
+125% to Fire Resistance
+95% to Lightning Resistance
31% increased Cold Damage
31% increased Fire Damage
31% increased Lightning Damage
1% of Life Regenerated per Second
24% increased maximum Life
40% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
+20 Life gained when you Kill an enemy
4% increased Attack Speed with Maces
30% increased Critical Strike Multiplier with Maces
20% increased Accuracy Rating
22% increased Melee Physical Damage
39% increased Physical Damage with Staves
2% increased Attack Speed with Staves
44% increased Armour
44% increased maximum Energy Shield
24% increased Physical Damage with Maces
12% increased Physical Damage with Two Handed Melee Weapons
8% increased Accuracy Rating with Maces
8% increased Accuracy Rating with Staves
2% additional Block Chance With Staves
20% increased Elemental Damage with Maces
1% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched back as Life
Keystones:

Weapons:

(brimstone cracked steelhead)

I use (brimstone cracked steelhead) two hand mace linked with lightning strike, added lightning damage, weapons elemental damage and melee physical.

spell totem linked with artic breath, cold to fire, greater multiple projectiles.

ground slam linked with life leech, added fire damage and faster attacks.

firestorm linked with fire penetration, life gain on hit.

I use raise spectre, raise zombie and summon skeletons (mostly when i solo).

(staff is my secondary weapon but most been using mace due to not finding right staff yet)

Gear:

head - apocalyse crown mesh chain colf.

body - behemothmoth guardian chain hauberk.

hand - maelstrom palm ringmail gloves.

feet - soul urge ancient greaves.

flask:

3 hybrid 1 ample granite flask of steadiness 1 flask for mana.
Last edited by Khadus on Mar 6, 2013, 12:47:46 PM
Weird build. I would say that you should just start over, as I would have done that in your place, but I don't want you to do that if a solution could be found to suit you.

Basically, the mass resistance you have chosen is really not needed. Instead, drop most resistance except all resistance nodes and get something else.

By looking from the passive effects listed in your post, your additional health is a huge problem. If you are actually running melee skills (which your spec clearly shows), having only 24% increased maximum Life is not nearly enough. I have almost 4k life, maxed resistances and a lot of armor, and still some tougher rare maps can deal some dangerous damage to me.

You stated that you had 3 respec points and 5 regrets, which won't really fix your build for you. Although with about 13-15 regrets you can at least get a bit more of the defensive goodies, which could give you something like this build, which won't really be a "fix" yet, but it will get you somewhere at least.

All the above aside, I guess your damage is fine, right? Evaluate how much damage is needed and remove damage nodes accordingly as you get more respec points.

All in all you'd need quite a few more respec points to get into a very functional melee build.

I hope you can salvage it and keep playing without needing to reroll. Either way, I hope I could be of some use.
Thanks for responding and sharing your advice. I really appreciate it. I going to make the changes you suggested and also start another templar.
U should not rely on one answer. So, since u start over again, just pick out a build that fits ur needs and read it, read different builds, think about it. Also check out this cute new site http://www.exilepro.com/. Read the wiki etc. Good luck.
I like the site you linked. Looks great. Thanks this is going to come in handy.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info